Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Slip Sub-Lease via Slip Renter

I have questions regarding "borrowing" a slip from another owner. We are going to vacation on the week of the 4'th and there is an available slip via the slip "owner" in the area where we wish to stay. Their boat will be gone during that time and they are offering it to us at a rate that is reduced relative to the marina transient fees; I don't think that the marina will be involved in the transaction.

My questions are the following:

1) Does the marina need to be notified that I will be berthing in a slip that is already "paid for"?
2) Is it possible that the marina could charge me additional fees if I do not notify them that I am going to use the slip short-term (1 week)?
3) Is a vessel lein possible in the case of 2?
4) Should I "heads up" the harbor master by asking about slip sublet policies just to be sure?

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
You need to ask the slip "owner" those questions. His deal with the marina may allow him to sublet it himself, or it may not. he needs to tell you that his deal with you is legit with the marina.

Here on the Chesapeake, I think it is fairly standard for the marina to have a say over sub-letting no matter for how long. I know my lease says if I am leaving the slip empty for more than 3 days (I think it is) I need to notify the marina. The marina has first right to "sublet" the slip if they so choose. My telling them my plans also let's them know that I have the boat and it's not MIA.

In any case, I'd get this straight before you show up at the slip and possibly find there's a problem not of your making.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 06-25-2007
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
My lease strickly forbids sub-leting the slip. The reason giving to me for the price difference was that month to month leasors are required to cary insurance, where as transients were not. I don't think any respectable marina would allow the subleting of a slip with out requiring some sort of insurance that would protect the marina and the other boat owners
Old 06-25-2007
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the replies; makes perfect sense. I will check with the slipholder and marina to find out what the policy is.
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The advice you've been given is very good... it would put a major crimp in your plans if the marina, knowing the tenant will be gone, sold the space to a transient boat during the time you were supposed to be in it and had paid for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.