SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   STINKPOTS! A question... A rant... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/34079-stinkpots-question-rant.html)

seaspot 06-26-2007 12:23 AM

STINKPOTS! A question... A rant...

OK, I guess that all of us here on this site (or at least most) have (or would like) a sailboat for various reasons.

I can see the general dislike among the boaters out there by what type of boat you have, a 'blowboat' or a 'stinkpot'. We all know this.

Being a newly reformed powerboater myself and now under sail I notice things that I find just defies logic on all levels.

We know that the blowboaters hate the stinkpots and the feeling is pretty much reciprocated from the powerboaters. Then you find out that the cats (even though a sailing vessel) although not so much hated but frowned upon from the monohulls. But yet almost ALL of us have a good ol' fashioned piston engine in the very boat we sail. Some of the sailors even go hog wild on their 'tender' or 'dingy' motor! Sailors use the words like "I can get this baby on plane with 3 people, two coolers, and three bags of trash". But I ask, this is 'not' a stinkpot?

From me personally I have seen what idiots powerboaters can be. But to be completely honest, I see that 'most' sailboats are nothing more than a slow power boat with a big pole sticking up from their deck. But now that I am under sail I see what idiots the blowboaters AND the stinkpots can be. I guess it all comes down to the skipper.

I love boats. Big or small, power or sail, hell you can be in a old plywood flat bottom for all I care. To me they are all still boaters and doing what they love, 'being on the water'. Do we hate each other so much as to cloud our perception of why we ALL do what we do?

At what point, or at what HP, or at how much fuel consumption does one need to have or not have to be a stinkpot or not?

bestfriend 06-26-2007 12:52 AM

Sea. I love boats, all kinds. Right now I own a sailboat. This is one of the boats I grew up on:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...lnet/image.jpg

Along with a Bertram 28. I don't like to bad mouth stinkpots in general. Like you said, just dumb skippers, stink or blow.

Fstbttms 06-26-2007 01:11 AM

"Blowboaters"? It's clear you've been a stinkpotter all your life. Could you possibly come up with a less attractive term to describe sailors? Please never darken this doorstep with that misuse of the language again.

yotphix 06-26-2007 01:26 AM

Seaspot, there are boaters, and there are A-holes. Boaters are nice. A-holes are...A-holes.

sailingdog 06-26-2007 01:35 AM

Unfortunately, idiots, fools, and jack@sses are present in all walks of life and all parts of society. Sailors are not exempt from this.... there are good powerboaters and bad sailors... Just try to avoid being one of the bad, and minimize the time you spend dealing with them as well...and you'll be ahead of the game.

seaspot 06-26-2007 01:57 AM

Geeze, now it's OK to call a powerboater a stinkpot but not use the term blowboat? WOW! I will only use the term vertically challenged from now on to describe any person that is not tall in stature and I will only refer to fat asses as horizontally challenged. Thank you for your insight.

Yes, I am sure that could come up with a less attractive term to describe just about everyone. How sensitive can you be? Blowboat is bad but a stinkpot is a good term? Lemme guess, you never fart either. You just release green gasses from your rectal area.

Geezy peezy.

I OWN A BLOWBOAT AND I'M PROUD OF IT!

sailingdog 06-26-2007 02:12 AM

Seaspot-

A powerboat does stink, especially if it has two big two-stroke outboards. I've never, ever, seen a sailboat "blow". :D They catch wind, not make wind. Therefore, IMHO, Stinkpot is an accurate description of most powerboats, but blowboat is not at all accurate for sailboats. :D

Fstbttms 06-26-2007 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaspot
Geeze, now it's OK to call a powerboater a stinkpot but not use the term blowboat?

Now you're catching on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaspot
I OWN A BLOWBOAT AND I'M PROUD OF IT!

You never did fit in with the other kids, did you? I'm sure you'll be a big hit with all the real sailors you meet.

USCGRET1990 06-26-2007 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fstbttms
"Blowboaters"? It's clear you've been a stinkpotter all your life. Could you possibly come up with a less attractive term to describe sailors? Please never darken this doorstep with that misuse of the language again.

Yea...I preferred to be called a "Rag Bagger" myself..:eek:

I suppose an ahole in a powerboat is much more obvious with big wakes, excessive speed, etc...

I too like all kinds of boats and just like to be on the water. I really enjoy the old wood/mahogany boats sail or power. Even had a few.:)

Goodnewsboy 06-26-2007 08:41 AM

One who enjoys boats is a sailor. (Ask the USN even) A boater is a quaint straw hat.