Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007

JagsBch is on a distinguished road
Switching a sloop into a cutter, is it worth it?

I was wondering if putting on a 2 foot bow sprit to convert my 29' sloop into cutter, I imagine the boat would look nicer with a bow sprit but would be worth the trouble. I hear that cutters handle better in rough weather, is that true?

What are other advantages to cutters over sloops if any? I was talking to someone about this and he mentioned that my boat would only go so fast, my question is would it go faster in conditions that are less likely to make your boat reach its maximum hull speed if it were a cutter rather than a sloop?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Don't think it's can be done, the masts are stepped in different locations ( I think a sloop is 25% and cutter is 40% of the deck length from bow to stern) so your balance would be all out of wack.

But then again, I don't really know, so it will be interesting to see what people say

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 07-08-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
another thing would be the sprit it self, there's a tremendous load, so unless you beef up the bow, have substantial stays for side to side and a substantial stay for up upward force, that baby would rip off in a heart beat

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 07-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Simply rigging the boat with a bowsprit doesn't make the boat a cutter. Sloop rigged boats can have a bowsprit as a well—mine does. The main reason cutters can handle better in heavy weather is that they inner forestay allows them to fly a storm jib closer to the center of the boat, helping keep the boat balanced better.

You can do this on most sloops by adding an inner forestay, but often have to add running backstays to balance the loads against the mast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-08-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-08-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
What is your boat and what are you planning to do with it? Are you trying to find a way to handle rough weather, or are you trying to go faster as you question in your question.

Your boat was designed to be a sloop. Extending the bow with a sprit does not make it a cutter, just someplace else to fly a headsail from. It would have be be engineered very well to handle the load, and even then would probably not address your needs, whatever they are. If you want to go faster downwind....fly a spinnaker. If you want to handle rough weather fly a storm jib. Save your money on the conversion. You could probably buy both the above sails for the cost of your attempt at re-engineering.
Old 07-08-2007

JagsBch is on a distinguished road
The boat is an Islander, speed was and the visual effect of having a cutter coming off a nice bow sprit was what I had in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Simply rigging the boat with a bowsprit doesn't make the boat a cutter. Sloop rigged boats can have a bowsprit as a well—mine does. The main reason cutters can handle better in heavy weather is that they inner forestay allows them to fly a storm jib closer to the center of the boat, helping keep the boat balanced better.

You can do this on most sloops by adding an inner forestay, but often have to add running backstays to balance the loads against the mast.
So its running the storm jib towards the inner stay that makes it easier to handle, I see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy
Don't think it's can be done, the masts are stepped in different locations ( I think a sloop is 25% and cutter is 40% of the deck length from bow to stern) so your balance would be all out of wack.

another thing would be the sprit it self, there's a tremendous load, so unless you beef up the bow, have substantial stays for side to side and a substantial stay for up upward force, that baby would rip off in a heart beat

I figured that the inner stay would take some of the stress off of the bow sprit. I had no idea that the mast's where positioned differently to the point of throwing off the balance of the boat. That pretty much would shut that Idea down I guess.
Old 07-08-2007
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
You would need to rebalancethe rig. If you simply added more head sails, further out you would be giving your self a potentially dangerous amount of lee helm.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Old 07-08-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
There is a Vindo 40 moored near us that added an inner forestay. I haven't looked real close, but it appears they just added a reinforced tack point midway between the front of the cabin and the bow. They seem to normally keep the new forestay wire attached loosely to the rail, and then they bring it down to the deck when needed and hank on a sail.

Fyi, Vindo 40's are actually only 32' LOA, (go figure?). but they are really sweet bluewater boats. The one near us has teak decks, a mahogany cabin top and a really great, curved, teak cockpit coaming. I may have to get me one of them....

Vindo 40
Old 07-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If they didn't tie the inner stay's chainplate into the boat's structure—usually by bracing it with a tie rod to the keel or into a structural bulkhead, then it is a lot more likely to fail under the loads it would be exposed to in a storm. I am willing to bet that the chainplate or deck fitting is tied into a major bulkhead inside the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotaloud
There is a Vindo 40 moored near us that added an inner forestay. I haven't looked real close, but it appears they just added a reinforced tack point midway between the front of the cabin and the bow. They seem to normally keep the new forestay wire attached loosely to the rail, and then they bring it down to the deck when needed and hank on a sail.

Fyi, Vindo 40's are actually only 32' LOA, (go figure?). but they are really sweet bluewater boats. The one near us has teak decks, a mahogany cabin top and a really great, curved, teak cockpit coaming. I may have to get me one of them....

Vindo 40

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2007
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
Leave well enough alone. The sloop is the superior rig for most sailing conditions, especially inland such as the Chesapeake Bay and most coastal sailing.