Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
It's totally understandable that full-time live-aboards and boat owners with wireless internet connections are online with SailNet during nice weekends. Many posters here are also boatless, or like SD, are working on their boats during the day.

I've tried checking in here while swinging on a hook or from my marina, but my cellphone access leaves much to be desired. I suppose with a masthead, or Kathleen's spreader antenna rig, I would probably check in more often.

The reason for my curiousity is due to the large numbers of seemingly unused sailboats at my marina. I'm not talking about all the small daysailers on the 600 dock, but larger 30 ft + cruising boats. At average, we see perhaps 20% of the boats ever leaving their slips. Of the remaining 80%, it seems 30% are used as dockside summer condos. That leaves 50% of the boats which are virtually unused on weekends.

Different priorities I suppose, are forcing these owners to stay ashore. Sorry to hear about your wife's ailment Faster. She has my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old 07-09-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Thanks, TB - we are hopeful of a full cure.

You're right, though, even when the nearby bay seems "full" of boats sailing about, drive by the marinas and they still look full. Makes you wonder.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
sailhog . . . time to install larger cockpit drains, or perhaps start a thread for ideas on how to rig up a scrotum sweat sack.
Old 07-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Faster-

Wish your wife a speedy recovery. I know what you're going through... I lost my better half to cancer six years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
TB-

Don't encourage him... really... it's gonna backfire...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Faster,
Sorry to hear that. A friend of ours was diagnosed a little over a year ago, and she's made what looks like a full recovery. There are a whole lot of treatment out there these days. Good luck, Captain...
Old 07-09-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Sailingdog,
I didn't know you'd lost your wife. My god, that took my breath away when I read it... I'd tell you to hang in there, but you already have. If you're ever down this way, drop me a line.
Old 07-09-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
No Weekend Computing For Me !!

I've been in IT for almost 40 years (of course it was Data Processing back then). So whether in the ole days of running a Main Frame or now networked I get my fill of a keyboard during the week and have no desire to even think about a computer on weekends.
As for time on the boat.... almost every weekend in the winter working on projects, almost every weekend in the summer daysails and overnighters. Well..... except for this year with too many extended projects - planned and unplanned - like my apparent starter death.... more weekends at the dock.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 07-09-2007
Señor Member

Horrors, Stan! Your starter kicked the bucket, and you thought earlier it was just the starter battery?
Old 07-09-2007
Señor Member

BTW, like your new avatar . . . who did you say the photographer was again?