Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
Faster,
My best to you and your wife. Never give up hope and keep the best attitude you can. I am a cancer survivor going on, I think its 14 years now. I wish for your wife the same results I got.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS

True Blue,
Wilson Trucker Cellular Antenna
I am pretty certain this is the antenna I have. I also purchased an additional 25 foot cable. The antenna itself comes with 12 feet. I like it especially for cruising outside and when the need arrises I can simply head in until I get a signal and check weather, tides, and update the website. Hope this helps.

With reference to sailboats going no where. We have plenty here in St. Augustine too. People live aboard full time but never take their boats out. Seems a shame to me, and is especially concerning in bad weather when I know they haven't checked there ground tackle in quite some time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the link Kathleen - I'll check into it. Although I'm currently looking to upgrade my phone and service - perhaps to Blackberry. I noticed this note on the Wilson site though: Note: This antenna is not compatible with Blackberry devices.
Old 07-09-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
BTW, like your new avatar . . . who did you say the photographer was again?
Credit where credit is due....... Thanks Again
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 07-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
TB-

The reason that it isn't compatible with BlackBerry devices may have more to do with the lack of an adapter for the antenna on the BlackBerry than any electronic incompatibility. Nowadays, BlackBerries run over a standard cellular network either GSM, CDMA, or PCS, depending on what carrier you have. AT&T/Cingular and T-mobile are GSM, Sprint is PCS, and Verizon is CDMA.

You might want to look at the devices mentioned in the cruising off Maine thread. Cellular amplifiers and other useful beasties are discussed in that thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
Horrors, Stan! Your starter kicked the bucket, and you thought earlier it was just the starter battery?
Did lots of testing over the weekend to include wiring in a switched battery cable from the dual 4D house bank to assist the 4D start battery with no change in the end result. I Hate to Accept Any type of 'coincidence' but my fear of an old battery dying because of a short term inadvertant dip switch setting foul up on the Xantrex starting battery charger seemed to be negated by a week of charging right up to where it should be. Also both banks came right back up with shore power assist after the abuse of the apparent starter drain/short. Soo.... a mechanic is meeting me at the boat Wed night.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 07-09-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
First off, best wishes to you and your wife Faster, I hope all is well soon.

I am hoping to become a weekend liveaboard. I have my son Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, so thats the plan. Last weekend we spent on the boat at the dock and it was great, he caught his first fish off the stern. Anchovy, I think it was. Then we were on board for two nights for 4th of July. This weekend I spent at home flat on my back because of the back pain from sleeping on the boat so much! I think I need a better mattress on board. We have wireless at the dock, but it sucks, its called idock. How much does cellular hook up run you?

Vaya con Dios
Old 07-09-2007

Hotpuppy is on a distinguished road
Lighning and Sailboats don't mix well

I went out Saturday, but we still managed to get caught in a nasty storm on the way back in. Had funnel clouds, 50mph winds, torrential rain. It's just not always possible to stay away the whole weekend. Although, I have to admit, your docking skills improve the more times you dock in a 20+ mph crosswind with a narrow slip.

I spent Sunday doing maint. Had to rebuild two cockpit hatches and decided to take apart and reseal my forehatch.
Old 07-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
hotpuppy-

Where do you sail and what kind of boat do you have??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
As I type this, I'm heading south down the Alligator River, motoring, as the wind as usual is dead on my nose.

Before I moved aboard and started cruising, I counted my days by "how many till I'm on the boat". If I wasn't working, I was on the boat, from the time it went in the water, till I had to haul it out.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 07-09-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
My cell service is with Sprint. For $59.95 /mo. I get unlimited Internet service. That includes email and being on the web. Yahoo has a deal which I have not yet checked into, but they are offering .01 penny a minute to make phone calls via the computer. So really, the cell card offers me quite a bit I feel. My laptop has built in mic and speakers, like I suppose they all do now.
As far as the connection to a blackberry someone else mentioned the connecting adapter vs the connection itself. I do know I had to tell them which Sprint card I had to get the right adapter to fit it to the antenna.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS