Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Lake Michigan Claims Another

Looks like the chances of finding this latest victim still alive are slim to none.

Six foot Great Lakes Chop and a 16-foot motorboat are a deadly combination.

We have been talking lately of some of the stupid things you see on the water, in this case, stupidity probably cost a life.

Chicago Tribune news | Registration

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2007

maddata is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow. I was just out there Wednesday night single handed. Watched the fireworks -- waves were nearly calm. What a difference a few hours makes. I guess 16 feet isn't much to hang onto in 6 footers (which I generally avoid in a 31'10,000 lb sailboat).
Old 07-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Again.... no PFDs were worn, and they were out in conditions that were far worse than what a 16' open motorboat can safely handle. Did they not listen to the weather forecast before going out???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-12-2007

zaldog is on a distinguished road
They obviously ignored it, where not prepared or experienced. There was a small craft advisory at 7am. I got to work at 9am (work at the Shedd Aquarium) saw coast guard flying low, thought they were doing training.

Winds where pretty strong. I took a break and went to the pump out with my boat on the way to my boat the tender told us about a boat turtleing and crashing into the break wall rocks first it was a sail boat then a motor boat know one knew yet.

I talked to a guy that came in on a 37 Jeanneau he clock 25+ winds at around 8am. No PFDs and obviously not in control of the boat 6 footers on the lake can break every 2 or 3 feet and there is a fairly strong under tow near the break wall when waves are that big. So most likley the boat got broached and down it went. Here is the Chicago Trib Story.

Boater's still missing; 2 men pulled to safety
Advertisement

By Alexa Aguilar
Tribune staff reporter

July 12, 2007

Rescue teams ended their search Wednesday evening for a man missing in Lake Michigan after a boat capsized and sunk in rough waves about a mile from Navy Pier in the morning.

Chicago Police Lt. Christopher Kennedy, who commands the department's marine and helicopter unit, said the missing boater was believed to be a Hispanic man in his 40s.

Rescuers pulled two other men out of the water about 9 a.m. Both had spent one to two hours in the lake and suffered from mild hypothermia from the 65-degree water, Kennedy said. They were taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where they were released about 11 a.m.

One of the men was stranded on a break wall east of Navy Pier; the other was found swimming and clutching a flotation device about 200 yards from shore. The missing man likely was not wearing a flotation vest, Kennedy said.

The group launched early Wednesday in a 16-foot outboard motorboat from Diversey Harbor and encountered rough waters, he said. The boat capsized about 1 to 2 miles northeast of the Navy Pier light tower, Kennedy said. "They caught a big wave from a bad direction," he said.

The National Weather Service issued a small craft advisory about 7 a.m. Wednesday. The wind was gusting about 25 knots, and the lake's waves were at about 6 feet, said Nathan Marsili, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service.

The rescue operation, which included Chicago police, the Chicago Fire Department and the U.S. Coast Guard, was staged from the shore of the Jardine Water Purification Plant, and tourists from Navy Pier earlier gathered to watch from across the lake, as helicopters circled overhead.

Kennedy said the teams had been searching in a grid pattern from the area where some debris was found. The boat -- a Mark Twain outboard -- has not been recovered

Last edited by zaldog; 07-13-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Considering the boat probably looked much like this, which is a Mark Twain 16' boat...

Not exactly a boat I'd consider seaworthy enough to deal with small craft advisory type conditions... especially 6' seas.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-12-2007

The Bow could make a good hot tub. :-0. Just kidding. You would be amazed at how many of these type of boats go out on Lake Michigan, and even more amazed at how many boaters DO NOT Wear PFD's!!! Let this be a lesson to all who think they can swim to shore if they fall overboard or think PFD's are for wimps!

Last edited by zaldog; 07-13-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-12-2007

Goodnewsboy is on a distinguished road
The sea administers its own competency tests. Best be prepared.
Old 07-12-2007
Telstar 28

Zaldog-

PDFs are files on a computer for use with Acrobat Reader...PFDs are Personal Flotation Devices, and used in boating. Also, Where refers to location, Wear refers equipping an item of clothing or safety gear, such as a PFD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaldog
The Bow could make a good hot tub. :-0. Just kidding. You would be amazed at how many of these type of boats go out on Lake Michigan, and even more amazed at how many boaters DO NOT WHERE PDF's!!! Let this be a lesson to all who think they can swim to shore if they fall overboard or think PDF's are for wimps!

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-13-2007

Thanks for the English lesson...I corrected my post, I was typing to fast. Besides I am dyslectic. I wonder if you could use a PDF file for flotation? Maybe if you printed them on rubber.
Old 07-13-2007
Scourge of Howe Sound

Hyperion is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Zaldog-

PDFs are files on a computer for use with Acrobat Reader...PFDs are Personal Flotation Devices, and used in boating. Also, Where refers to location, Wear refers equipping an item of clothing or safety gear, such as a PFD.
And that added to this thread in what way??