Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Sailboats get better gas mileage than you think...+

Okay, I'm teaching sailing off a Beneteau First 7.5. Lots of fun, and pretty responsive for the students. I tend to use the motor (Yamaha 4-hp single cylinder, 4-stroke) as little as possible, but in the light summer air, sometimes we have to. So it seems from experience that the .3 gallon integral tank lasts almost an hour at 5 knots. So that's about 15 miles per gallon, or a little more.

Pretty good for a sailboat with a few students on board. How do we do this? Some cars don't do this well, and they have a lot less resistance going over the road than we do going through the water...

I typically measure this in GPH, but in MPG terms, it's not too bad.

Strange, but true??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2007
Reformed powerboater

TheBlackPearl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheBlackPearl Send a message via Yahoo to TheBlackPearl
This is precisely correct! I recently drove my 37' Hunter from Muskegon to Ludington (winds didn't cooperate and we needed to make time to get there fast enough to see friends who we're leaving) and over the course of the trip we averaged about 10-12 miles per gallon as i can calculate, running roughly 6.8 - 7.2 knots at about 1300rpm on a 27-hp Yanmar. I always love bringing that fact up to the powerboaters at the dock. At least when i have to motor I don't get .8MPG, and i get an extra aft cabin out of that engine space =). Of course i didn't buy it for the engine, and "unlimited" MPG is truly the best!
Old 07-12-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
Of course if you drove a car at 5 knots, you'd get ridiculously good mileage, too.
Old 07-12-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Nolatom, perhaps inadvertently, reveals an important point. Waterborne transportation of commercial goods is the cheapest form of transportation there is available. From ferry boats to freighters, nothing moves large quantities of people, possesions, and cargo as inexpensively. Not necessarily fast, but cheap.

And, as Tom notes, when you put a number of people on a sailboat in pursuit of a destination the costs can begin to approach negligible. As I have had recent cause to mention, "speed costs money" how fast do you want to get there? And btw, are there really any sailors out there who are really not Dutch at heart? (g)
Old 07-12-2007
Aspiring Trailer Sailor

scolil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom
(Yamaha 4-hp single cylinder, 4-stroke)
I believe a scooter would get similar gas mileage. But I like to get where I am going so I can spend more time sailing.
Old 07-12-2007
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
That is why a Trimaran sounds cheaper on gas! It goes when there is no wind or I should say a little wind.... If its classy then you can use the motor!
Old 07-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteele65
Of course if you drove a car at 5 knots, you'd get ridiculously good mileage, too.
Actually, you'd get really lousy mileage, since you're running the engine down in a very inefficient part of its operating range. If you think about how much gasoline an engine burns idling for an hour and figure that you're using a bit more than that to go all of six miles... your mileage is going to really suck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.