Fixed vs. Folding Props: How Much Difference? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 07-14-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianhlnd
Hey Sd, it's 0213 hrs on the east coast...... GO TO BED!!!! Give us other guys a chance
LOL... never been one to need much sleep...

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 07-15-2007 Thread Starter

Good information there, Valiente. Thanks! 1/2 kt, eh? Didn't expect it to be that much.

Don't know what brands they are, guys. I'm guessing the fixed prop is probably original equipment, whatever that was. By the fact the PO has tended to put nothing but top-quality stuff on the boat, by way of upgrades, I'm also guessing he didn't skimp on the folding prop. I'll have to ask him what it is.

Thanks,
Jim
post #13 of 17 Old 07-15-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
Some folding props are really bad and crappy...
Identify, please.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-15-2007

Smile Fix all the way

Remember, the more moving parts the more chance of a problem. I have NEVER lost a fixed prop but I did loose a folding prop in the middle of Sir Frances Drake channel two years ago. Keep the folding as a spare. The speed difference does'nt matter unless your in a real hurry.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-15-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by wine1959
Remember, the more moving parts the more chance of a problem. I have NEVER lost a fixed prop but I did loose a folding prop in the middle of Sir Frances Drake channel two years ago. Keep the folding as a spare. The speed difference does'nt matter unless your in a real hurry.
Any prop can be lost, fixed, folding or otherwise. That you lost a folder doesn't constitute an indictment of folders. And whether or not the speed difference is important is merely your opinion, not a statement of fact.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 07-15-2007 at 01:34 AM.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-15-2007
Telstar 28

On a long ocean passage, the speed difference could well matter... a speed difference of just 1/2 a knot is 12 nautical miles per day...and over a longer passage those 12 nm add up to possibly getting in a few days earlier than not having the folding prop.

Also, sailing in tidal currents... if you can make five-and-a-half knots against a two knot current, you're going 3.5 knots...if you can only make five knots, you're going 14.3% slower.

If the folding prop gains you a full knot, then the differences will be even larger. Over a ten-day passage, with a speed difference of one knot, your talking 240 nautical miles difference... that's two days worth of sailing in many boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wine1959

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-15-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim
Good information there, Valiente. Thanks! 1/2 kt, eh? Didn't expect it to be that much.
That's strictly in light air. If I had my No.1 and the full main loosely tensioned on a beam reach in eight knots of wind, I would make four knots with the fixed prop. With the Gori, I make 4.5 knots. I also notice that in very light air (sub-5 knots), the boat WILL move in situations where a one-knot counter-current would completely defeat it previously.

Over 15 knots, I can't see any difference, but for typical high-summer sailing in Lake Ontario, that 1/2 knot gain is pretty obvious and is welcome, as is the perceptible acceleration now that there isn't a fixed prop.

When shifting gears at slow motor speeds, however, you have to rev the engine a bit more at first to get the blades to deploy...a small consideration, but it can affect your timing in a tight place.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.