Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Do many of you live onboard each weekend?

On a typical weekend during the summer season, my wife and I leave home after work on Friday, sail away from the marina and do not come back to our slip until Sunday night. At times, when weather conditions aren't ideal for dropping a hook, or picking up a mooring for the night, we will just daysail. But at the very least, we choose to at least sleep onboard at the marina, instead of going home . . . and we live only 5 minutes form the marina. This past entire weekend was absolutely perfect, so we spent three nights onboard. Of course we also take an occasional one to two week cruise to offshore islands.

I just came in from the boat this morning, logged into Sailnet from my office computer and was amazed to find 8 pages, over 40 threads per page, of unread posts since Friday afternoon. well over 300 threads, each containing scores of new posts.

I find it truely amazing that during the height of sailing season, many SailNeters, to my percepetion, choose to be logged in here on weekends than spending quality time on your boats. What are the various reasons for this . . . explain yourselves please.
Old 07-09-2007
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
I want it ALL!

With the invention of wireless internet, cellphones, air cards, etc the being on the boat, and being on the internet, are no longer mutually exclusive
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I was on my boat most of the weekend... working on it... But I don't generally stay aboard her when she's on the hard, out of the water... it feels funny to try and sleep aboard her when she doesn't move... very unusual and throws my senses off... so I avoid doing that. I hope to have her back in the water next week sometime... weather permitting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
Hey TrueBlue,
While I have wireless I mostly use a cell card with a trucker antenna I have hanging from the foremast lower spreader, therefore, if I am on line during a perfect sailing weekend, it is probably because I am out sailing and can update our website or come to sailnet while being at least 20 miles offshore proven, and supposedly 50 miles off shore can be expected. So maybe a lot of us are posting and sailing at the same time. There is also the possibility we all don't have the same great sailing weather at the same time, so while you may be enjoying the perfect weekend, we may be stuck in the doldrums.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
Full Time
In reserve for way off shore is a sat phone.

Last edited by SchoonerMISTRESS; 07-09-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-09-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
I sailed Friday, Sat and Sun; I was also able to surf the interents, see a movie with friends, apply three coats of varnish and wash my truck. There are lots of hours in a weekend. I hate it when when people say "Why aren't you sailing? It's such a beautiful day!" D'oh!

ps. I live aboard fulltime, not just weekends.
Old 07-09-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I had four pages worth of new post this morning.

Two great weekends in a row, 85 nm each way both weekends.

Yes, we try to spend the weekends on board.
Drive up Friday evening and drive home on Sunday evening.
The hard part for me is trying to figure out everybodies schedules.
Teenage daughters you know....... Always got something going on.
Lately I've just been leaving them behind. If they don't want to go sailing, than oh well, no problem. Im still going.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-09-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
TB,
If I were out on the boat all day for two or three days at this time of year off the waters of HHI, my cockpit would be swamped... from the sweat dripping off of my testicles. The cockpit drains just wouldn't be able to keep up, and so we day sail. For me it's a safety issue.
Old 07-09-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Now that I wear glasses, I find the need to wear a headband ( read sweatband ). The dripping runs down my forehead onto my glasses, rendering me somewhat blind. I hear ya sailhog.
Old 07-09-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Sailhog - Thanks??? for that image.....

Last summer we were gone 56 days straight - and came back to literally thousands of unread posts... Clearly not everyone gets summers off.

And as others have mentioned, the expansion of wireless services and proliferation of laptops means access even from aboard... some of us probably could use the occasional intervention for Sailnet addiciton!

Unfortunately this summer will be different for us, my wife is fighting breast cancer and we have to be home for chemo treatments every three weeks... but plan to get out when we can between treatments, starting today for a week or so.
Old 07-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
ROFLMAO, man that is an image I really didn't need in my head this morning... and I'd hate to think how that would affect the local sea life... kill most of it most likely... now where'd I put that mental bleach....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog
TB,
If I were out on the boat all day for two or three days at this time of year off the waters of HHI, my cockpit would be swamped... from the sweat dripping off of my testicles. The cockpit drains just wouldn't be able to keep up, and so we day sail. For me it's a safety issue.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.