SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sea Legs (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/34328-sea-legs.html)

AlexandraH 07-02-2007 06:28 PM

Sea Legs

Just wondering if anyone on here had a bit of a challenge with motion sickness but it finally went away? :confused:

Sailormann 07-02-2007 08:11 PM

You will get used to it - don't worry. :) Even now, in really rough weather I feel a little queasy sometimes.

PBzeer 07-02-2007 08:21 PM

Wait till you're out on the boat for a few days and then can't walk straight back on land :)

nk235 07-02-2007 08:27 PM

I know that when I was younger I used to get really bad sea sickness on any kind of boat up until I was about 20. Even when I was 18 I remember going scuba diving out of Cancun and felt horrible the whole time because the swells were really about 6-8 feet. Now I am 22 and I don't get sea sick at all anymore. Last summer I even went out on the same scuba boat out of Cancun in similar conditions and felt fine even though 9/10 others on the boat were puking of the rails. Now that the weather is warm I am out on my boat or someone elses 6 out of the 7 days of the week and I am sea sick free. I guess something with my body changed but at least it is a good one!

astraeus 07-02-2007 09:42 PM

Sea sickness is a very personal thing and is very different for everyone.

Newbies will go through storms without getting sick and seasoned salts can get sick with no warning.

In general, most people will develop thier sea legs and get used to the motion.

By the way, the sense of motion upon getting back to solid ground is usually referred to as "stillness illness." I have enjoyed it in the past, but the more I sail, the less I have experienced it.

An over the counter medication that I have found effective is mechlazine. It does not cause drowsiness, but surpresses seasickness in everyone I have recommended it for. You will need to ask your pharmacist, as it is not on the shelves.

Fair Winds

Jason
S/V Astraeus

hellosailor 07-03-2007 12:15 PM

Alexandra, most folks get accustomed to it either with more sailing or just after a bit more time on the water.

There are things you can do to prevent seasickness: No alcohol, no booze, for 24 hours before sailing and make sure you are well rested, and hydrated, and avoid things like greasy foods. Simple stuff like that makes a big difference.

For meds, everyone responds differently. Passive wrist bands that put pressure on the ne-kwan points work well for some folks. Taking ginger (ginger capsules with standard powdered ginger in them) or ginger ale or candied ginger helps some folks enough, the ginger opens up the capilaries and increases oxygen in the blood/body, it actually is doing something.

Then there's meclizine and other OTC or shelf drugs--each works for some folks and not others. Stugeron (Cinnarazine?) is OTC in Canada and the UK, a more serious med but not available in the US. Does nothing for some folks, works great for others.

And when all else fails, there are the rx meds in the US, like Compazine and Scopalamine (Scop available in pill or patch) that work very well for most folks, with some side effects like dry mouth--read the insert and check those out before trying them.

With any real meds, your best bet is to try it out at home one evening first, so you are in a comfortable place and you can either go to sleep or seek help if you do have a bad reaction. That way there's no worry about "What's this gonna do to me?" making you nervous on the boat.<G>

jrd22 07-03-2007 05:03 PM

Some get sick, some don't, and some get over it and some never do(sorry, not trying to be discouaging). I think it's Lynn Pardey that says she gets sick for the first two days each time out, it might be someone else? Scopolomine works really well for a lot of people and the patch lasts 3 days ? so it gives you time to get adjusted. The advice about no booze that was given above is right. I went tuna fishing on a charter with 10 guys, 20' to 22' seas on a 42' boat. Those that had been drinking prior to departure (2am) were over the rail before we crossed the bar, and never recovered-for three days! Could have named your price if you could have got them off that boat some how. If you are feeling bad, steer the boat, it helps, and ginger in all forms really is good. Coming back to land is what gets me, fell over in the shower once after sailing for a week, never get seasick though. Good luck.

sailingdog 07-03-2007 09:36 PM

Another med that works for a lot of people is Zofran, and it has fewer side effects than Compazine or Scopalomine.

tdw 07-04-2007 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexandraH
Just wondering if anyone on here had a bit of a challenge with motion sickness but it finally went away? :confused:

Getting away from the drugs and patches and all, look at your diet. For instance, I used to get the yawns when we first put to sea. I also used to drink a lot of orange juice on board. Gues what ? Gave the OJ the heave and the yawns went bye bye as well. We do keep some patches on board in case but other than the yawns I've never suffered the dreaded mal de mer as such.

sailingdog 07-04-2007 12:38 AM

The accupressure wrist bands can help. So can certain foods... and avoiding others... The B-vitamins group, ginger, and peppermint can help prevent or reduce the naseau associated with motion sickness/sea sickness. Be aware that anything you take for it, should be taken at least an hour before going aboard the boat.