Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2007

davejq is on a distinguished road
What's the sailing like in NC??

I recently bought a 32' heavy-ish displacement ketch 4'6" draft believing that I'd be staying put for a couple of years, but my firm now want me to relocate to Raleigh, NC. Is it worth taking my boat with me? The nearest waters look like Albemarle Sound, Pamlico River, Neuse River leading to the enclosed Sound. What's the sailing like around here? Any local info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2007

ianbass is on a distinguished road
the sailing is good. you could also put your boat at karr lake, there are a lot of large sailbots there, its big but nothing is like the ocean.
Old 06-23-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
You could look for slip space in New Bern and have plenty of sailing opportunities. The Nuese is quite wide and well marked and will take you down to Pamlico Sound. Having come over from Texas, I can't imagine a better place that isn't on the Ocean, to have a sailboat. Particularly if you can put together a few days at a time to make short trips.

Currently at 35 32 10 N 76 37 21 W

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Yeah...4-6' ain't a bad draft for here either but coming from Raleigh...Plymouth, Columbia or Edenton (all on the Albermarle) would be easier commutes. Still it is a long drive...about 2 hours so you really need the whole weekend to make the trip worthwhile. Heavy displacement is not ideal for these waters, but your draft is OK and there are LOTS of nice places to visit when you can get away on vacation in Coastal NC.
Clairborne Young has a good book you might like to read on it. Here's his site:
Watermark Publishing - Sailing Boating Boat Cruising Nautical Sail

Lots of good NC info here too:
Salty Southeast Cruisers' Net ~ Your home for all the cruising news along the ICW

Good luck!
Old 06-23-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
A couple of good local resources:

Carolina Sailing Club - Central North Carolina Sailboat Racing!
NCsail.org

As mentioned, New Bern is great. Morehead City is just a little further down and the ocean access is more direct, but there is certainly a lot of great sailing to be had in the sounds. There is basically no mainland beach in NC; some sounds are small and others very large, but there are marinas and slips off the channels all up and down the inside coast (behind the barrier islands). I think you probably have a bit much boat for our lakes. Kerr is big and deep, but you probably want more water. I won't even bother suggesting Jordan. It's a nice lake and has depth in the main pool and is big enough for racing, but not really cruising.
Old 06-24-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by davejq
I recently bought a 32' heavy-ish displacement ketch 4'6" draft believing that I'd be staying put for a couple of years, but my firm now want me to relocate to Raleigh, NC. Is it worth taking my boat with me? The nearest waters look like Albemarle Sound, Pamlico River, Neuse River leading to the enclosed Sound. What's the sailing like around here? Any local info would be appreciated. Thanks.
We live in Raleigh and keep our boat in Oriental which is "the sailing capital of NC." Not sure when they adopted that title but it's true. There are more boats that live there than locals... obviously a very small town! The drive is 3 hours...2 1/2 if you are on the road late and there is no traffic. Sailing on the Neuse River is great (about 1.75 miles accross) and it's very close to the Pamlico sound. From there you can go to Ocracoke. There is an inlet there that will take you out to the Atlantic. Also closer to Oriental is the ICW... take this over to Beaufort/Morehead and straight out to Cape lookout, the Atlantic, etc. Your 4'6" draft will not be a major concern but you will want to pay close attention to the channels when navigating. The Neuse River Has a max depth of 24-26 feet in a lot of areas but also can get very shallow... like 4-7 feet in some areas. There are shoals but they are well marked.

It would be nice to have our boat closer to us but we don't mind the trip at all. You would definately want to make atleast a weekend of it though. As far as the lakes around here... Kerr Lake is nice but i would think with a boat your size you will want to do coastal cruising... not lake sailing. Jordan lake is not really an option for you... too small/shallow.

Here's a local website for the area TownDock.net

Good luck!

Last edited by Joel73; 06-24-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-26-2007

A couple of additional links for you...

Here is a map of the NC coast with all the marinas marked and the inland waterways (not a navigational map, but has channels and depths will give you an idea of which areas might be possible stomping grounds):

NCDOT GIS - Coastal Boating Guide

and here is the page where you can have them send you a paper copy of that map free of charge (my tax dollars at work):

NCDOT, Communications Office

They will even send you a couple of copies so you can leave one in the bathroom with the sailing magazines.
Old 06-26-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
After coming up the Ablemarle Sound to Edenton, I am renaming it on my charts as "Crabpot Sound". From what I've seen in my travels so far, I'd go with the Nuese over the Ablemarle. In a week or so, I'll be heading up the Pamlico River to Bath and Washington, and I'll comment on them at that time.

Currently at 36 03 21 N 76 36 37 W

JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 06-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer
After coming up the Ablemarle Sound to Edenton, I am renaming it on my charts as "Crabpot Sound". From what I've seen in my travels so far, I'd go with the Nuese over the Ablemarle. In a week or so, I'll be heading up the Pamlico River to Bath and Washington, and I'll comment on them at that time.

Unfortunately, there is a reason you did not see Crabpots in the Neuse. You may have seen some of these:

- Just an FYI; we do have indoor plumbing. It is the hog farms that are the primary cause, not human waste:
Pfiesteria and other consequences related to factory farms

Last edited by arbarnhart; 06-26-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-26-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

Well, that's why I have a boat, so I stay on the water, not in it

Actually though, it's the jellyfish that would keep me out of the water on the Nuese. It is a good body of water for sailing though, in my view. And from Oriental, you've got some nice overnight trips you can make on a weekend, in either direction. Or down to Beaufort/Morehead City and out to the Ocean.

JCP

- Website & Blog

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.