SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   catamarans (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/3426-catamarans.html)

delrae 02-25-2002 06:18 AM

catamarans

finally someone is talking about catamarans. does anyone have any experience with gemini or fountaine pajot, tobagos. trying to find real un-biased information on cats seems next to impossible. will be seriously looking in two yrs. budget will be about 110k-120k. just trying to eliminate the real junkers out there. thanks, delrae.

SailorMitch 02-25-2002 06:35 AM

catamarans

I responded with my observations about Geminis to your post some weeks ago in the "Buying a Boat" category. Check there for it. I guarantee my opinion is unbiased. Maybe not all that helpful, but at least unbiased. I can''t comment on the others, but will add one to your list. Check out the Victory 35 catamaran. Not sure you can find one in your price range, but I looked at a new one in the Annapolis show last fall and was impressed. I just wish catamarans weren''t so ugly to my eye!

Mama_Cocha 02-25-2002 01:55 PM

catamarans

I have not sailed the Tobago but my brother did and was impressed. I have sailed the Athena from FP and the boat sailed great even close hauled. We ended up buying a Lagoon 410 in a 3 1/2 years charter program to reduce the cost by about 50%...something to consider.
They don''t look like a swan but you get used to it and the space the space....the speed the speed...would never go back to a mono.
http://home.earthlink.net/~hervel/index.html

Wega24 02-26-2002 08:05 PM

catamarans

Geminis are real headturners.... TURN YOUR HEAD AWAY that is.... Try to find a couple of year old one and they look 20 year old. I hate ( well , that would be too harsh ) their lousy workmanship. And I am not even an expert. talk to any real expert and they will tell you the same.

Victory, yes I looked at one at annapolis. Lots of room, doesnt look like a boat inside and doesnt lokk like a boat from the outside. all that inside roominess makes the boat looking super ugly from the outside... I also dont like the cheapish looking panels and stuff inside. Somebody said that the place is run by an ex chiropractic who thought he could make some extr money , but got stuck with it. I think the company is for sale... Thats all hearsay though. 10 times better than the geminis though.

38 tobago YES I could picture myself in one. The pantry salon area is WONDERFUL. What I dont like are all the beds and the same stuff in both hulls. I dont need two showers and empteen beds. I want to be alone, the last thing is to have 6 other people on board. But I think its easy to make usefull storage out of at least two bedrooms.

Look also into the 36 foot PDQ

I have a few years before I really have to go out and look for one, maybe at that time the 38 foot prouts are reasonable priced.

Also the moorings 38 footer are nice, ( same as the tobago though, you have to get rid of at least 2 double beds...lol

Thorsten

Constantin 03-19-2002 04:24 AM

catamarans

Prout catamarans are usually wonderful designs for owners who want to sail around the world, not charter. Kitchens are big, so is the navigation station (big enough to keep the charts *unfolded*). The basic cats are, well, basic. Pretty easy to maintain and the things that do break aren''t too expensive (with the exception of the Z-drive perhaps).

Older Prouts can be had for very little money but usually require tender care - rewire, installing new windows, and the like. A couple of hundred hours later, you have a bluewater boat.

My family has owned two Prouts and loved the sailing characteristics of both: 37'' and 39''. What breaks our heart is how consistently bad the interior construction quality is on our more recent ''39. My understanding is that we have an "outlier". However, Prout refused to address most OEM defects on board and I find that unacceptable.

Lastly, Prout recently went bankrupt. Hence, for replacement parts you may be on your own. While a new sister-subsidiary of Quest Inc. called Prout UK bought some Prout Catamarans assets on liquidation, several smaller (and older) hulls are apparently discontinued.

Cheers!
Constantin von Wentzel
www.vonwentzel.net/Prout/