Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Please note that CD has enough solar and wind generation capacity on his floating bbq barge to power the eastern seaboard for a while. Therefore, he can run a high amperage device, like the dehumidifier, with impunity.

I, having significantly less power generation capacity, prefer to keep the boat dry by keeping as much water out of her as is possible.
Ahh, you're just jealous!!! Besides, you better be nice to me. Or I will flip the switch on my panels and the lights will go off at your house!

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I know what you mean... installing the first one took a lot longer than the second one... I was there for 45 minutes and my friend said... "you're gonna have to cut a hole for the vent sometime this year..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99
I agree I also have 2 on my boat. But it did give me great pain, to drill/cut a 4 inch hole in the cabin top.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-29-2007
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Ronbye - I've used the thin, absorbent "Dry Bunk" under cushion material before (which seemed to work) on previous boats. There is a "new" product out there that won a Pittman innovation award last year, called the Froli Sleep System. I'm putting it on my new boat, which I should close on in a week or so. The Froli set up is a lot more expensive, relatively speaking, but will be worth it. It'll make the vee berth a lot more comfortable and stay dry at the same time.

Froli Sleep Systems by Nickle Atlantic, LLC

"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 06-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Froli system is excellent, but only good for permanent berths IMHO. The other materials can be used under basically any cushions on a boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-29-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
EnkaMat or equal material is typically found at contruction supply places for foundation contractors. As that is the main purpose for this material. Altho it can be used for drainage issues too. You have to buy a full roll, which will be more than adequite for 3-4 30'ish foot boats. So IF one is going to buy this product, make sure there is a couple folks buying the roll, as the roll is typically $250-300 ea.

Marty
Old 06-29-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
The stuff I used is also called Cedar Breather and is actually marketed for use as a cedar shingle underlayment - allowing the shingles to dry out, extending their longevity. Curiously though, it looks and feels the same as the EnkaMat and Enkadrain fabric. Could be the matrix manufacturer, markets and packages it under different companies.

Last edited by TrueBlue; 06-29-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-29-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
The stuff I used is also called Cedar Breather and is actually marketed for use as a cedar shingle underlayment - allowing the shingles to dry out, extending their longevity. Curiously though, it looks and feels the same as the EnkaMat and Enkadrain fabric. Could be the matrix manufacturer, markets and packages it under different companies.
Wouldn't be the first time... and probably has different price points for the same exact material, depending on the sales market... Look at Penetrol. The marine version, which sells in the chandelries goes for about $12 a quart, goes for $9 a quart in the hardware store. IIRC, they are exactly the same thing with the exception of the packaging. The computer industry does the same thing—often the exact same accessory will be sold in the Macintosh department of a computer store for about 10-15% more than it is going for in the PC side of the store. No difference in capabilities or hardware specifications, just a difference in price and packaging.

Telstar 28
New England