Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Stupid Boat Tricks

The 4th of July thread got me thinking. I have the perfect slip for the 4th of July. Unfortunately, a nice doctor from Alabama chartered my boat this week so I won't be able to use the slip or the boat.

First boat tricks.

When in my slip and sitting in the stern, I can look at a boat ramp. Actually, 6 lanes into the water about 200' away. Normally just a few boats at a time using the ramp. However, on the 4th of July they start lining up about 6:00 AM and by 9:00 the line is about a mile long. Tempers tend to flare, people do great jobs of backing up and into things, husbands yell at wives, wives tell their husband endearing things at many different decimal levels, fist fights break out, police show up, at least two people get put in police cars for a ride to the station, and the fun goes on. All of this is finished by about noon and things settle down for a few hours. Now remember, this is in the morning and only about 30% are drinking that early.
The real fun begins about 9:00 PM when the crowds really get thick to pull the boats back out. Now there are nice people mixed into this crowd, but by this time a much higher percentage has had more than one drink. In some cases the only reason they are pulling the boat out is because they ran out of beer. The fights begin again, at least one car ends up much wetter than planned, divorce proceedings begin for some, a few more take a ride in a police car, and by midnight things quiet down again.

Is it boating or the holiday that brings out the best in these folks. Happy 4th of July. I will celebrate it on land this year.Have a great holiday and visit your local boat ramp for some entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Tom, I invite you to see the 4th July fireworks from my boat, come along no problem.....been here before, "Minha casa é sua casa"....

At least we drink and behave!!!
Old 07-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you go to visit Giu to see the fireworks, bring a tv... since you'll need it to watch the fireworks...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-02-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
We call that spot here the entertainment dock

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 07-02-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Stupid boat trick # 2. My boat, but a charterer on board. Could be titled "Took the class, but common sense cannot be taught".

Family chartered my boat a couple of years ago. They had taken ASA courses, but were still green. They were supposed to stay in the bay, but asked to leave for a couple of days. They at least asked, and were told fine, but anything over 15 kts. stay tied to the dock. Fair enough.

Three days, no wind. Their one week of sailing was not going well, but they did motor to some nice sites. Day 4, winds SSW at 10-12, forecast for 20-25 in the afternoon. They were excited and got out sailing in the morning. Not too eventful, having a good time, winds beginning to build. And build. Finally decided that the winds were getting a little too strong so they dropped sail and began motoring. So far, so good.

Now, winds from SSW have a fetch of about 90 miles in the bay they were in. Waves are building and building. Daughter decides she wants to go swimming, and they are on vacation, so why not. Waves in the neighborhood of 6' at this time. They motor over to a beach where they THOUGHT they saw a 70' yacht anchored earlier. Now, there are charts aboard, but they were never touched. Why confuse things with facts when you think you saw a big boat anchored over there earlier. Got into about 20' of water and threw the anchor out.

Now, here if where it gets really interesting. The area they were in had three shelves. One at 50', then a 150' shelf of 20', and then 2' and stone.

So, they throw out the anchor and it is not setting. Did I mention 6' seas and building? It drags, and drags. They then decide that this is not going to work so attempt to pull up the anchor. Wife cannot handle it (why do men send their wives to handle the anchor while they hold the wheel?) so husband puts engine in neutral and starts forward to help her. Now remember, she is on the bow and the waves are over 6' at this point and it is shallow. She is getting beaten up pretty badly. However, taking the boat out of gear loses all control and the boat settles back. First thing that floats away is the rudder as they back into the shallows. Next they land on the keel. This is one time that a wing really comes in handy. Remember that anchor hanging off the bow? It keeps the boat feathered into the wind and she settles on her wing and keeps moving back. Perfectly balanced! UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN. The entire rig shudders each time a wave lifts her and lets her down. For four hours this goes on.

Now, fortunately, this has a happy ending. Nobody was killed, and the boat floats today. Imagine if they had somehow set that anchor and the little girl went over the side. If she got back to the boat and tried the stern ladder she would most likely have been killed by the stern crashing down on her. The whole rig could have come crashing down on them with all that stress. The boat could have falled off her wing and one of them caught under 12,000 lbs of boat in 2' of water. And lots of other scenarios.

A great team of people got the boat off safely. It was so shallow that the tug could not get any closer than 200' in those seas. They continued to build during their work. They got a bridle on the boat and pulled each time the waves lifted our boat. Slowly but surely they got her off and towed to a marina. Minus a rudder and with a much smaller keel ( remember the stones on the bottom, they acted as a grinder on the keel), and a few gouges in the glasswork. Three months later, and lots of surveys, she has a new rudder and keel, glasswork fixed, boat sound.

Oh, after the charterers were saved by the salvage guys, they talked to the charter company. They wanted to know how long it would take to put a new keel on so they could continue their vacation. After all , they had three days left of their vacation.

Common sense cannot be taught, you have to figure it out! Some never do.

Last edited by tommyt; 07-02-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-02-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
TommyT-

Ouch...just remember in the race between man and God, where man makes something more foolproof, and God makes a better fool, God is winning, and he doesn't even have to wait to replace his fools, he just upgrades them on the spot.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-03-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt
Is it boating or the holiday that brings out the best in these folks. Happy 4th of July. I will celebrate it on land this year.Have a great holiday and visit your local boat ramp for some entertainment.
Now I know why you had that wistful look in your eye when we were sitting in that inexplicably Irish bar in Vilamoura marina. You were scanning the marina for the Portuguese equivalent of boat boors ramping up the bad behaviour!
Old 07-03-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
The real fun begins about 9:00 PM when the crowds really get thick to pull the boats back out. Now there are nice people mixed into this crowd, but by this time a much higher percentage has had more than one drink. In some cases the only reason they are pulling the boat out is because they ran out of beer.

How about when that afternoon T-storm kicks up and they all try to pull their boats out at the same time?

I never thought about it before, but sounds like the boat ramp antics are the same all over the country.!!
Old 07-04-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
tommyt,
You're a braver man than I. But then, I actually like my boat.(g)

How old do I have to get before I can acquire your sang-froid? Or, are you married to your insurance adjuster? Great tale and, like you, I thank God it ended "well".
Old 07-04-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Your tale of the boat ramp, I imagine is fairly universal, as we had the same situation on the lake where I used to be. Watching them pull out after the fireworks was a traditional event for us, as the ramp was right next to the marina.

Your other tale, proves once again that having a piece of paper that says you are competent, does make it true. Certified intelligence is no match for real life experience and knowledge.

Currently at 35 54 33 N 75 40 06 W

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.