Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
First single-handing of the new boat: yikes!

Well i had my first experience singlehanding our new boat. No autopilot but atleast everything is run aft. Everything was going great until my headsail sheet line got winched into itself. oops. The little piece that's supposed to keep the line from going under the tongue is broken and i wasn't paying attention to the line while trimming the sails. The wind was moderate but nothing too heavy. It still freaked me out though... i tried to get it loose but it was too tight to budge. At this point i was approaching the channel so my adrenaline started kicking in. I couldn't furl the sail in so i decided to sail back from the river to the creek... under the bridge and to lighter winds hoping it would take pressure off the line so i could get it free. No luck. At this point i was stressed but still in control of everything. I thought at the time that my only option was to cut the line free... so i did. In retrospect i could have just dropped anchor and let the sails luff... but since i was alone i was thinking of the easiest way out... although not the least exspensive.

Lessons learned: 1. Make sure your equipment is working properly. 2. Try and stay calm... you can think clearer. 3. A good rigging knife is a handy tool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Joel73; 06-28-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Joel, I know there is a standard procedure for releasing that line caught on the winch, but it slips my mind right now. It has to do with using another winch to release the pressure of the caught line. Glad you are okay, line is cheap(kinda). I can't find the info right now, but I seem to remember it involving another winch to take the pressure off the override.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 06-28-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-28-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Take another piece of line and put a hitch on the jammed sheet. Run the spare line to an alternate winch to take te pressure off the jammed line and then you can simply unwind it.
Old 06-28-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Joel,
Are you talking about the self-tailing ring? If you are, I had a very similar experience on my first sail with my new boat. Wish I could have channeled Cam for that priceless bit of advice... Lewmar doesn't make the replacement an easy process, at least as far as this 27-year-old winch is concerned. Does anyone have a suggestions as to where a Lewmar 30 self-tailer could be come by? Didn't mean to hijack the thread...
Old 06-28-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hawg,,,
HORNE'S MARINE SALVAGE
2063 1st Avenue South • Saint Petersburg, Florida 33712
Fax: 727-822-8524 • Phone: 727-896-1032
<****** type="text/javascript"> info@salvagemarine.com

Also:
Sailorman | 350 E. State Rd 84 | Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316 USA | 954-522-6716 or Toll Free 1-866-729-3760

Both of these carry used boat parts but it is luck if they have just what you want as inventory changes rapidly.
Old 06-28-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
You could just heave-to, thereby relieving the leeward jibsheet pressure after it blanketed the main.
Old 06-28-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Cam,
Thanks, chief... You're the best...
Sailpig
Old 06-28-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog
Joel,
Are you talking about the self-tailing ring? If you are, I had a very similar experience on my first sail with my new boat. Wish I could have channeled Cam for that priceless bit of advice... Lewmar doesn't make the replacement an easy process, at least as far as this 27-year-old winch is concerned. Does anyone have a suggestions as to where a Lewmar 30 self-tailer could be come by? Didn't mean to hijack the thread...
Exactly Sailhog! I have lewmar 30 self tailing as well. I'll race you to the salvage store!

Using the other winch would have worked too i'll bet. Duh... i'm sitting there pulling with all my might and i didn't even think of the other winch. That would have pulled it free i'll bet. Good to know for this coming weekend though because i won't be able to fix it before i take her out again. Of course this time i'll have crew with me. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 06-28-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
You could just heave-to, thereby relieving the leeward jibsheet pressure after it blanketed the main.
TB... i did think of heaving-to but i don't think that would have worked in this situation. In more detail... i was on a port tack so even if i tacked and backwinded the jib the pressure would still have been on the starboard line. If i had not been alone i could have gone forward and untied the sheet from the clew maybe... if someone else was at the helm to keep her in the wind.

Old 06-28-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Stripper Arm

#6 in this diagram... it's listed as the "Stripper Arm"... that is the piece that is broken and allowed the line to double-up into itself, binding it under the feeder arm... or "tongue" as i mistakenly called it before.

http://en.lewmar.com/webspares/pdf/w...winch_part.pdf