Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Question Sailing from Oriental to New Bern?

We are considering sailing up the Neuse River from Oriental to New Bern Wednesday for the fireworks that night... never been up there from Oriental. Any ideas on how long it will take with good wind and weather?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Figure 4-6 hours, depending on wind, weather and whether you stay to the marked channel or not, between the ferry and the Bridge at New Bern. When I went up there, I stayed to the middle of the river until a bit before the bridge. The channel goes off to starboard and then cuts back. It's a bit over 20 miles.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 07-02-2007
Whampoa

The forecast for Wed. is winds out of the SE at 10 mph. It is approx. 22 nm from Oriental #1 to the waterfront in New Bern. Assuming you can sustain 5 knots (over the ground) on what initially will be a beam reach turning to a broad reach once you round the point at Minnescott, you should plan on about 4 hrs 30 minutes to 5 hrs.

Be sure to dodge the ferries crossing at MInnescott !

Have a good sail....

Last edited by Whampoa; 07-03-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-02-2007
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
PBzeer & Whampoa,

Thanks for the info... i appreciate it! My guess was around 6 hours since we've never done that particular trip before. Our draft is 3'4" so staying in the channel isn't critical as long as we keep an eye on depth and stick to the middle of the river. Of course, we have charts to reference so we can keep out of questionable areas. I know about the restricted area around Cherry Point. One concern i have is marinas with Diesel fuel. I'm sure i can find one on the way... there are a few marinas but i've never visited them before. Hopefully we won't need to refuel though... i want to sail!

Any other insight into our proposed trip?

thanks again,
Joel

Old 07-02-2007
Whampoa

Joel,

You might want to call or ask someone in New Bern where the recommended anchorages for those in town to view the fireworks are. I'm sorry I can't help you with that one. You might try the dockmaster at the Sheraton or the local sheriff/police. There is also fuel available at a new fuel dock on the waterfront to the right of the Sheraton around the point.

It might be best to fuel up before leaving Oriental as there will likely be many boats in New Bern and the hassle of fueling there might be more than its worth.

I'm not sure what your return plans are but you will also want to contemplate your trip back to Oriental as it can be a very different trip in the opposite direction with unfavorable winds and the resultant waves on the river. Everyone has a different tolerance for such things so solid prep work is helpful.

Enjoy your trip.

John
Old 07-02-2007
1987 Pearson 27

We've viewed the fireworks several times from land so i know the general area that the boats anchor in. We may stay back even further from all the traffic because there is a ton of it on the water that night. We're not bringing a dinghy and have no plans to get off the boat unless we stop for fuel. We will top off in Oriental before we leave.

As far as returning... We plan on leaving the next morning. The weather forcast (according to noaa) is good for both days with the wind coming from the SE @ 10-15 kts. We may be beating on the way home but we'll just practice tacking. As long as we arrive back to Oriental by sunset we'll be fine. My biggest concern is always the weather but it's looking like a great few days with no lightning, low heat and good wind! *fingers crossed*

Last edited by Joel73; 07-03-2007 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-03-2007
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
Joel,
i have a 12 gallon tank on my P-27 and have had it since Sept '06. i have put less than 10 gallons of fuel in it since then and have used the boat almost every weekend and motored at least an hour each time and sometimes more. if you top off fuel should not be an issue. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2007

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
Current?

I'm not familiar with the area, but nobody has mentioned the current in determining how long it will take to get there. Is there no current in this river?
Old 07-03-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoP35
I'm not familiar with the area, but nobody has mentioned the current in determining how long it will take to get there. Is there no current in this river?
The Neuse gets wide; it is supposedly the widest river in the US (6 miles?). The current stream flow is about 1500 CFS. It is really an arm of the sound IMO.

Here is a map:

http://www.ncdot.org/it/gis/graphics/boatguide/7.gif

Last edited by arbarnhart; 07-03-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-03-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
On my trip up and back, I found the current to be a neglible factor. The river is very wide, and the depth is fairly consistent, so it's spread out over a large area.

Currently at 35 54 33 N 75 40 06 W

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog