SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Independance Day

835 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Leopold 
#1 ·
Such a strange day for me - this July 4th, 2007, since for the past 10 years, we've spent this week in Edgartown, on Martha's Vineyard. Today, we're at home - due to bad weather and other personal obligations . . . and not on the boat. I feel like a fish out of water.

A relative, who knows how much I love the sea, just sent me an ecard - in celebration of America's Independence from England on July 4th, 1776. It's kinda corny, tacky electronic soundscore and Flash programing. But sorta cool, just the same.

Hope everyone's having a great Independance Day.

From Sea to Shining Sea - animated Flash ecard by Jacquie Lawson

#3 ·
There is far too little appreciation of what this day really means, by those who take far too much for granted. For all it's faults, it's still the grandest experiment of freedom, ever known to mankind.

#4 ·
Quite so, Beezer. Perhaps the importance of the American experiment can best be seen in light of the fact that our constitution is older than the French, Spanish, Portugese, Italian, and Greek documents, combined. 1776 was the start of a very novel idea.

#5 ·
PBzeer said:
There is far too little appreciation of what this day really means, by those who take far too much for granted. For all it's faults, it's still the grandest experiment of freedom, ever known to mankind.
I served this country for 20 years and it's a shame how we "servers" are treated. The boys coming back from Iraq are in for a real treat! It's time to clean house in Washington and start over again with real, regular folks that are in touch with our country.

#6 ·
I'd agree... Washington is definitely out of touch with reality... A lot of the military families are barely getting by, and it is even worse for the reservists. Yet, Congress has continually voted to give itself better pensions, larger salaries and medical benefits which are far beyond what the average American can get... I don't believe that is what the founding fathers would have wanted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.