Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
shouldve told them "sailboats dont have ropes" and watched them scratch their heads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Arbarnhart, I'm from Steamboat Springs and I can't recall how many times I've heard that admonition. What I don't understand is this: Why is it that nothing ever seems to happen to the stupid ones? The old man who taught me to sail shared this with me: There's no joy in being a sloppy sailor.
Old 07-02-2007
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
I guess I never been drunk, because if I was I don't see how you would walk around on a boat or even get out of a slip! When I drink I fall asleep if its more then 10 beers or what ever...

I guess I might have said something to someone, but again maybe I wouldn't have. I would not loose sleep over it. How does it go "stupid is as stupid does" ???
Old 07-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The gods seem to watch over the fools and drunks, and this crew seems to have been both.... I think that a quick call to the USCG or local marine police would have not been out of the question... given their apparent ineptness and ill preparation. Chances are very likely that they didn't have working flares, PFDs or VHF radio aboard, and if they did get into trouble would not have had any way to contact help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-02-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I don't think that you could have or should have done more than you did. Most of the time - when bad things happen to people on boats, they survive. If something bad happened to those folks, and they lived - well they are probably not going to make the same set of mistakes again.

Some people can learn from others, and some people can only learn from themselves.

I agree with Cam , that if there were children involved, you would have had a moral responsibility to do more, but in the circumstances that you describe, you did the right thing.
Old 07-02-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1019
mstern, Not only do I think I know who you are talking about but I think I owned that boat after the idiots almost sank it. Just a guess but did you run into them in the Hew Haven CT area?
No. As he said: This was at his marina, on Lake Erie.

Taking a wild guess at approximately where the OP's marina might be, and that what was meant was Au Gres (pronounced "oh gray") (I'm guessing Au Gres was what was meant by "Auglaize," since there is no "Auglaize" or "Auglaise" in Michigan, that I've ever heard of or been able to find.), looks to be a 250-300 mile trip. Better than 60 miles of it upstream, under motor, against an average 4 kt. current.

If I'm right: That's a helluva trip, first time out. In a new boat.

I wonder how their beer calculations are holding up?

Jim
Old 07-02-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by primerate84
This past week-end, I was working on my boat up on Lake Erie and I noticed three guys on an old Allied Seacraft (I think) in the transient slip down the dock. They were having a pretty good time drinking beer and trying to figure out how to rig the boat. Statements like "If that rope goes there, were does this rope go?" and "I don't think this wire should be around this round thing." led me to believe this was a new purchase by some new "sailors". Anyway, after a while, one of them stumbled over and stared at my boat and made a comment about my main halyard, which went something like, "Your rope for your big sail is pretty long; the one on our boat is attached to a wire and when we raise the sail, we run out of rope." Now, I am far from an seasoned, experienced blue water sailor, but I told him I would stop over and see if I could figure it out. It turns out that they were trying to use the topping lift for the main halyard. The owner made a comment that he got the boat at a good price and they were going to sail it to Auglaize, Michigan over the next four days. They were sure they would make it before the beer ran out. He also made the statement that if they sound like they don't know a lot about sailing, its because they don't. He did say he owned a 27' boat before buying this one. I told him he would be smart to sail during the day and stay within sight of land.

So, at around 8:00PM Saturday night, they yell over to me that they are going out into Sandusky Harbor to "try things out" before they leave Sunday morning. The last thing the owner yells is "If we don't come back, send someone after us!!! Ha-ha-ha." Having worked on my boat all day, I fell asleep around 9:30 and when I woke up in the middle of the night, I thought I'd check to see if beer drinkers were back in their slip. They were not. I thought they may have decided to make their way towards Detroit and anchor for the night. However, the next morning when I was more lucid, I thought maybe I should have notified the Coast Guard about them. I listened all day Sunday to the local news and didn't hear any reports of distressed boaters on the lake. My question is, should I have called somebody in the middle of the night to let them know about these guys? What was my responsibility in this situation?
Primerate84....

nahhh don't worry...mother gave them life..but Mother nature will sort them out for you...

Call it "moronic cleansing", its the way nature has to make sure only the strong and fit survive, to maintain our species, the weak get eatten, the stupid die!!!

Forget about them...
Old 07-02-2007

mstern is on a distinguished road
Jt109

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1019
mstern, Not only do I think I know who you are talking about but I think I owned that boat after the idiots almost sank it. Just a guess but did you run into them in the Hew Haven CT area? If so...they did not die, Darwin was wrong.

As far as reporting something to the locals or Coast Guard, YES you need to. If something seems wrong chances are it is wrong and you have a moral and legal responsibility to report it.
It was indeed in the New Haven, Ct area; they left from Branford to be precise. The Oday 22 in question was an older model, but the outboard was an almost new four stroke. The guys were excited that they were able to buy the boat and engine for something like $400. The boat had been painted white, and the name on the stern was "Fred Zepplin". Are these the guys? What ever did happen to them and the boat?
Old 07-03-2007
Water Junkie

LaPlaya is on a distinguished road
Talked to a fellow at the boat launch here Sunday afternoon. He had a 20' or so swing keel something or other and was waiting for a friend with a bigger truck to launch him. He asked me if I did any boating out there...I said yes I have a sailboat here. He then asked about quote "rocks and stuff" I said other than belle rock which is well marked it's pretty good if you stay away from shore. My alarm bells were going off so I said you do have a chart don't you? Well no I don't. I said you have to have one to be out there. What about and I ran thru the required items for his boat....Well the not gots way outnumbered the gots so I suggested he stay tied to the dock and get a copy of the regulations and get the equipment on board before setting out.
He said he had planned to take some friends out that night to join the sail past and watch the Canada Day fireworks from out on the water and surely if he did not go far it would be OK. I again told him bad idea as he was nowhere near being in compliance and would be better off watching from the safety of the dock. I was happy when that night I saw him with a boatload of buddies drinking beers and tied to the dock. When I said hi he asked me if I could show him how to put the sails on. I told him as soon as he got properly outfitted. That may have been a mistake!!! LOL
AL
Old 07-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPlaya
Talked to a fellow at the boat launch here Sunday afternoon. He had a 20' or so swing keel something or other and was waiting for a friend with a bigger truck to launch him. He asked me if I did any boating out there...I said yes I have a sailboat here. He then asked about quote "rocks and stuff" I said other than belle rock which is well marked it's pretty good if you stay away from shore. My alarm bells were going off so I said you do have a chart don't you? Well no I don't. I said you have to have one to be out there. What about and I ran thru the required items for his boat....Well the not gots way outnumbered the gots so I suggested he stay tied to the dock and get a copy of the regulations and get the equipment on board before setting out.
He said he had planned to take some friends out that night to join the sail past and watch the Canada Day fireworks from out on the water and surely if he did not go far it would be OK. I again told him bad idea as he was nowhere near being in compliance and would be better off watching from the safety of the dock. I was happy when that night I saw him with a boatload of buddies drinking beers and tied to the dock. When I said hi he asked me if I could show him how to put the sails on. I told him as soon as he got properly outfitted. That may have been a mistake!!! LOL
AL
You've accidentally volunteered yourself to be his sailing mentor... you do realize that don't you??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.