Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007

6string is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21
6string,
Your crew has "rights"? You better reconsider that one, son. You start granting your crew rights and the only sailing destinations you'll be seeking will be antique shops. While you're out spreading coco-bean mulch, the rest of us will be out sailing. You keep them crew rights over on the western shores of Lake Michigan. "Rights", well I never.....
The rights granted to my crew (wife) is to serve me my Mount Gay and Tonic and pour one for herself. Preferably doubles. She has the right to remain silent .... even if I am making a poor tack. She also has the right to claim bragging rights for us when we do well in the race.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2007

6string is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim
I was wondering if somehow I'd missed a bit of nautical jargon, and was about to ask what those where, when it hit me: You mean tell-tales (or telltales). The little bits of yarn or whatever on the sails, to help tell when they're flying right, right?

Jim
That would be the correct spelling. After a long day on the lake sailing, judging and drinking Leinenkugels on the deck my spelling took a stumble.

Thanks for the correction Jim.

Jeff
Old 07-02-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Guys, go easy on the guy...he is not "that" wrong....wrong, but not tottaly.

But there is some truth in what he says, at least for us Portuguese, WHEN WE RELATE TO PORTUGUESE WORDS.

In the Maritime Museum of Lisbon, (Museu da marinha) there are old books about sailing, written by some of the navigators of then, dated back to the 1450's that say (by the way, Val did you see ths books??), that the Sailors started calling the Port side BOMBORDO, which in Portuguese means "good side", because they would see the land when going South (off course only valid when going down, not up), on that side, and because their chances of returning were pretty slim...

Also there are mentions to the ESTIBORDO, (starbord) in the books and they relate that to the fact they really called the side of the water, when going down the coast of Africa, the side where the stars were. Many historians here have proved that. Estibordo is a decay in the word Estrela (star) bordo (board).

Of course I have no idea how much that might have influenced the words in English, and the explanations I rread about the Vikings wording might be true. If not entirely true.

Looks like we might have paralell naming here. The Anglo Saxons on one side, the Portuguese on the other, both corrct in my opinion. At least ours I know it is as it is written in the books.

Now...the fact is...when the Portuguese (and the Spanish, because they did it too), started sailing, the English, French, Dutch etc. wer still not so much into sailing, so which words came first?????

The Vikings were also sailing pretty soon, but they were not masters at writting, and mostly, very few returned, as their boats would only sail downwind, going back with oars only.

I know that they are now showing evidence of the Vikings being what is now Northern Canada, and an expeditions that came all the way down as New England, but.....their problem is they never returned to the Mother land..

So this is an ambiguous debate.

In my Country, Bombordo (porbord) is because of the sailors sailing South, Estibordo (starboard) is because that was where the stars were, because when you look West, from my coast at night all you see ar ethe stars, really...

Yotphix, Board in Portuguese means "placa" but "placa is board like a ply wood board. Board in this case is "bordo", wich also means the side of the boat.
Old 07-02-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string
That would be the correct spelling. After a long day on the lake sailing, judging and drinking Leinenkugels on the deck my spelling took a stumble.
Sounds like it was a good day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string
Thanks for the correction Jim.
Wasn't meant to be a spelling correction, Jeff, really. More to relate something funny and make sure I had it right. I'm in no position to be correcting anybody. Not yet, anyway. Trust me. It's not for nothing I gave myself the user title I did

Jim
Telesail likes this.
Old 07-02-2007

sevseasail is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
The reason Starboard is called that is because on older sailing vessel, that predated having a tiller, they used a steering oar to steer the boat. The steering oar or steering board was kept on the right-hand side of the ship, which meant that the dock was most easily accessed if it was on the left side of the ship. The left side eventually became known as port—where the dock and port was, and the right was starboard, where the steering board or st'ar board was.

Another way to remember it is that you're on a boat, sailing across the water, you left port...
Thank you SD!!! I only remembered half of it.
Old 07-02-2007
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
Everyone has the right to become smarter and learn more. If you do not know something then it is always good to put that infront. Just so everyone around you knows what you know. If you act like you know it all and it turns out that you do not know what it is that you are pretending to know then you could be putting people around you in harms way!

These people are normally named dicks, but we don't like to say that to often!
Old 07-28-2012

sssail3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Starboard and Port tacks?

Port wine is red thus the red light on the port side and port has 4 letters so does the word left ( while facing forward) That's the real true story LOL!
Old 07-28-2012

sssail3 is on a distinguished road

I was talking to a man who has been racing for years(lake racing) We were talking about racing I told him I got port and starboard tack mixed up. he said no problem what ever side your boom is on is the tack your on......... I wonder how many people believe this????
Old 07-28-2012
Will work for Boat money

MobiusALilBitTwisted is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Starboard and Port tacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssail3 View Post
Port wine is red thus the red light on the port side and port has 4 letters so does the word left ( while facing forward) That's the real true story LOL!
it was DEAD 5(five) years ...... let the Dead stay Dead

1985 Venture 25
Fl Gulf Coast

GrahamO
"Möbius,You need another drink. You are starting to make sense".
Old 07-28-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Are you sure he didn't mean the opposite? Boom on port side..Starboard tack
Boom on Starboard side, port tack. I have heard people explain it this way.
Though, I wouldn't.

How does one know which tack they're on then if they are sailing on the genoa, with the mainsail down? I prefer to think about which side the wind is on.

Sailing by the lee might be the only time one would think about where the boom is....for instance Wing and wing...jib out to one side..main out the other..

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.