Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2007
1994 Catalina 270

Trescool is on a distinguished road
Best Sailing Magazine for 27' Sailing??

What are some good sailing magazines for mid-size sailboats.. like 27' ?

I have been getting "Cruising World" and like it but the boats are always larger than mine (boat envy). I will be sailing mostly on the Delaware River and south to Chesapeake and Delaware.

I've gotten "Sail" magazine also but am still not that impressed.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I have subscribed to almost all the mainstream North American boating rags over the years, including Cruising World (which has become monotonous, in my view). Of those devoted exclusively to sailing, Good Old Boat gets my first vote, followed by Blue Water Sailing/Sail/Sailing/Ocean Navigator, in no order of preference.

But my favorite boating magazine BY FAR, is a little semi-monthly (published twice a month) black and white called "Messing About in Boats." It's full of stories and articles about real people doing real things in real boats, written in their own voice (as opposed to conforming to a tedious, highly edited style). Sailing, paddling, motoring, rowing, building, repairing, etc. Every issue is a rare gem.
Old 07-07-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Good Old Boat by far. All the big glossies cater to the bigger boats/newer boats because that's who they sell the most advertising to. GOB is aimed right at people like us who sail the boats we have for a variety of reasons, not the big ones in the ads in the big glossies.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 07-07-2007
1994 Catalina 270

Trescool is on a distinguished road
Awesome, Awesome! Just what I was looking for. I just placed my order. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2007

mstern is on a distinguished road
Another vote for Good Old Boat. My other favorite is "Sailing". Sailing has a large format that allows it to run some spectacular pictures; the editors really love sailboats, and it shows in their choices of pictures and articles. I agree with you and the others who have chimed in about Sail and Cruising World; they have gotten so predictable and boring. I recently received an offer from Sail: $10 for one year. I figured, why not? I am about halfway through the subscription and I don't think I will renew, even though they have offered me a three year subscription for less than $25.
Old 07-07-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Small Craft Advisor is a bi-monthly and deals with all manner of small boats. There is just not a valid excuse for getting this magazine. It's got more stuff about how people are "messing about in boats" than you can shake a stick at. It is full of things you will not get elsewhere. Probably not as practical for you as GOB, but you won't put an issue down out of boredom. Every issue will elicit a "hey look at that".
Old 07-07-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
Except for Good Old Boat and Sail, I don't get a lot of hard copy magazines, I usually just read them online, my favorites are: Sailing Anarchy and Scuttlebutt

Last edited by knotaloud; 07-07-2007 at 09:12 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.