Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
...been boating since 1957, with 20 years in the USCG.
Still boating...
Reccon that's a "water logged" sailor..!?!?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaspot

I OWN A BLOWBOAT AND I'M PROUD OF IT!
Technically, it's a "suckboat", but that doesn't really improve matters, does it?
Old 06-26-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
I won't call them stinkpots.... earned my living on the sea all of my adult life. (Some would call it an extended childhood). But I do enjoy both Sail and power. But don't care for the PWCs or those high speed boats that look like they came out of an adult toy store.
Actually whether they are a stinkpot or not depends on whether how clean the crew keeps the vessel. Some would make old sneakers smell clean. "Blankety blank" lazy captain & crew.
Have gone aboard some boats and it smells as if they never knew what a shower or clean clothes are. Even the bedding stinks.... Now those are stinkpots. Sail or power.
Old 06-26-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I have my own opinion about what you are trying to say here, and I disagree a little with what you say. Sorry.

I think that the difference lies not in the fact that a sailboat has an engine or not. A sailboat is intended to sail at sailboat speeds, even with engine on.

In my opinion it is simple, even with an engine, a sailboat skipper is still using his boat as if it was on sail...AND THAT is the difference. A sailboat person, tries as much as possible to turn the engine off, to show off his skills, a powerboater wants more power to show off how small his penis is...

That is in my side of the ocean, the difference...I do have an engine, and God knows how much I hate to use it, if I could get away from it, I would...I can't unfortunately. However, even with the engine on, MY BOAT is manouvered and handled as if it was under sail.....thus even on power I am a sailboater...a power boater...will allways be a power boater, he has no more locomotion options...that is an advantage.
Old 06-26-2007

jpclowes is on a distinguished road
[quote=Fstbttms]"Blowboaters"? It's clear you've been a stinkpotter all your life. Could you possibly come up with a less attractive term to describe sailors?

I think the other term that I hear powerboaters call us is "Rag Boater." It is probably more appropriate, although my "rags" cost a lot of cash.

BTW I haven't used my motor in about 4 years, but I sail on a small lake.
Old 06-26-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaspot

Yes, I am sure that could come up with a less attractive term to describe just about everyone. How sensitive can you be? Blowboat is bad but a stinkpot is a good term? Lemme guess, you never fart either. You just release green gasses from your rectal area.

Geezy peezy.

I OWN A BLOWBOAT AND I'M PROUD OF IT!
As an admitted novice, and pretty unsure of the physics behind the sail, but don’t the sails actually create a suction on the leading edge. So technically we would not be a blowboater, but suck-N-blow boaters
Old 06-26-2007

TheGuinness is on a distinguished road
I think the whole elitist thing about boat type detracts from the beauty and pleasure that is being on the water along with the possibility of friendship and comradery that two people can share in common interest.

No matter what your ride, you're still out there and that can't be bad. What benefit is there to finding some way to insult someone rather than look for the things you like incommon?
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
I think that the difference lies not in the fact that a sailboat has an engine or not. A sailboat is intended to sail at sailboat speeds, even with engine on.
Unfortunately, there are those that aren't really good sailboats, like the MacGregor 26 that tries to be both...

Quote:
In my opinion it is simple, even with an engine, a sailboat skipper is still using his boat as if it was on sail...AND THAT is the difference. A sailboat person, tries as much as possible to turn the engine off, to show off his skills, a powerboater wants more power to show off how small his penis is...
LOL... unfortunately, not all sailboat skippers believe in trying to keep the engine off as much as possible. They may have some latent powerboater genes in them.

Quote:
That is in my side of the ocean, the difference...I do have an engine, and God knows how much I hate to use it, if I could get away from it, I would...I can't unfortunately. However, even with the engine on, MY BOAT is manouvered and handled as if it was under sail.....thus even on power I am a sailboater...a power boater...will allways be a power boater, he has no more locomotion options...that is an advantage.
There is a huge difference in mindset between a "sailor" and a "power boater". To the powerboater, the boat is merely a method of transportation—to get you from Point A to Point B as quickly as possible. To the sailor, the journey is as important as getting there—and the boat requires you to think about where you are going and how you are going to get there. You can't generally just bludgeon your way to your destination in a sailboat—you have to account for the tidal currents, wind direction, depth of water and such, rather than just aiming and kicking the throttle to max.

Last weekend, working down at the marina, I noticed that the five boats who went out were all asking about directions on how to get various places. They were all powerboaters, and between the five boats, I don't think they had a single chart of Buzzards Bay among them. One asked how to get to Newport, and another said just keep going right (west) and you'll hit it eventually. Well, from Buzzards Bay, that's a pretty primitive set of directions...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-26-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotphix
Seaspot, there are boaters, and there are A-holes. Boaters are nice. A-holes are...A-holes.
What he said! It's possible that powerboaters (as a group) contain a higher % of a$$holes (esp PWC and cigarette boats), but sailors aren't 'higher beings' just cuz they're sailors. (It could be argued that sailors are smarter due to the fact that they have two forms of propulsion, and should be able to get home if one gives out, but that's a technicality.)

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendMike
What he said! It's possible that powerboaters (as a group) contain a higher % of a$$holes (esp PWC and cigarette boats), but sailors aren't 'higher beings' just cuz they're sailors. (It could be argued that sailors are smarter due to the fact that they have two forms of propulsion, and should be able to get home if one gives out, but that's a technicality.)
Actually, it can be argued that it takes more intelligence to sail a boat than it does to drive a power boat. You have to work within a certain set of limitations when you're sailing a boat, especially if your destination lies upwind of you. That isn't the case with a powerboat, as most powerboaters I've seen just aim the boat and hit the throttle... and many don't even have charts aboard... as I pointed out earlier.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.