Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
Corsair Trimaran sailors

I am thinking about getting a trimaran, I sailed on one this weekend and there was maybe 10 knots of wind and we were doing 7 to 8 knots and the boat felt very balanced! I crew up on a munhaull, we had a 33 ft abbott and it was pretty safe.

I am wondering if anyone capsized or if anyone had problems or have gotten in trouble with there trimaran? What are your experiences ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I have a trimaran, and love it... I regularly go out in weather that keeps the powerboats and most sailboats in the harbor.

Last fall, we went out in 20 knots with gusts up to 28 and 4-6' seas, and were doing 12 knots for most of the day. By the end of the day, it was blowing 27-28 knots with gusts in to the mid-30s, and 5-7' seas, with the occassional 9-10' wave to keep you on your toes.

You might want to get the following two books, if you're interested in getting a multihull: Chris White's The Cruising Multihull and Thomas Firth Jones's Multihull Voyaging.

A well-designed cruising trimaran is very difficult to capsize, and is a remarkably stable boat. Most of the stories you hear about capsized multihulls are due to operator error, and usually in a racing situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-26-2007
John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
Why weren't you doing like 20 knots I thought trimarans match the wind speed?
I am looking for a 36 footer does Telstar make one? I couldn't find one on the INTERNET.
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It is very difficult to do wind speed if you have to punch through 4-6' seas like that. That, and having reduced sail up, reduces your ability to sail at or above wind speed. On flat seas, that is normally quite easy to do.

Trying to go as fast as possible is generally what causes most of the multihull capsizes... and I don't plan on having mine turn turtle any time soon.

The Telstar 28 has two older siblings, the Telstar 26, which is also a folding trimaran design, and a much larger Telstar 35, but the Telstar 35 is rather rare AFAIK. If you're looking for a folding trimaran in the 36' range, you can go with either the Corsair F36, or the slightly larger Quorning Dragonfly 1200.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-27-2007

ianfarrier is on a distinguished road
There is actually no such thing as a Corsair F36 - I separated from Corsair in 2000, and removed their right to use my F-boat trademarks soon after. There is my F-36 design (which has done a circumnavigation) and the Corsair C36, which I do not recommend.

If looking for more information on trimarans, their safety, and performance, then look at my web site at Trimaran and Catamaran Designs By Farrier Marine, Inc.. I even have photos of capsized trimarans. But in this regard I have sailed and raced my trimaran designs for over 40 years now, in some very rough conditions (up to 80 knots), but have never managed to capsize one yet. Well not strictly true, as I did capsize one twice deliberately to check out a righting system.
Ian Farrier
The Following User Says Thank You to ianfarrier For This Useful Post:
sailmatthew (09-23-2013)
Old 06-27-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfarrier
There is actually no such thing as a Corsair F36 - I separated from Corsair in 2000, and removed their right to use my F-boat trademarks soon after. There is my F-36 design (which has done a circumnavigation) and the Corsair C36, which I do not recommend.

If looking for more information on trimarans, their safety, and performance, then look at my web site at Trimaran and Catamaran Designs By Farrier Marine, Inc.. I even have photos of capsized trimarans. But in this regard I have sailed and raced my trimaran designs for over 40 years now, in some very rough conditions (up to 80 knots), but have never managed to capsize one yet. Well not strictly true, as I did capsize one twice deliberately to check out a righting system.
Ian Farrier

Being a newbie, you have a very cool website. I am looking to buy in a couple of years after I get some experience
Old 06-27-2007
Telstar 28

Sorry, my bad Ian... I knew that you and Corsair had parted ways, and that you did not design the C36, but that it is based on your previous designs in many ways.

I have read your site quite often in the past, and have learned quite a bit from it.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-27-2007
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt
Being a newbie, you have a very cool website. I am looking to buy in a couple of years after I get some experience

They say its a 36 Corsair here it is, Sailing World - Corsair 36, Fast Cruising Tri
Old 07-01-2007
Summer Storm

guajiro is on a distinguished road
Anything Ian Farrier touches is absolute GOLD! His designs are truly Second to None. I have often thanked GOD for his attention to detail especially when crossing the Gulf Stream in 10 footers heading home.
Old 07-01-2007

drsm is on a distinguished road
I'm a big admirer of Ian's work, too. I'd really like to see his F-33, but it's apparently not in production. Does anyone know how that compares to the Corsair 31?