Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
My prayers are with you, Faster. My wife did the same thing nearly 30 years ago, and the treatments (and survival rate) are much better now.
We usualy spend Friday and Saturday nights aboard our 37 Endeavour. In good weather we are on the hook overnight, in July and August we are at the dock with the AC running, and in December thru April we are ashore with Ragtime winterized. But I am amazed to see 50 sailboats in our marina (on the Mississippi) acumulating bird droppings and mold! Why pay slip fees when you could bareboat charter for in the Bahamas for less money and do more sailing in that week than you do with the boat you currently neglect?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
TB,
Your scrotum sweat sack suggestion is preposterous. Why would I install a $30,000 sweat sack system on a $20,000 boat? It makes absolutely no sense. My marinized armpit hair braiding system, which I have set up in the head, has already set me back 10K. Last week my flatulence mitigation system (FMS) broke down, which has made life below decks miserable for the entire family. The guy at the yard said that's going to cost another 5K to get that up and running...
Old 07-10-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Hmmm, the onboard internet connection is a quandry. Got the 'puter but am resisting buying the wireless card modem thingy. My apologies for being overly technical.

Ms Wombat wants 'puter to watch DVD's which is fine except that the people in her kind of movie seem to wear too many clothes, but the damn woman also wants a TV antenna so she can watch the footy. Sheesh. The idea of hanging a TV antenna off the boat gives me the heeby jeebies.

I confess that not having an internet connection from Friday afternoon to Monday morning is something of a relief.

As to time spent on board I'm quite happy to spend the entire weekend doodling around and never leaving the mooring. Quiet anchorage is nicer however.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-11-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
It's daysailing for me, with the occasional overnight. It seems a 1-year-old and a 3-year-old go a little bonkers after spending eight hours on a 27-foot boat. This weekend, however, the parents are taking the kids and my wife and I are heading out for both days!

But I know what you mean TB. Most of the boats in my marina never move. I see the same 5 or 10 guys every weekend. I've never even meet my slip neighbor on one side. I think most people intend and want to use their boat but life gets in the way. But they don't accept reality and sell it because they're hoping they'll find the time to get out there one of these days.
Old 07-11-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
Hey TDW,
No need for the tv antenna. You can watch many shows on line now. Go to either CBS, ABC or NBC.com and there you will find a link to WATCH EPISODES. An hour show is now only 40 or so minutes because they only have one commercial each time they take that break and it is only about 28 seconds long. You cannot see the show the day it airs, but will have to wait a whole day for it to be available. This is pretty new and not all shows are available, but it beats having to deal with the tv antenna.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
Old 07-11-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
We're definitely weekend liveaboards! We head up on Friday afternoon and leave on Sunday afternoon. We also have a laptop onboard with a Verizon Wireless broadband Internet connection. We use the laptop to watch movies when it's raining. Sometimes we go on sails someplace on the lake for the weekend. Other times we just daysail. Sometimes we stay in our slip and work on the boat. Our car doesn't get touched once we're on the boat. If we can't get there on foot or by dinghy, we don't go. We took two and a half weeks off for our delivery from Annapolis to Champlain, and we'll be taking at least two more one week vacations on the boat this summer.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 07-15-2007

ctstmaser is on a distinguished road
Post beginner stock market investing | Online Stock Trading | Stock Investing

stock trading

here

click here

stock market investing for dummies

click here

stock market investing for dummies

investing in the stock market

If you can see this message, please email the website you saw it on, so i can update my blacklist duudssdssudd@gawab.com.
Old 07-15-2007
A little less cheek

ianhlnd will become famous soon enough ianhlnd will become famous soon enough
Good luck Faster with your wife, I know what you're going through, I lost my wife 6 years ago, and am now losing my girlfriend (avatar) to that horrible disease. Luckily, breast cancer research has increased tremendously in the last couple years and recovery rates are high. God be with you.

Now TB, in answer to your question, I'm aboard about 150-175 days a year at the harbor, anchorage or at sea underway. We don't lay up for winter here, and winter is sometimes our most stimulating sailing.
Old 07-15-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
And then you have old farts like me who are retired. If I have my choice I stay home on weekends and live aboard during the week. I have the whole bay to myself with no power boaters blasting by!
Tom Shannon
Old 07-16-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
We "live aboard" most weekends from Spring thru Fall. I did live aboard full time for several years in the 90s so the boat is well equipped for it. We consider it our summer home.

However, we usually keep the cell phone off and only turn them on when one of us (me) goes ashore to walk the dogs or get some provisions.

We don't have internet or a laptop. Being on board is really getting away. We used to watch TV, but the current LCD doesn't seem to work with the antenna so we will watch a DVD or play scrabble at night for entertainment.

We cruise to near by destinations and drop the hook for a change of scenery and occasionally day sail and return to our mooring. We rarely eat out too, doing our meals on board.

I love to mess about on board and always have projects lined up to tackle. I am perfectly content to do boat projects all weekend. And they never end!

Our boat is moored 2 hours from where we live, so going out for the day is not feasible. Our mooring is also on an island where ferry service stops at midnight and there is hardly any night life there and hence no temptations to go to shore and party. But in calm weather we can dinghy over to the "mainland" where there are more options... like a movie house.

Considering we normally work and are in doors during most of the week, it is wonderful to be outside and closer to nature. I even enjoy it when it rains when we are on board... except for the dog walking!

I intend to "retire" on to the boat and when we do it will seem rather comfortable and easy. All we need to do is get rid of all the land based crap we have acquired and the old marine gear sitting in out garage.

I think I will get some folding bikes for next year.

Jef
sv shiva