Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007

AlexandraH is on a distinguished road
Sea Legs

Just wondering if anyone on here had a bit of a challenge with motion sickness but it finally went away?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist
expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
-William A. Ward
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
You will get used to it - don't worry. Even now, in really rough weather I feel a little queasy sometimes.
Old 07-02-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Wait till you're out on the boat for a few days and then can't walk straight back on land

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 07-02-2007

nk235 is on a distinguished road
I know that when I was younger I used to get really bad sea sickness on any kind of boat up until I was about 20. Even when I was 18 I remember going scuba diving out of Cancun and felt horrible the whole time because the swells were really about 6-8 feet. Now I am 22 and I don't get sea sick at all anymore. Last summer I even went out on the same scuba boat out of Cancun in similar conditions and felt fine even though 9/10 others on the boat were puking of the rails. Now that the weather is warm I am out on my boat or someone elses 6 out of the 7 days of the week and I am sea sick free. I guess something with my body changed but at least it is a good one!
Old 07-02-2007
WAFI

astraeus is on a distinguished road
Sea sickness is a very personal thing and is very different for everyone.

Newbies will go through storms without getting sick and seasoned salts can get sick with no warning.

In general, most people will develop thier sea legs and get used to the motion.

By the way, the sense of motion upon getting back to solid ground is usually referred to as "stillness illness." I have enjoyed it in the past, but the more I sail, the less I have experienced it.

An over the counter medication that I have found effective is mechlazine. It does not cause drowsiness, but surpresses seasickness in everyone I have recommended it for. You will need to ask your pharmacist, as it is not on the shelves.

Fair Winds

Jason
S/V Astraeus
Old 07-03-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Alexandra, most folks get accustomed to it either with more sailing or just after a bit more time on the water.

There are things you can do to prevent seasickness: No alcohol, no booze, for 24 hours before sailing and make sure you are well rested, and hydrated, and avoid things like greasy foods. Simple stuff like that makes a big difference.

For meds, everyone responds differently. Passive wrist bands that put pressure on the ne-kwan points work well for some folks. Taking ginger (ginger capsules with standard powdered ginger in them) or ginger ale or candied ginger helps some folks enough, the ginger opens up the capilaries and increases oxygen in the blood/body, it actually is doing something.

Then there's meclizine and other OTC or shelf drugs--each works for some folks and not others. Stugeron (Cinnarazine?) is OTC in Canada and the UK, a more serious med but not available in the US. Does nothing for some folks, works great for others.

And when all else fails, there are the rx meds in the US, like Compazine and Scopalamine (Scop available in pill or patch) that work very well for most folks, with some side effects like dry mouth--read the insert and check those out before trying them.

With any real meds, your best bet is to try it out at home one evening first, so you are in a comfortable place and you can either go to sleep or seek help if you do have a bad reaction. That way there's no worry about "What's this gonna do to me?" making you nervous on the boat.
Old 07-03-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Some get sick, some don't, and some get over it and some never do(sorry, not trying to be discouaging). I think it's Lynn Pardey that says she gets sick for the first two days each time out, it might be someone else? Scopolomine works really well for a lot of people and the patch lasts 3 days ? so it gives you time to get adjusted. The advice about no booze that was given above is right. I went tuna fishing on a charter with 10 guys, 20' to 22' seas on a 42' boat. Those that had been drinking prior to departure (2am) were over the rail before we crossed the bar, and never recovered-for three days! Could have named your price if you could have got them off that boat some how. If you are feeling bad, steer the boat, it helps, and ginger in all forms really is good. Coming back to land is what gets me, fell over in the shower once after sailing for a week, never get seasick though. Good luck.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 07-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Another med that works for a lot of people is Zofran, and it has fewer side effects than Compazine or Scopalomine.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-03-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandraH
Just wondering if anyone on here had a bit of a challenge with motion sickness but it finally went away?
Getting away from the drugs and patches and all, look at your diet. For instance, I used to get the yawns when we first put to sea. I also used to drink a lot of orange juice on board. Gues what ? Gave the OJ the heave and the yawns went bye bye as well. We do keep some patches on board in case but other than the yawns I've never suffered the dreaded mal de mer as such.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The accupressure wrist bands can help. So can certain foods... and avoiding others... The B-vitamins group, ginger, and peppermint can help prevent or reduce the naseau associated with motion sickness/sea sickness. Be aware that anything you take for it, should be taken at least an hour before going aboard the boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.