Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2002

nauticalrich is on a distinguished road
Red, sure, right? (I,m confused)

I am contemplating my first voyage eastward down Long Island Sound towards Block Island.
In looking on the chart there are numerous red nuns somewhat in the middle of the sound.
I am aware of the usual red right return in a channel but what is the rule going east or west?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2002

gershel is on a distinguished road

Hi,usually red right refers to entering a channel from a main body of water,such as,from the ocean into an inlet,from L.I. sound into a river or harbor. ICW can get confusing,You have to refer to charts. There are no n,s,e,w, rules. You must read charts or light lists.
Marc
Old 02-27-2002

hamiam is on a distinguished road

Generally, the rule is "Red Right Returning." Meaning that you keep red marks to your starboard when moving from the open sea to a more restrictive waterway. I have made the trip thru the sound many times from as far west as New York City. As you are going from a constricted body of water (the Sound) to a more open body of water (the Atlantic) you would, in theory, leave the red marks to port on your way east out of the sound. That being said, the USCG also uses various red and green bouys to mark various obstacles. Given the width and the depth of the sound you can sail almost anywhere in a small (<40'') sailboat. I would suggest that you do 2 things: 1. Buy charts or a chartbook that covers your entire planned journey. You will often find that they have plotted safe courses for you. 2. Buy a "cruising guide" for the area. I find the these cruising guides are excellent references and provide some good local knowlege. If you tell us where specifically you are leaving from and going to and what kind of speed you expect to make, I can give you more guidance.
Old 02-27-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road

the red buoys in the sound are on the north side of center all the way to brothers islands just north of hellgate.
the green buoys are along the long island side. this is used mostly by commercial traffic. Red right returning (to ny harbor) at brothers island the buoys reverse themselves since from the south side of ny harbor red is on the other side.
eric
Old 03-02-2002
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

I''m going to assume that you have not taken a navigation course. I feel safe risking making an ASS U ME because 1 1/2 years ago I might have asked the same question.

I powerboated for many years in local waters so familiar I knew my location at night in the pitch black. I was out on these waters with my grandfather and father since I was 6 yrs old. I did not need to know how to read a chart.

A couple of years ago I decided to buy a sailboat and entered into a sailing school. The instructor convinced me to take the " ASA Coastal Navigation Class" before learning to sail. It was well worth the time and expense.

Red Right Returning and Aids to Navigation only make sense if you know how to read a chart and navigate.
Old 03-03-2002

danaa is on a distinguished road

I sail in Maine which has a massive coastline with countless "ins and outs". It is very dangerous in my opinion to follow the Red Right Returning Rule in some areas because it is very difficult to know if you are coming or going. What I do is pay special attention to the "big picture" of the approach by studying the chart very carefully. As a previous writer pointed out, many aids to navigation are marking hazardous areas or shallow spots. If you see an "*" to the left of a red bouy, don''t pass it close to starboard! Yes, you must know the rules of the road, but never do it without a chart in an area that you are not familiar with.
Old 03-05-2002

paulk is on a distinguished road

It might be helpful to think of Long Island Sound as the channel returning to New York City. As mentioned above, however, there are lots of other "cross=channels" between wherever you are and wherever you''re going. It''s best to always know where you are and what bouy you''re coming up to, and how deep the water is going to be where you''re pointed.
Old 03-07-2002

lecomte38 is on a distinguished road

if it is part of the intercoastal waterway red is on the right heading south
Old 03-07-2002

gershel is on a distinguished road

Lecompte 38 Sorry,but that''s not entirely correct. There are many places on the ICW where that is not the case,& many boats get in trouble not following,or not knowing how to read a chart.I think the original poster has to take a basic piloting course,rather than trying to rely on rhymes & here-say.
Marc
Old 03-08-2002
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point

Gershel is correct. There is no substitute for updated charts however when in the intercoastal water way one must look for the little yellow squares and triangles on the day markers to determine the side which should be left to port or starboard when navigating. If you spot a yellow triangle on a green square day mark heading south you would be wise to keep it to starboard if you want to follow the intercoastal.