SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Schooner on the rocks

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jrd22 
#1 ·
We were exploring Saturna and Mayne Islands in the Canadian Gulf Islands last week and came across a sad sight. There was a large wooden schooner on its side on Minx reef (very nasty reef, strong currents) at the north end of Saturna. Looked to be about 100' LOD? Couldn't make out the name. Didn't look like it had been there long. Anyone know anything about it?

#5 ·
Ouch... that sucks

#7 ·
Thanks for the info., it was strange seeing it there with no one around and no apparent salvage operation underway. After reading the stories, I can understand how it happened. That last section of the reef extends out a long way, and to enter Winter Harbor you have to make at least a 90 degree turn to stb. around it. I wouldn't want to go through there in the dark even in a small boat, the current was running hard toward the reef when we were there. Really sad, it's a beautiful boat from what I could see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.