Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007
Jersey Member

STARWINDY is on a distinguished road
Bittersweet Launch

Well the day finally came...I have officially launched my Starwind 22. I have been painstakenly refitting her since November and was pretty sure that I covered all the bases. I had two friends join me to assist in standing the mast and chose a marina nearby that has a very long pier next to the boat ramp which would make it easy to have to assemble the mast and such. We backed her in and she came off the trailor in one easy slide and I walked her down the pier to get out of the way of other boaters.

I have done this before but each time i find it very nerve-wracking. I tried my best to convey orders to the crew as to what order to attach things, where not to step and "For Christs'sake...move about easy!!". Now keep in mind, its 92 degrees and with the humidity it feels like 102. Two motorboats approach, we carefully guide them around us and they proceed to the ramp with no problems or fuss. I'm getting frustrated because it is Hot, i ripped open my finger on the sharp end of a cotter.....I can't believe such a stupid little cut can spew so much blood all over the deck, clothing, new hat, etc.

All is going well and we only have the back-stay to lock in place and we get get the hell out of there. Some fella in his upper 70's pulls up to the pier behind us and ties off. He watches us struggle with the mast..and has the nerve to come up and ask us to move along. I looked at him with a sharp glare and felt best to keep my mouth shut. My friend Doug, who is a vegan, zen, love everyone and everything type, barked " just go around like everyone else". Must be hot.

The old guy was pissed. He stomped off to get his trailor. The nerve.

OK. All set now. I fire up the outboard and we untied from the pier, Only now I have to back around this old geezer who is right up my stern. I ease into reverse and grab the tiller to make my way out.

"SSHHHHNNNAAAAAAAAAAP". This is the sound that a perfectly good "looking" tiller handle makes when it is dry-rotted from the inside. I could'nt believe it. So, now I'm heading right for the geezers boat and he is running down the pier, people are yelling, complete chaos! The outboard had little effect in steering the rudder which is jammed and sticking straight out. Thanks to the quick efforts of the crew, we saved the geezers little runabout and i cleared the pier.

My slip is not far from the ramp, but at this point i was a little perplexed and flustered and embarrased. I pull on the lead that is supposed to pull the rudder down...that crumbles in my hand as well.

oh F@#$ Me!!!! This became my mantra for the next few minutes while i figured out how to steer my boat in its current condition. I took a moment to calm down and gather my thoughts. The wind had pushed the bow around and...

thunk.thunk.thunk.thunk.thunk.thunkthunk. This is the sound the rudder makes when it lies against the prop.

Oh F@#$ Me some more!!! I was told later that no one could actually hear me swearing during the ordeal but the crew said i looked like a mad man having a fit. Fairly accurate I suppose.

Finally I creeped into the slip. I surveyed the damage...minimal. Few scuff marks on the rudder from the prop, nothing a little bottomkote can't fix. A new tiller handle will be picked up this evening.

I asked one of the crew to go below and grab me a well deserved beer. I heard...."oh ****", when he opeded the hatch. Here we go.

He comes up with the windex!!!!! SON OF A>>>>>>>

I could only laugh at this point. What a day!!

I can't wait to take the mast down again!!!!!

Happy Sailing!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
sounds like a good time.
I bet you can't wait to try it again.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-09-2007
Jersey Member

Yeah... it is always an unexpected adventure.
Old 07-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
ROFLMAO... been there, done that... not quite as bad off as you were...but close... Welcome to the wonderful world of sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2007
Northeast 25 O'day Owner

Birdface will become famous soon enough
Yesterday I got cought in a rain storm with strangly very little wind... no biggy... thought to raise the jib for more push home to not get drenched.

The jib halyard got somehow knotched INTO one of my main's sail slides... fouling the jib and requiring the main to be doused to repair.

Of course there was a good 1-2 knot current and of course the boat was drifting into shallows.

SO, fire up the trusty outboard? NOPE, either the fuel pump or water in the fuel caused it to not start.

We drifted on until I could get a friend to loose the jib halyard enough with an extension rope that I could hook the sail slide with a boat hook and fix it.

OMG I was sweating bullets even in 65 degrees and cold driving rain.

I need a few days off the boat before tackling the repairs...

ugh.
Old 07-09-2007

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Another adventurous day on a sailboat. I hope it wasn't karma for your avatar! Good luck with the rest of your work.
Old 07-09-2007
Jersey Member

I hope it wasn't karma for your avatar! ........

I have no control over that dog. He is smart though! You should see what he did to the Obama sign.
Old 07-10-2007

Kuapaa is on a distinguished road
Well Starwindy, as sailingdog so eloquently phrased it, "Been there, done that!".

I won't bore you with a longwinded tale, but when I launched my first 'real' boat many years ago, it immediately sank! Two plus years of painfully caulking and painting her lovely strip planked cypress hull, not to mention the wood decks and all the brightwork.

I didn't know that she would leak like a giant sieve until the wood planks swelled up! I was standing on her decks which were about 2' below the surface of the water, trying to tie her to the dock in the hopes of preventing a 'keel-over' when a very amused, but kindly old-timer appeared with a six-pack and the sage comment, "Forgot to soak her down real good the past couple of days, didn't ya?".

She was refloated the next morning, and the leaks had stopped. Not a lot of damage except to my pride. Oh well, welcome to the world of sailing.

All the best to you. Fair winds, a following sea, and a green flash in your sunset.

John
Old 07-10-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Man, I difinitly laugh with you, been there too and not just with the boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuapaa
and a green flash in your sunset.
ahhhh yes, the green flash, I've seen it many times, but this is the first I heard anyone speak of it in 20 yrs.....cool deal

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 07-10-2007
Jersey Member

Green Flash.... one of my favorite things on earth, however we call it the Green Snap. Saw my first one off the Virgin Islands and thought there was something trippy in my rum.