Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007

1970Columbia34 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Main Sail Reefing?

Here is a diagram of our main sail set up. How do I reef it? I drew up a diagram with labels hoping you can just sorta connect the dots for me, or draw the lines in for me. sorry for the miss spelling of pulley

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Do you have dedicated reefing outhaul?
Old 07-03-2007

Send a message via AIM to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via MSN to 1970Columbia34 Send a message via Yahoo to 1970Columbia34
Not sure I guess. I am guessing you mean some type of line for reefing that leads to the cockpit if so, not we have to go up to the mast to raise everything. The only line on the boom is the one hold the foot of the sail back.

Scott
Old 07-03-2007

Bump is on a distinguished road
There seems to be a line missing going from end of boom to reefing point D. I lower main halyard to reefing hook on boom, then pull down on line going inside boom to end and up to reefing point D. The two middle reefing points have ropes through them to tie up the loose mainsail material.
Old 07-03-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I am now making a drwing for you on paintbrush, give me 15 minutes.
Its real easy to reef.

1) lower the sail till reef piont A can safely be inserted in reefing hook. (make sure sail is well bent otherwise it wil shafe and tear at that point.
2) Get the reef point A in the hook.
3) Pull halyard fully up.
Now for the outhaul we have 2 options, if you have a dedicated reef outhaul or if you don't have one.

If you do, that dedicated reef outhaul, should come out of the end boom sheave, up along the leech into the reef hole D and down to the boom, where it should iether be attached to the boom with a bowline if your main is loose footed, or to a dedicated attaching point exactly bellow the vertical of that reef point D
This way when you tension the outhaul, it will pull the sail down into the boom, and back into the sheave (that is the part I am drwaing for you now)

If you do not have a dedicated reef outhaul, you need to get one or disconnect the outhaul from the sail hole, and rig it as I mentioned before above

OK??
Old 07-03-2007

Bump is on a distinguished road
A thought, you could rig a line from cleat A or B to pully at end of boom and up to Proint D. After securing maimsail to reefing hook you would uncleat that line pull down and tighten up point D to boom then recleat the line.
Old 07-03-2007

There is no line going to "Reefing Point D" and the pully is on the outside of the mast nothing internal. I am gathering there should be a line going from "D" though pulley, pulled tight at "cleat b"? Tie B and C to the boom, and special with the the sail being fit (not loose footed) into the boom?

Scott
Old 07-03-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Columbia34
There is no line going to "Reefing Point D" and the pully is on the outside of the mast nothing internal. I am gathering there should be a line going from "D" though pulley, pulled tight at "cleat b"? Tie B and C to the boom, and special with the the sail being fit (not loose footed) into the boom?

Scott
THERE SHOULD BE A LINE going to D. If not you have to reef by removing the outhaul which is dangerous and stupid. You don't seem that experienced to do that, you will get hurt, believe me.

Rig a reef out haul, or don't do it at all. The line D has to go from pulley at end of Boom, up hole D, then attached vertically bellow hole d

See drawing

Old 07-03-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Columbia,
My main is set up much like yours. That is, it doesn't have a dedicated outhaul. So... The tack is easy. You need a reefing hook and a cleat to secure it down and in (against the mast). The clew isn't so easy (because we don't have dedicated outhauls. So... We have to remove the pin that holds the main at full sail, and then replace it. I then have a special line tied with a bowline, which is then run to the first reefing point. I then tie pull it out, and then secure it to the mast. Then I raise the main. It isn't perfect, but nothing on my boat is.
Old 07-03-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Giu's got it exactly.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.