Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Not if you connect the two anchors to a three-way swivel and have a single chain coming up from the bottom to the mooring ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
A 2 anchor setup in a tidal area for a mooring will insure you spend half a day unwinding the 2 rodes when you visit your boat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2007

JagsBch is on a distinguished road
I had a feeling that the engine block was a bad idea. I think I will try out the Bahamian swivel option. But I am still wondering if the 60 pound Danforth is too big.
Old 07-11-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Not if you connect the two anchors to a three-way swivel and have a single chain coming up from the bottom to the mooring ball.
That'll eliminate the twist but at the cost of adding another point of failure. I'm not sure I like the idea of 2 anchors as a mooring unless EACH is capable of holding the boat in storm conditions (50 kts.) independently. But I do like the idea better than an engine block!
Old 07-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would have to agree with the RV master... that each anchor should be capable of holding the boat in storm conditions independently.

As for the swivel being an additional point of failure, that's a wash in my book, since the twisted rodes can cause the ground tackle to fail as a system, so you're just trading one possible failure for another.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-11-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagsBch
I had a feeling that the engine block was a bad idea. I think I will try out the Bahamian swivel option. But I am still wondering if the 60 pound Danforth is too big.
For gawds sake, drop the dang things (blocks)overboard at night if you have to...the CG has much more important things to worry about...just don't produce an oil slick...live on the edge...don't be a "Twinkie"...think of the blocks as a fish haven...
Old 07-12-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Gotta go with the Guard on this one. Of course you're gonna clean up the engine block before dumping it. That being done, it's no worse than anything else dumped in the water, and probably a damn sight less harmfull than half the outboards out there.
Old 08-16-2007

Well the craziest thing happened. I moored the boat out using a single 60lb Danforth anchor. Well it remained set for all of 5 days and then the wind/current had its way with it. I get a phone call, your boat is about to run into another boat, my reaction on the way home from work was do I have time to go and get my dingy, no was the reply.

Well panic set in and I was imagining the worst. 29' islander on the loose in 20-25k gusts. I am 30 minutes from the boat and about 10 minutes from arriving to the situation, I somehow got an epiphany, I realized that my boat smashing into another boat was minute in the big picture, I am looking at the sky and through it thinking about the edge of the universe and then this overwhelming since of peace came on me, and I approached the situation without a care in the world being confident that no matter how disastorous the damages could be, that it could be resolved.

So in my calm I go to the marina where my boat had been and as I strolled down the dock, I ran into the dock master walking down and asked him what happened. He told me that he had tied the boat off to the end of the pier and that I could deal with it the next day, so I gave him a giant hug and went off to see the Jaguars scrimmage.

The boat was moored just one boat shy of being the farthest away from the marina, and yet even though it had 360 degree's of horizon it choose to go directly back to the end of the pier it was in. The name of the boat being Kismet, (fate) had me thjinking this boat belonged 2 that peir, the way I figure at this rate it si cheaper to keep it there. LOL

Lesson learned? You can have too big of an anchor, especially if its a Danforth.
Old 08-17-2007
Telstar 28

Jags-

We all said that Danforths don't do well in shifting currents or winds... Also, said that they don't do all that well at resetting... apparently, not even if they're really honking big Danforths... Glad the boat's okay.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-17-2007

I have had a Danforth holding my 27' Tartan on an 80 foot chain in the same spot for 5 months now. It is doing really well. The bigger the Danforth the more force you need to reset it. Having a Danforth for twice the size of a boat is not a very well thought out plan of action, especially for mooring.