Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2007

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Deep Water

I make no comment on what the last film commentary drew forth. However, I draw your attention to Deep Water, a British documentary currently screening at a film festival here.
It tells the well-known story of Donald Crowhurst, an entrant in the first nonstop solo round the world race.
At a time of sailing heroes, Crowhurst is shown as a talented but struggling family man with a dream of achieving recognition, who sets off still wearing his tie knowing his boat is not ready. Ill-prepared he finds himself in the Atlantic faced with the dilemma of choosing between probable death in the Southern Ocean and financial ruin for himself and his family should he give up. Succumbing to temptation he elects to remain in the Atlantic and fake his progress joining back in the race at the tail end. In the end fate takes a hand, and he is faced with exposure. Alone for many months he has ample time to consider the consequences of his choice between what he comes to see as the forces of good and evil.
The film is based on newsreels of the time and interviews with his colleagues, his wife and children. These provide both, a context against which his actions can be seen, and the wider view of the impact on his family and others.
When empathy and context are added to the bald facts the result is a moving drama, certainly of interest to would-be sailors and others interested in human aspirations.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Damn good movie reveiw there. It felt like it came straight from your heart, in a pure, unadulterated and unbiased manner. Just nice and simple with no unnecessary innotations or expectations for the movie goer to impossibly wish for. In fact, the next time I fly first class, probably within 22 years, I'll be sure to have the stew put this fine cineramic masterpiece on in the bathroom, so that all of my fellow passengers may enjoy it in it's proper environment. I'm already trembling in anticipation........

Thank you,

Rick
Old 07-13-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
I've read The Strange Last Voyage, it's disturbing. He was a nut case.
Old 07-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Crowhurst had some serious problems...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-14-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
In my opinion, his life is a cautionary tale against betting it all on longshot odds.
Old 01-09-2008

rugeley is on a distinguished road
Where can you get this movie?
Old 01-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
In the other thread they have a link to a website with a BitTorrent file for it. It is an 892 MB .AVI video file, so you'll want a really fast internet connection and a good BitTorrent client.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-16-2008

hertfordnc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotaloud View Post
I've read The Strange Last Voyage, it's disturbing. He was a nut case.
I watched this last night and I must defend him a bit- he didn't start out a nut case.

He departed thinking he had a shot. The boat started to come apart. He spun his wheels for a while pondering his plight. His sponsors would repossess his entire life if he returned early. His own father had been impoverished late in life and it killed him. The guy had a big load on his shoulders and no way to work through it.

So he decides to fake his trip thinking he can slide in fourth and not be carefully scrutinized. Not the most honorable thing to do but he was putting his family first.

The strange irony is that the Frenchman decides to test his endurance and keep sailing and Tetley pushes himself extra hard to beat Crowhurst and breaks his boat. So Crowhurst is the prospective winner by accident.

Why do I always defend the nutcases?
Old 06-16-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordnc View Post
I watched this last night and I must defend him a bit- he didn't start out a nut case.

He departed thinking he had a shot. The boat started to come apart. He spun his wheels for a while pondering his plight. His sponsors would repossess his entire life if he returned early. His own father had been impoverished late in life and it killed him. The guy had a big load on his shoulders and no way to work through it.

So he decides to fake his trip thinking he can slide in fourth and not be carefully scrutinized. Not the most honorable thing to do but he was putting his family first.

The strange irony is that the Frenchman decides to test his endurance and keep sailing and Tetley pushes himself extra hard to beat Crowhurst and breaks his boat. So Crowhurst is the prospective winner by accident.

Why do I always defend the nutcases?
Mate, in the case of Crowhurst I have no idea. He was most assuredly gone for all money well before the start. The voyage was supposed to be a showcase for his whizzbang electronics, none of which worked, some of which he didn't even have installed before he left. He managed to leave critical supplies on the wharf when he set sail and he had to return to harbour pretty much before he had departed because he couldn't work out some of the control lines on his boat.

What's more Crowhurst's faked positions were what pushed Tetley not anything Crowhurst was really doing. Tetley was the real tragedy of that race. He deserved to win it yet he ended up destitute and finally committed suicide. For that alone Crowhurst deserves damnation. Indeed to suggest that he was doing it for his family gives the man far too much credit in my opinion. He signed a sponsorship deal knowing full well that if he failed to finish at least a proportion of the race he had to pay back the money and if he actually thought he could make it then he most certainly was barking mad.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 06-17-2008

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
I think he was an ordinary guy who in a time of sailing heros wanted to be somebody and put himself financially on the line. Having done this and opened his big mouth neither he nor his boat were up to it. He certainly knew this but lacked the wherewithall to back off. What followed was the heightened stakes of disgrace and ruin or his life, or knowing he was a fraud. Such are our follies.