Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007

gulliver22 is on a distinguished road
Primerate,
Don't beat yourself up too much. You faced somewhat of a dilema. If you felt you must act, maybe the best time and place might have been before the departure of the booze cruise and on the dock. The authority to notify in that case would probably have been the police and not the coast gaurd. The dilema, as I see it, is this; you are worried about the safety of these people because you are obviously a compassionate person, but being so you don't neccessarily want to "rat out " a group of young sailors to the cops for drinking beer and messing around in boats (hell, half of the boating fraternity could be led away in handcuffs for that). Maybe a discrete request to the local coast gaurd unit to walk down the dock before departure and do a "routine" safety inspection on the vessel was in order. Anyway, I think that your concern is refreshing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2007
Aspiring Trailer Sailor

scolil is on a distinguished road
I want to say thanks. As one who learned the difference between a halyard and a mainsheet not long ago, thanks for taking the time to give us a few pointers.

On the other hand. The scenario that opened this thread is definately disconcerting. I would agree that Pirmerate definately did more than his fair share. As long as people can buy boats without a license (which I am so far in favor of) there will always be someone trying to do what they are completely unprepared for.

I am mostly on smaller inland lakes and as such I have no idea what resources are available for coastal safety. How would someone contact the CG? Or is there usually some staff in a marina to notify?
Old 07-02-2007
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
Correction on the boat: it was an Allied Seawind I think he said. (Ketch.)
Old 07-02-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
My rule is to offer help but adults make their own decisions. If there's kids involved then I get more strident!
Old 07-02-2007
Just a Member

primerate84 is on a distinguished road
These guys were not young pups...

I may have given the impression that these guys were right out of college. That may have given them some level of excuse, but these guys were in their late 40s, early 50s. My guess is the total IQ on that boat couldn't have exceeded 200, 210 at best.
Old 07-02-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
If the weather was reasonably calm, it seems that they would have survived long enough to sober up and kick themselves for being so stupid and unprepared. I've been approached on several occasions by motorboat friends and acquaintances who were about to take an extended trip on their vessel. I always ask them if they have a radio onboard, and the answer is almost always "no." When they inevitably ask me why they should have one, I simply tell them: "To communicate your peril."
Old 07-02-2007

nolatom will become famous soon enough
They're fortunate in that either the Allied Seawind or Seabreeze, both seaworthy and well-built, will probably take care of them.

If you'd called the Coast Guard, they might have done a "precom" check by phone or radio to see if the boat had shown up in any of the usual harbors. But I wouldn't beat myself up if I were you. Was the weather fair? If so, they're probably all right.

Next time you're nearby, let us know they made it in okay. At least they picked a good, tough boat to be idiots in. Robin Lee Graham, a teenager, sailed one of these about halfway 'round the world after his 24' sloop was just too small and slow...
Old 07-02-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
If you call the Coast Guard yourself and tell them that the seas are large and you don't know where you are and don't know if you can find your next port and your twenty miles offshore........ chances are there response is going to be,
"What are you doing out there?"
"What would you like us to do about it?"
"Your the one who chose to go out, now get your self back."

My point is, the Coast Guard is not always going to bail you out when you get yourself in trouble. If your in a life threatening situation, they will be there in a heartbeat. If your stupid, well than your just on your own.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-02-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog
If the weather was reasonably calm, it seems that they would have survived long enough to sober up and kick themselves for being so stupid and unprepared. I've been approached on several occasions by motorboat friends and acquaintances who were about to take an extended trip on their vessel. I always ask them if they have a radio onboard, and the answer is almost always "no." When they inevitably ask me why they should have one, I simply tell them: "To communicate your peril."
I used to do a lot of backcountry skiing in the Rockies and I took an avalanche course one time. When we did "peep" practice (transponders) the instructor gave us some sobering advice - "The purpose of the peeps is not to make it safe to ski in an avalanche prone area. It's to save time so your friends won't get hypothermia while they are looking for your body."
Old 07-02-2007
Belliure 41'

JT1019 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JT1019
mstern, Not only do I think I know who you are talking about but I think I owned that boat after the idiots almost sank it. Just a guess but did you run into them in the Hew Haven CT area? If so...they did not die, Darwin was wrong.

As far as reporting something to the locals or Coast Guard, YES you need to. If something seems wrong chances are it is wrong and you have a moral and legal responsibility to report it.