Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007
Justa

Location: Strasburg, Virginia (I need more work near the 'Neck')
seaspot is on a distinguished road
STINKPOTS! A question... A rant...

OK, I guess that all of us here on this site (or at least most) have (or would like) a sailboat for various reasons.

I can see the general dislike among the boaters out there by what type of boat you have, a 'blowboat' or a 'stinkpot'. We all know this.

Being a newly reformed powerboater myself and now under sail I notice things that I find just defies logic on all levels.

We know that the blowboaters hate the stinkpots and the feeling is pretty much reciprocated from the powerboaters. Then you find out that the cats (even though a sailing vessel) although not so much hated but frowned upon from the monohulls. But yet almost ALL of us have a good ol' fashioned piston engine in the very boat we sail. Some of the sailors even go hog wild on their 'tender' or 'dingy' motor! Sailors use the words like "I can get this baby on plane with 3 people, two coolers, and three bags of trash". But I ask, this is 'not' a stinkpot?

From me personally I have seen what idiots powerboaters can be. But to be completely honest, I see that 'most' sailboats are nothing more than a slow power boat with a big pole sticking up from their deck. But now that I am under sail I see what idiots the blowboaters AND the stinkpots can be. I guess it all comes down to the skipper.

I love boats. Big or small, power or sail, hell you can be in a old plywood flat bottom for all I care. To me they are all still boaters and doing what they love, 'being on the water'. Do we hate each other so much as to cloud our perception of why we ALL do what we do?

At what point, or at what HP, or at how much fuel consumption does one need to have or not have to be a stinkpot or not?

Last edited by seaspot; 06-26-2007 at 01:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Sea. I love boats, all kinds. Right now I own a sailboat. This is one of the boats I grew up on:

Along with a Bertram 28. I don't like to bad mouth stinkpots in general. Like you said, just dumb skippers, stink or blow.

Vaya con Dios
Old 06-26-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
"Blowboaters"? It's clear you've been a stinkpotter all your life. Could you possibly come up with a less attractive term to describe sailors? Please never darken this doorstep with that misuse of the language again.
Old 06-26-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
Seaspot, there are boaters, and there are A-holes. Boaters are nice. A-holes are...A-holes.
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Unfortunately, idiots, fools, and jack@sses are present in all walks of life and all parts of society. Sailors are not exempt from this.... there are good powerboaters and bad sailors... Just try to avoid being one of the bad, and minimize the time you spend dealing with them as well...and you'll be ahead of the game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-26-2007
Justa

Location: Strasburg, Virginia (I need more work near the 'Neck')
seaspot is on a distinguished road
Geeze, now it's OK to call a powerboater a stinkpot but not use the term blowboat? WOW! I will only use the term vertically challenged from now on to describe any person that is not tall in stature and I will only refer to fat asses as horizontally challenged. Thank you for your insight.

Yes, I am sure that could come up with a less attractive term to describe just about everyone. How sensitive can you be? Blowboat is bad but a stinkpot is a good term? Lemme guess, you never fart either. You just release green gasses from your rectal area.

Geezy peezy.

I OWN A BLOWBOAT AND I'M PROUD OF IT!
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Seaspot-

A powerboat does stink, especially if it has two big two-stroke outboards. I've never, ever, seen a sailboat "blow". They catch wind, not make wind. Therefore, IMHO, Stinkpot is an accurate description of most powerboats, but blowboat is not at all accurate for sailboats.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-26-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaspot
Geeze, now it's OK to call a powerboater a stinkpot but not use the term blowboat?
Now you're catching on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaspot
I OWN A BLOWBOAT AND I'M PROUD OF IT!
You never did fit in with the other kids, did you? I'm sure you'll be a big hit with all the real sailors you meet.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 06-26-2007 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-26-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms
"Blowboaters"? It's clear you've been a stinkpotter all your life. Could you possibly come up with a less attractive term to describe sailors? Please never darken this doorstep with that misuse of the language again.
Yea...I preferred to be called a "Rag Bagger" myself..

I suppose an ahole in a powerboat is much more obvious with big wakes, excessive speed, etc...

I too like all kinds of boats and just like to be on the water. I really enjoy the old wood/mahogany boats sail or power. Even had a few.
Old 06-26-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
One who enjoys boats is a sailor. (Ask the USN even) A boater is a quaint straw hat.