Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Want to see an Optimist sail? Here's Fred's boat

These are just a few videos I took while we were tuning Fred's rigging for his race last weekend.

For those that already know the Opti, skip them, (and go read about religion, politics, dog on boats, Gloval warming or the other interesting stuff going on here) for those that have never seen an Optimist glide thru the water, here's your chance. If you just like to see sailboats move in the water, this is for you, too. Enjoy. CD this was mainly for you to show Chase.

The first video was shot after he got out of the marina, he gybes. One thing you will notice is that his head is allways ready to duck. With experience one learns to "read" the boat and wind, and you feel the gybe, even if your eyes are not looking at the boom.

Leaving the marina and starting to sail faster, a downwind run and a gybe.

YouTube - Going Out

The next video is also interesting, it shows the boat accelerate as the wind blows and fred pulls the sheet slightly to prevent wind spillage.

Watch closely and listen to the wind, you will see that as the wind increases, the boat speed also increases, and the boat starts planing. At this stage, the center board is out to decrease drag, and the boat becomes unstable. To see how unstable it is, you can see Fred rocking it towards the end of the video to get a feel for the control at that wind and boat speed. He will use that later on the down wind legs.

YouTube - Optimist Accelerating

The last one Fred does a few down winds and upwinds so we can have a look at his sail and settings. He almost runs into us so we can see it closer, not because he can't sail...

Here you can se the Opti move, a pretty snappy boat for its size, but at the same time wonderfull for beginners.

YouTube - Looking at sail after triming it

Thanks for watching, I have a few more but its too late and i have to go.

Last edited by Giulietta; 06-26-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Interesting, the Portugese language sounds more like French than Spanish.
I never new that!
Old 06-26-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for sharing.
The Opti looks like a very responsive boat.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What, no video of Giu sailing an Opti???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-26-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Good Heavens Bluebottle ! How dare you post a (dare I say it ?) SAILING video on solarstik.net. Unacceptable behaviour on your part.

Nice vision mate. Trust it all goes well for Fred in the future.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 06-26-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Great videos, Giu. Go Fred, go!

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 06-26-2007

byrondv is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the videos Gui. A view of sailing like that might keep me from calling in to work tomorrow 'sick'... then finding myself magically on my boat... strange how that happens.

Fred really seems like he is totally natural in the boat. Watching him sail around makes it look more like the boat is just an extension of his body. Talented son you have there
Old 06-26-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
That's really nice to see, Gui, thanks for sharing with us. Looks like you've got a natural born sailor there. John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-27-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Alex,

so nice vids, but I gotta ask, does Fred get a fulltime yardie to take care of the Opti for him, or does only Daddy's toys get that special attention? I mean tying all those little knots on the luff and foot is very hard on the hands, and inflating the float tubes gives one sore cheeks...Also what does Fred have for daggerboard art..or did he miss out on that also? Those do look like the fancy $$$ foils, so maybe Daddy hasn't been TOO stingy on the young man's toy.

FWIW a tip with the abuse, when running the local kids heel those babies to windward until they ship water, seems to be fast...
Old 06-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailingfool-

According to Alex and Fred, Fred's getting a new, very nice, state-of-the-art opti for next season... so I don't think that "daddy" has been too stingy on the toy budget... and Fred did just get a brand new sail for his boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.