Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2007
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
What is everyones Story?

This was probably all ready done and I missed it, but its nice to read other peoples stories.

What was your plan if there was one, How did you get to where you are today. Did you go to school for 20 years or did you sell everything. How old were you when you bought your first boat? How many boats do you own or have? Do you live on the water in a house or on board.

Me and my wife are only 37 years old I guess I do have time left to get my boat. I did go back to school 2 months ago, my work is paying for it so I had to go back. I will be getting my Bachelors Degree in Network communication management. I have a son but he lives with his mom, he will be graduating in 3 years the child support will end soon I cant wait for that!
I have been wanting my own boat for a long while now, and patiently waiting for the time to be right. I am the sailor in the family and really miss it!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Me and my wife are...

Whilst in school, brush up on your English and say "My wife and I"...!!!
Blow boats are cheap, so get one now..life is short...have fun before it ends...
Old 07-04-2007

DrB will become famous soon enough
I'll bite.....

Learned to water ski when I was 6 behind my Dad's 16ft runabout. At 12, my dad bought a Laser and I learned to sail on that. One year as a Boy Scout Camp Counselor, I taught Sailing. Dad kept getting bigger boats, finally topping out with a 22 ft Catalina. When I was in college, he went over to the dark side and bought a behemoth power boat. Fortunately, my cousin had a Oday 34 and now has a 40 ft Saber, which I sailed on many times.

After graduating from Grad School (PhD) and working for a few years, I bought the first toy I always wanted as a kid, BMW conv. (used). I had saved up enough for a downpayment for my 30' boat (sail), then I met this girl, and the boat money ended up on her finger. Next the house, furniture, more stuff, etc.

A couple of years ago and had some life saving surgery and after that, my outlook on life has significantly changed. All those stupid things that bothered me before, don't now. This year I said It's boat time, so we went out and bought a used boat that I absolutely love.

So the short answers to your questions:

42 yr old first big boat (33' P10M)
Also own a 18' sea kayak
Live on the hard away from the water

DrB
Old 07-04-2007

sailing320 is on a distinguished road
When I was in my early 30's, I stayed on a friends Bristol 41 for a week in the bahamas. Had a great time. A few months later I opened another office 120 miles away from my home. Needed a place to stay two days a week and my wife suggested I buy a sailboat. A few months later I purchased an Island Packet. Schedule is busy but I try to sail every other week. I been sailing for 6 years.
Old 07-04-2007

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
My parents bought a sailboat when I was young; just a little daysailer. It was actually a scale model of a trimaran that was supposed to sail around the world. When we went to pick it up, we got to see the big boat under construction and I still remember wishing I could go on that boat. We had that boat for about 10 years and would do a little sailing every now and then, all plodding along on inland lakes. Then in my teens I was more into ski boats an in my 20s it was whitewater boats and in my 30s it was fishing boats. But all through it, I still would rent little sailboats every now and then when the opportunity presented itself and accept invitations to crew on a Hobie that a coworker raced. I went on a blue water day sail out of Jamaica on my honeymoon and really enjoyed that. In my 40s (I am 48 now) I got interested in building and built a little flat bottom canoe and a rowing/sailing pram. I let the canoe rot and sold the pram when I feared it would suffer the same fate. But I still feel that tug. Most recently I traded for a little Snark to take my kids out on a small lake and teach them and I have a plan to get a small cruiser and ply the sounds (I live in NC) and/or trailer it down to the keys for some overnights. I would really like to do a long big cruise in retirement, but there are a few dominoes that have to fall just right for that to happen. But the frequent trips nearby in a small cruiser is a very achievable goal. If I am successfull in getting at least a couple of my kids interested enough (3 of the 4 have gone sailing with me; one loved it and the other two will go again, so I have high hopes) then it will absolutely happen reasonably soon. In the meantime, I am hooking up with other local boaters and/or getting out on the Snark every chance I get.
Old 07-04-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
I was born with an exteremely rare allergy.

Of land.............
Old 07-05-2007
John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLaPaz
I was born with an exteremely rare allergy.

Of land.............
Nice I guess I know where you are!
Old 07-05-2007
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbarnhart
My parents bought a sailboat when I was young; just a little daysailer. It was actually a scale model of a trimaran that was supposed to sail around the world. When we went to pick it up, we got to see the big boat under construction and I still remember wishing I could go on that boat. We had that boat for about 10 years and would do a little sailing every now and then, all plodding along on inland lakes. Then in my teens I was more into ski boats an in my 20s it was whitewater boats and in my 30s it was fishing boats. But all through it, I still would rent little sailboats every now and then when the opportunity presented itself and accept invitations to crew on a Hobie that a coworker raced. I went on a blue water day sail out of Jamaica on my honeymoon and really enjoyed that. In my 40s (I am 48 now) I got interested in building and built a little flat bottom canoe and a rowing/sailing pram. I let the canoe rot and sold the pram when I feared it would suffer the same fate. But I still feel that tug. Most recently I traded for a little Snark to take my kids out on a small lake and teach them and I have a plan to get a small cruiser and ply the sounds (I live in NC) and/or trailer it down to the keys for some overnights. I would really like to do a long big cruise in retirement, but there are a few dominoes that have to fall just right for that to happen. But the frequent trips nearby in a small cruiser is a very achievable goal. If I am successfull in getting at least a couple of my kids interested enough (3 of the 4 have gone sailing with me; one loved it and the other two will go again, so I have high hopes) then it will absolutely happen reasonably soon. In the meantime, I am hooking up with other local boaters and/or getting out on the Snark every chance I get.
My dad made us go on the boat when we were younger and we did not like it, now my brother has a rainbow 24 he keeps itin a inland lake! It was a 1,000 bucks and he still has to do work on it, I dont want to continously do work on my boat! He wants me to get something cheap. I am not like that, I wouldlike to enjoy it, but anyway as we got older now we want to be sailing!
Old 07-05-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
I grew up on a 40’ Mathews and a Boston Whaler living on Long Island and spent many summers on Fire Island with my 7 siblings, Mom and Dad, and our cat and a Labrador. This is a quick way to shrink a 40 footer down to the size of an eight-foot ding. I had no sailing experience, but every time I would see a Schooner, my heart would go pitter-patter. I sure did like the way they looked. Many years later, living in St. Augustine a young man came into the harbor with an Alden Schooner and he happened to know my neighbor. This is how Skip and I met.

Skip grew up on the Chesapeake, belonged to sailing clubs, built his first boat when he was 16 and then left home for school in Maine. He attended the Landing Boat School and then spent several years delivering boats when he was not working on them. When we met, although he is 10 years my junior, it was easy to see he was a confident mature man with a wealth of talent.

Somehow, I convinced him to move ashore into a handy man special house we bought and would use to finance our dream of a larger Schooner, early retirement, and a sail around the world. At first, this was good for Skip and he was ok with fixing up this house. After a few years, he became rather discouraged, saying; “No matter how long or hard I work on this house, it will never float”. This statement to me was a sign we needed to move ahead with our plan. Weeks later, Skip came home with a small ad, which stated, “Schooner for Sale”. She was in Milwaukee and after talking with her owner and receiving pictures of her, we flew to see her and instantaneously fell in love with this 1930 Eldridge McInnis designed Schooner.

We brought her to our back yard and for 6 & Ĺ years, I worked while Skip gave her his soul. MISTRESS was re-launched last year and we have been living at anchor since. The house was sold last week. With just a month or two left to take care of shore type business, we are getting ready to head off on our lifetime adventure. Our first destination is to the Chesapeake, with the hopes of traveling north to visit other family and friends. Come November, after hurricane season ends, we should be traveling to the Caribbean for the winter. Our plans for the around the world still exist, however, although we have planned it out eight ways to Sunday, we are in no hurry and will sail as the weather dictates and our hearts desire.

Kathleen
Aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
Old 07-05-2007

mstern is on a distinguished road
I remember being fascinated by sailboats and sailing ships when I was very young. No boats in the family, and no interest on anyonelse's part either, so the first chance I had to sail was when I went to summer camp when I was 10. Sunfish, Sailfish, and a Snark. I raced, "cruised" and capsized as much as I could every summer. My interest in sailing waned during High School, college and law school, but while living in NYC while in my mid-twenties, I went to the old NY Boat Show. I was hooked again. I subscribed to magazines and dreamt of owning my own boat. I took an Annapolis Sailing School vacation and became even more determined. My wife was supportive, and we joined a "Sailing Club" that gave us access to a Catalina 22. It was a great deal and we both loved it, but there was no boat in our immediate future: my wife became pregnant with our first child that summer, and all my boating plans were on hold. A few years and another child later, I realized that the only way I was going to go sailing was to buy a Sunfish. So I did, but it turned out to be such a pain to store and launch that I only used it a few times. Finally, just before my 40th birthday, I made an unexpected windfall in the stock market, and told my wife that now was the time to buy a boat. As always, she agreed (so long as the rest of the money went towards redoing the dining room decor), and I bought my current boat, an Oday 23. This is my eighth summer on "Hukilau", and every one is better than the last.