Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007

majorm is on a distinguished road
Sailing with transmission in reverse-what is that sound?

Ok, so I went sailing this weekend and put the transmission in reverse (I have a Volvo saildrive) as suggested by other prominent members of this forum, and there was a low humming sound which went away when the engine was put in neutral (replaced by the sound of the prop turning). It was fairly quiet such that as the boat speed got above 6 knots I could barely hear it over the sound of the wind and waves. What is that from? Since it was hard to hear at higher boat speeds, I am sure Giu has never heard it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It could be the sound caused by the water moving by the stopped propellor... do you have a fixed-blade prop or a feathering/folding prop? Is it two or three-blades? This information would help narrow it down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-26-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
A.) Its the sound of silence
B.) You can finally hear the hamster wheel in your head
C.) I have no idea, but SD is probably right

Vaya con Dios
Old 06-26-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Maybe you had simply attracted a Humming Fish or else you had skewered a passing Tenor Shark or a Song Ray.. Couldn't have been a whale cos they sing but don't hum while of Fiddler Crabs are purely instrumentalists.

Then again it could have simply been the sound of impending empty walletitus.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 06-26-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Majorm

Don’t take any notice of mangy Wombat, he eats roots and leaves. It sound expensive or you could say it may save you money. Sounds like you have a buggered thrust bearing when it is turning it would self centre and is quiet when locked the movement of water over the propeller even a folding one will cause it to oscillate indicating a worn or lose bearing. Now doesn’t that not deserve some rep points?

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 06-26-2007

majorm is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the suggestions Simon. I currently have a fixed 3 blade prop, but will likely change for a folding prop after the summer.
Old 06-26-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Correct me if I am wrong here (yes it has happened once or twice ) but I thought that the reason we put our diesels into reverse is so that the cutlass bearings/shafts/stuffing boxes don't wear out prematurely.

I don't think that you have those on a saildrive... or do you ???
Old 06-27-2007
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
We have a Yanmar 2GM SD20 (sail-drive), with a two-blade folding prop, the same thing happened to me last week. We usually sail with the gear in neutral. However, a friend was on board and he was at the helm, he put the gear in reverse after we turned the engine off, which I did not notice at first. After a while of sailing I go below only to hear this 'noise', which did not sound good. We determined the gear was in reverse and once put in neutral the noise stopped - quiet as usual.

What was the 'noise'? Is there something I need to address with the engine/transmission/prop?
Old 06-27-2007

haffiman37 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by max-on
We have a Yanmar 2GM SD20 (sail-drive), with a two-blade folding prop, the same thing happened to me last week. We usually sail with the gear in neutral. However, a friend was on board and he was at the helm, he put the gear in reverse after we turned the engine off, which I did not notice at first. After a while of sailing I go below only to hear this 'noise', which did not sound good. We determined the gear was in reverse and once put in neutral the noise stopped - quiet as usual.

What was the 'noise'? Is there something I need to address with the engine/transmission/prop?
2-blade folding props might, depending on design, have the naughty habbit of flapping the blades together if You lock the gear-box. May give an 'alarming' sound/knock. In general You may let sail-drives trail as they does not have a lubrication problem like most straight-shaft gear-boxes. The only thing is You perhaps should change the prop shaft seal every second year or so, but that is no big deal.
Old 06-27-2007
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Thanks Haffiman37, that's what I thought, but it is always good to get a second opinion.