Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007

JagsBch is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Anchor's and engine block away?

Would it be a bad idea to attach two danforth anchors to a 40' chain in the direction of the tidal flow in a muddy creek, and at the center fo the chain shackle a 6' chain tied to a 6 cylinder engine block along with a chain tied to a moring ball for a 29' Islander.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ummm.. that kind of rig would be really hard to set, without diving on it... and a royal PITA to retrieve. If you need a mooring for a 29' Islander, why not just use a standard three-anchor layout. Retrieving it and setting it is going to be far simpler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-08-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
What size Danforth ? I have either 35 or 43 pounders two of them.
Old 07-08-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
There also may be an issue with oil contaminants if you just dump an old engine into the water. Even if you don't get caught by the EPA, DNR, or any other eviro-agency dumping an engine in the water, there could be a morals issue regarding possible pollution.
Old 07-08-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagsBch
Would it be a bad idea to attach two danforth anchors to a 40' chain in the direction of the tidal flow in a muddy creek, and at the center fo the chain shackle a 6' chain tied to a 6 cylinder engine block along with a chain tied to a moring ball for a 29' Islander.
As mentioned, if the block is clean and pretty much oil free, it will sink down into the mud and make a wonderful mooring anchor. With a good stout chain, I doubt any other anchors will be required. I know this from using mooring anchors in the muddy tributaries of the lower Chesapeake Bay area.
Old 07-08-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Ummm.. that kind of rig would be really hard to set, without diving on it... and a royal PITA to retrieve. If you need a mooring for a 29' Islander, why not just use a standard three-anchor layout. Retrieving it and setting it is going to be far simpler.
I only have one anchor @ the moment, 22 pounder, I was planning on buying a bigger anchor. I figured I would have to dive if trying to user 2 anchor method along with the Block. A friend has his boat moored using the Bahamian style, but he complains about it twisting up from swinging around. I want to do something permanent that I can avoid the twisting as the wind and current have there way with the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99
What size Danforth ? I have either 35 or 43 pounders two of them.
I am wondering what size to buy to feel confident with out going too far overboard. I understand that for storm conditions I should go with an anchor one or two sizes larger, at the moment I believe the 22 pounder would be adequate for anchoring but I am feeling lost regarding the moring bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGRET1990
As mentioned, if the block is clean and pretty much oil free, it will sink down into the mud and make a wonderful mooring anchor. With a good stout chain, I doubt any other anchors will be required. I know this from using mooring anchors in the muddy tributaries of the lower Chesapeake Bay area.
Now I am wondering if I set the 22 lb anchor and then connect the end of the chain to the bock and then lower it while it is taunt to the bottom with the rope comimg off the end of the block and to a moring ball would work? It seems that if the block moved as the current took it towards the anchor it would defeat the purpose of the anchor if the block actually got dragged across the bottom towards it.

I just about got the block taken completely apart, there are still a few parts to be removed before I clean it. I have another 6 cylinder block to take apart and clean and stick down there as well. The father of a guy I work with happens to own a Junk Yard.

I really want to make sure that what ever I do, it will first be safe as well as being as environmentally friendly as possible. This will pretty much be an attempt at making a permanent moring spot. I figure at least one anchor would give me the assurance I need without the complications of having to dive in order to shackle together the set anchors over the block.
Old 07-08-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Like everything else, two blocks are better than one! If the block(s) sink into the mud as they should, then the chain can swing 360 deg. and not hang up on anything. This 360 swing is what you want. Any other anchors will inhibit this swing.
Old 07-08-2007

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Do you have something against a standard mushroom mooring? They work great in muddy bottoms and a lot easier to pull to check lower chain than what you propose.
Old 07-08-2007

Engine blocks are free, leaving me money to do other upgrades on the boat. If I can get 3 years service out of the mooring I will be stoked. The mooring is only 15 feet deep so diving down to check the chains when I am cleaning the bottom won't be a problem.
Old 07-09-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I used four five gallon pails with cement and chained them together. The more I read, the more I am coming to believe that a single mushroom anchor would have been easier, more effective, and easily retrievable by comparison. I was reading something on this the other day, but your pop quiz caught me out. I'll have to hit the reset button and come up with the literature for you. As I recall, I wouldn't have been out of pocket any more than my home-made efforts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.