Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Archives

If one notes that there are 273 pages of articles under Gear & Maintenance it is somewhat surprising that the first one, posted by "FJW" in Sept. of 2000, asking for a solution to attaching the upper and lower halves of his Oday Superswift, while receiving over 400 views, has yet to be answered! Somehow, I am confident FJW figured it out.

While not as many questions have been asked in other forums, there are quite a few pages of them as well.

Probably the most under-utilized section of Sailnet is the "Articles" section. There is much, much more there than the "seeing the wind" article. If you look back throught the archives you will find articles, usually short, by some of the best sailing teachers/writers going. The people who write the sailing how-to books, on every topic under the sun, are all here captured in articles over 4 years old. It is literally a who's who of the sailing publishing industry.

Want to know how to lead sail control lines aft? Sue and Larry Pardey told you how in August of 2003. The "Perfect Anchor Rode" was described by Tom Wood in Sept of that same year. Don Casey is here as is John Rousmaniere.

Want to learn a bit about yacht design and heavy weather sailing? Well, you can ask "Mike from Michigan" or you can search a bit for an article by the author of the Annapolis Book of Seamanship and probably the pre-eminent chronicler of the Fastnet Race disaster, the aforementioned John Rousmaniere.

John and the Pardey's still stop by once in awhile; I think John's last post was on securing jib sheets more securely than with bowlines, and I hope the Pardey's got a response on mooring in Hawaii. Where the other luminaries have gone I do not know, being relatively new here myself. But there is a ton of info in the archives, the threads/forums and the articles. You can kill the better part of a day just perusing those of interest to you.

And, if you still have questions, "Mike from Michigan" has never steered me wrong. (g)
Old 06-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Unfortunately, too many people are not willing to try the search functions...and just want semi-instant gratification for very little work...so the articles in the archive lie dormant and mostly unread. This is also why you see the same questions asked over and over again... Is it better to crimp or solder?, How do you re-reeve new halyards?, Is gasoline or diesel better?, What type of anchor is best?, etc...

Of course, some of these questions do need to be re-visited occassionally, since the changes in technology make the answers different. Previously, if someone asked what anchor was best, you'd get Bruce, CQR, or Delta as common answers.... however, newer anchor designs look to be a bit more effective than the older, traditional designs. Upstarts like Manson Supreme, Rocna, Buegel, Bulwagga and Spade have become more common as the "anchor" to have. To add to the mix, some old standbys are no longer made—the genuine Bruce anchors were discontinued.

Many sailing notables, such as Webb Chiles, Ian Farrier, the Pardeys, do read and post on Sailnet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2007
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
I not sure you guy's want to discorage people from asking the same questions over and over. It's still more fun giving them those basic answers, then the political crap over in off topic.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Old 06-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjarch
I not sure you guy's want to discorage people from asking the same questions over and over. It's still more fun giving them those basic answers, then the political crap over in off topic.
Granted that is true, but answering a very basic question, like whether you should crimp or solder electrical, that hasn't changed its answer and no new technology has arisen to affect the answer gets old quickly. It would be better if they posted questions that haven't been beaten to death already IMHO. Asking the same questions over and over again are a waste of system resources on the Sailnet forum servers.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-29-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Granted that is true, but answering a very basic question, like whether you should crimp or solder electrical, that hasn't changed its answer and no new technology has arisen to affect the answer gets old quickly. It would be better if they posted questions that haven't been beaten to death already IMHO. Asking the same questions over and over again are a waste of system resources on the Sailnet forum servers.
I am not concerned that much about wasting Sailnet resources with such questions (more is wasted with some debates which have nothing to do with sailing - I would suggest to delete all off topics items more than few month old)
I am more concerned that by repeating similar questions makes searching more difficult.
I agree that the amount of good information here is very big. I am reading the site for a few years. I registered in Feb. 2006 because I wanted to reply to a post, but at that time I hav eread almost all the good stuff already.
I must say that I read almost all the articles and contributing authors texts.
With the amount of new post recently it is impossible to read everything (500 post per day or more...) Most is ********, but there is some good stuff there every day as well. So the site is not dead at all.

Beneteau Oceanis 473

finished cruising after two years.
Old 06-29-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
I'm surely guilty of asking questions that have already been answered somewhere on this forum. However, getting an answer to a broad question (What's the best anchor?) for a specific boat (What's the best anchor for my O'Day 37?) in a specific location (What's the best anchor for my O'Day 37 in the Bahamas?) is more easily found by just asking. I've tried finding answers to my questions in the archives and it has taken a lot of time, as I get distracted by the sheer wealth of information on other topics. Granted it's a great way to learn, but when I want an answer to a specific question, I just ask it, and hope that people like Sailingdog, Cam, CD, Jeff, and all the other great people around here will think it's worthy of a reply.
Old 06-29-2007
Telstar 28

Asking a very specific question is far better than asking one like, "what boat should I buy?". Asking "What boat should I buy with a budget of $45000 and that is good for coastal cruising and short trips to the Caribbean with three-or-four people aboard, but can still be a good daysailer and sailed single-handed?" is going to get much better answers, more quickly...

The more information and context you can give about any given question, the easier it is to answer them. Garbage in ===> Garbage out...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-29-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
What's the best dog breed to take cruising?
Old 06-29-2007
Telstar 28

That's an easy one... Me...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-29-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
What's the best dog breed to take cruising?

No, no !!! makes the sign of the cross, and moves on to that thread.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.