SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Starboard has rights! I saw a nice crash tonight (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/34728-starboard-has-rights-i-saw-nice-crash-tonight.html)

knotaloud 07-11-2007 01:59 AM

Starboard has rights! I saw a nice crash tonight

At a local race tonight (known as the Duck Dodge) we had over 100 boats show up; it's a real tight course on a small lake in downtown Seattle, on the second lap, at the second buoy, an 40 foot Oday t-boned a Catalina 30. I saw the whole thing happening, the Catalina was at fault, and took most of the damage. It made for a very exciting race, as did the 15-20 knot winds. It was crazy. I just wish the Oday had given a little, it could have been avoided.

Here are the race rules from the Duck Dodge website:

Rules

Rule 1: Starboard Tack has Right of Way
Rule 2: Rules of the road apply
Rule 3: No hitting one-another(With or without boats)
Rule 4: Take all marks to PORT unless noted on Race Course
Rule 5: No hitting one-another
Rule 6: Bribing the committee is against the rules (while anybody is looking)
Rule 7: No hitting one-another
Rule 8: There is no rule number 8
Rule 9: No hitting one-another
Rule 10: Follow all the rules
Rule 11: No hitting one-another
Rule 12: Never make a duck change its course (Dodge the Duck)

Duck Dodge

http://www.duckdodge.org/images/Lake...RaceCourse.png

sailingdog 07-11-2007 07:43 AM

That's a major reason I don't race... too many people take racing far too seriously, when it is just a beer-can race in reality...

trantor12020 07-11-2007 09:05 AM

sailingdog, my guess is that they're racing seriously 'cos beer is involve. take away the beer and it probably becomes a leisurely weekend sail. :)

werebeagle 07-11-2007 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knotaloud
the Catalina was at fault,

The Oday was also at fault and might be help partially liable because it sounds like he didn't take any measures to avoid the collision, and as such he didn't follow the rules of the road either. Avoid the collision and fly the protest flag would have been the proper course of action.

SEMIJim 07-11-2007 09:47 AM

Quote:

... the Catalina was at fault, ...

Unless the Cat just up and turned in front of the O'Day, not giving the O'Day any warning or any chance to avoid the collision, IMHO the O'Day could possibly be equally at fault.

Quote:

I just wish the Oday had given a little, it could have been avoided.

The Rules of the Road state that, while one-or-another boat may be the stand-on boat, it is the responsibility of that boat, as well as that of the give way boat, to avoid a collision.

Jim

arbarnhart 07-11-2007 10:12 AM

I got my first taste of racing on Sunday; just practice races between members of the local club at what was largely a social event and there was at least one bone jarring collision that I saw and it was before the race even started (jockeying for position near the start bouy). You can say it is practice or just for fun or whatever, but to someone who is really competitive, either it is a race or it isn't.

knotaloud 07-11-2007 10:41 AM

I'm pretty competitive too, but you have to draw the line between winning and winning at all costs. Sure there's a lot of bumping at the start, but to hold your ground while an obviously inexperienced boat cuts across your bow, in a beer can race, is not competitive, it's just wrong. As my crew always tells me, "Dude, ease off, this isn't the Americas Cup"

SEMIJim 07-11-2007 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arbarnhart
You can say it is practice or just for fun or whatever, but to someone who is really competitive, either it is a race or it isn't.

According to the two different skippers with which my wife and I have sailed this season: Whenever two sailboats are on the same tack and w/in sight of one another, they're racing :D

Jim

CBinRI 07-11-2007 11:35 AM

When is a sailboat crash "nice"?

sailingdog 07-11-2007 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBinRI
When is a sailboat crash "nice"?

When it isn't your boat and you really don't like the owners and sailors of the two boats involved... :D