Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul
I have been called an "anal-retentive *****" by one sales wonk. LOL, yea, thats my job.
That's what I want for a surveyor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiacpaul
I have also been old by a prospective buyer that a salesperson told them after the survey that he "would" recommend me but, trouble is nobody takes a sales guys recommendation for a surveyor.
Maybe that's the salesdroid's way of making sure you won't be used by buyers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Maybe that's the salesdroid's way of making sure you won't be used by buyers?

no, not that I know of. Most of my bidness come via word of mouth & referrals.

Look, this is an incestous little industry, very few real "players", and quite a few wannabe's and some just looking to spend time on the water by any route.

Use the spagetti analogy, when it hits the wall, the good stuff sticks and the meatballs fall.

I know a broker that I would trust with the cuban out to dinner. He's never recommended me for a survey, but, I've swung a lot of business his way because he knows what he's doing, doesn't screw with clients, and if a fellow comes to him with a boat thats a piece of crap, he'll tell the guy just that, and tell him to take a walk.

Another broker is also a surveyor, and he's found that both ends of his business have fallen off, because he can't be all things to all people. (he also gets really pissed when he gets told by a prospective buyer that he wants a different survey)

I've also had a fleeting thought about becoming a "buyers broker". Hmmm, I'm not so sure I'd be any good at it.
I can see it now, Mr. Gotbucks strolls up and sez...
Hey there, I want a 40ft sailboat, a ketch, maybe a bermuda sloop. I want to take it to trinidad, but it has to have a swim platform and a really big cockpit. It needs to sleep 6, carry a couple of dogs, w wife, and a chick I'm seeing on the sly. What do you think of those Hunters.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs

Last edited by cardiacpaul; 06-27-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Simon - I don't know the rep of that broker. I would NEVER use the broker's surveyor. I did, and I am paying for it. Find someone like Paul, the guy all the brokers hate. Thats the kind of survey you want. Of all the brokers I met here when looking for my boat, only one took the initiative to keep in touch with me and present boats that he found around the Bay. That was Chuck at McGrath yachts in Sausalito. McGrath Yacht Sales Just remember, it is they make money by selling boats, they are working for themselves, not you or the other broker, no matter what. Brokers like it when you come in without your own broker, that way they get all the money. My advice to you is to not get a broker, work for yourself. I will do what I can to help you if there are boats here you would like to know about.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 06-27-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I'll relate my experience with my purchase, though I don't know how common it is.

Finding a boat on Yachtworld, I contacted the broker, and talked with one of the brokers there who was NOT the selling broker. I don't know if he made anything off the commision for the sale, but, I was not charged for his assistance, which proved to be of great help. He not only helped me during the bargining process, but also after the sale, and even allowed me to make several major purchases using his Port Supply Card (West Marine at discount).

He wasn't actively looking for a boat for me, but did have some recommendations if the boat didn't pass survey, from their listings. As I said, I don't know how common this might be, but it sure worked well for me.

Currently at 36 03 21 N 76 36 37 W

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-28-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend
My advice to you is to not get a broker, work for yourself. I will do what I can to help you if there are boats here you would like to know about.
Thanks BF that’s what I was hopping for, and now I have got it in writing

I have narrowed it down to an Islander 36, and for some unknown reason most are in the San Francisco area. If some thing nice turns up while I am there , well nothing is in concrete.

As for the broker thing, it is all common sense; I just needed for others to confirm my feelings.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.