SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   While out on the water (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/34236-while-out-water.html)

ViperR6 06-29-2007 11:14 PM

While out on the water

what do many of you do or where do you go...... I know this seems like a dumb question to many of you.....

I've never been on a boat before, but i am considering getting one. Figured i would rent or lease one to see if this something i will really enjoy

But for the life of me, i can not figure out what there is to do once you sail out.

Assuming you were leaving from the Annapolis/Baltimore/DC area.... what would your plans be and/or where would go.

Viper

Sailormann 06-29-2007 11:19 PM

Doesn't matter where you go, or if you go anywhere... The sailing is the reason for doing it.

sailingdog 06-29-2007 11:21 PM

It depends on how much time you have... many days we go out, just to go out... and be on the water. Sailing is more about being out on the boat than having a specific destination. If you're really interested in getting to a destination, you shouldn't be looking for a sailboat.

There was a recent thread on good destinations for the Chesapeake.

denby 06-29-2007 11:47 PM

It doesn't matter where you are going,or how far it is. Once the sails are up you have arrived.:D A bad day sailing beets a good day on land.

Dennis

SimonV 06-30-2007 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViperR6
what do many of you do or where do you go...... I know this seems like a dumb question to many of you.....

I've never been on a boat before, but i am considering getting one. Figured i would rent or lease one to see if this something i will really enjoy

But for the life of me, i can not figure out what there is to do once you sail out.

Assuming you were leaving from the Annapolis/Baltimore/DC area.... what would your plans be and/or where would go.

Viper

The first thing you should do is fix up your profile, include age and location.
Then you will find out how friendly and helpful sailboat owners are, I am sure you will get a few invites to go for a sail on different boats, any excuse to get out on the water. You can just here it, "honey the yard and garage needs clearing". "Sorry babe, have to take a newbie for a sail". All good :D :D

LaPlaya 06-30-2007 02:26 AM

Helpfulness....

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonV
"honey the yard and garage needs clearing". "Sorry babe, have to take a newbie for a sail". All good :D :D

LMAO Simon
AL

uspirate 06-30-2007 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViperR6
what do many of you do or where do you go......Viper

cruise to an exotic destination, meet exciting exotic people,enjoy the scenery, the serinity, get away from the city tards, have a cookout on the beach with your loved ones. did i mention get away from the city Tards? swim in the waters, and drink till you pass out:cool:

poltergeist 06-30-2007 09:41 AM

I have a small boat, and keep it on a smallish lake, so "where to go" is never an issue. When I go out for a three or four-hour daysail, being on the water and making the boat go are enough. If my crew is relatively inexperienced, I'll get on a comfortable tack, crack a beer, chat, eat a sandwich, wave at other sailors, mutter at jet skiiers, and enjoy the hell out of the day. If my crew is experienced and into it, we'll spend the day "actively" sailing: tend to sail trim, get every last fraction of a knot we can, feel and appreciate the responses from the boat, and enjoy the hell out of the day. It's all good.

If what I describe captures your fancy, Lake Anna isn't terribly far from D.C./Annapolis. Drop me a p.m. and I'll have you out some day.

Kurt

sailingdog 06-30-2007 07:06 PM

I love Lake Anna... it's huge...and at night, it glows.. ;)

T37Chef 06-30-2007 11:29 PM

before you just rent a boat... think hard about taking a boating course. In addition, I would highly recommend you go out with an experienced boater first.

I was 17 when I bought a little 15' Runabout. I had been around boats all my life, grandfather, uncles, friends, etc. So I wouldn't say it was the first time on a boat. Well, long story short...we could have been killed or worse, killed someone else. Set out for the first time as "captain" with 2 friends, we got lost, arrested, and fined. The next week I took a basic boating course with the local Power Squadron.

USPS Educational Department - Public Boating Education Programs