Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007

6string is on a distinguished road
7/11/11 - 4 years to departure

7 -11 is supposed to be a lucky number. I consider it a personal independence day. In 1995 I was let go from my employer. My wife was an at home mom and we had just built a new house on our lake lot 2 years earlier. I came home to find her and her mom having lunch. She of course was wondering why I was home so early. I informed her that "It was my lucky day, I've been relieved of my job with the bank and I can look forward to being my own boss now." That didn't go over to well then, but it sure has turned out for the better. We never had to sell the house and I have been self employed ever since.

So what does this have to do with Sailing? In 4 years, 7/11/11, We expect to have sold our house and land based possessions and be living on a 40 - 44' boat and begin our life cruising and living aboard. We will leave from Milwaukee that day, just 25 miles from our current home. We will head to the Caribbean for the first winter and either work our way back North in 2012 or South to Brazil. After a few years of that, should we still be in the mood. We will be headed thru the Panama Canal and on to the West Coast. Sooner or later heading to the Galapagos Islands. If that goes well, we head around this big rock for some exploration.

Next week I am going to go take a look at a Tayana 42. I'm not sure we are ready to make a purchase now but there is one for sale on Lake Superior and I am going to be in the area for business, might as well check it out. We looked at one in Ft Lauderdale this past Easter and Katie fell in love with it. I would also like to show her some Valiant 40s. There is a lot of time to look. We are just now putting together a road map/time line of what needs to be done between now and 7 '11 to make this dream come true.

I just wanted to share our little anniversary and what I call an Anticipaversary, for our event to come on this date.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
I hope 7/11/11 doesn't fall on Friday. Just kidding, I checked, it's a Monday. I like you're plan, stick to it!
Old 07-12-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Are you looking at the T42 aft or CC version. Both are lovely boats and I can vouch for Tayanas build quality on their older boats! Our T52 has been great.
Old 07-12-2007

6string is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Are you looking at the T42 aft or CC version. Both are lovely boats and I can vouch for Tayanas build quality on their older boats! Our T52 has been great.
We are looking at the aft cockpit version. I loved the layout and interior quality of the one we looked at this spring. The boat was sold when we looked at it. We were with a broker just looking to see what $125,000 would buy. It was the first boat he showed us. We did not like the couple of CC boats. We didn't like how it split up the interior. They also seemed to be smaller cockpits for the size of boat. The Tayana sure had some nice wood work and some good use of space. I'm not sure I like the stern design. The Canoe shape is so abrupt vs what seems to be a more rounded stern on the Valiant. I'm curious as to what effect this type of stern has on boat handling vs a beamier stern or squared off if you will?

This T42 I will look at next week has seen one owner and is a fresh water boat. Could be appealing, use, wear and up keep wise.

Cam, good luck with your new adventures with the RV. Have you sold your T52 yet?

Jeff
Old 07-12-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Nah...and no RV till she sells so for now I'm just a landlubber dock rat!
I'll defer to JeffH on the benefits/drawbacks of a canoe stern. Perry sure made a living off them though! I've been on the T42CC and found the stern cabin a bit cramped relative to a full beam CC boat but the interior was gorgeous and I liked it better than the more austere V42. I think either would make fine passagmakers. Good luck on the one next week1
Old 07-13-2007

rewell6 is on a distinguished road
You are on about the same schedule as us. We are on a 5-7 year schedule. Our kids are almost 2, 3.5, 4.5 and almost 6. A Galapagos trip would fantastic. Still unsure about traveling all the way round.