Dagnabbit! Not again....What's the worst thing you've ever dropped in the water? - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
A genuine imitation Rolex watch...

I was rowing some friends out to another friend's boat on Sebago Lake in Maine. I knew that I'd have to swim back to the boat, after dropping off the dinghy, and didn't want to get the watch wet. So, I tossed the watch to the folks in the cockpit. I aimed a little high, and the watch cleared my friends, the cockpit, and the boat.

After I dropped the dinghy off at the dock, and swam the 100 yards back to the boat, I could see the watch shining up at me from about 20' below in the water. I dove over and picked it up - still works today!

One of the best $20 watches I ever had!

Ed
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I wonder what happens when the gf finds out there's a $10,000 MARPOL fine associated with her plastic card being discharged into the water...and her name's the only one on it.

Gotta find a bank that offers floating bank cards!
Old 07-17-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
That watch keeps ticking story reminds me of an incident that happened about 8 years ago.

I was returning from a dive off my prior boat, when my Pelican secondary dive light fell out of my BCD pocket. I didn't realize it at the time, actually not even until my next dive, days later - since the light always stays in the pocket.

The following summer, I dove the same area again after dropping anchor in the favorite cove we anchored in over 12 months before. The depth averaged 30 feet, with a rock-strewn sandy bottom, which gradually sloped down to 50 feet. Upon returning to the boat, about 60 minutes later, I noticed what I thought was a florescent yellow plant stem, growing about 6 inches from the bottom. The stem had a bushy growth of greenish foliage at it's top.

After pulling on the stem - I was surprised to find it was my lost light, buried under the sandy surface. The "stem" was actually the lanyard - with it's bouyant plastic adjusting clip, creating the illusion of a living plant swaying in the currents. I was even further shocked to find the lamp still worked after switching it on.

I still use that Pelican light - after a fresh battery change and a good scrubbing to remove the resident seagrowth.
Old 07-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Pelican lights, like their cases, are close to indestructible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-17-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I gotta get me one of those lights.
Nice testiment to Pelican Blue.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-17-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I once dropped an anchor in one place. I never saw it after.

But 3 days later, as we were getting ready to leave, I saw a rope attached to my bow....I pulled it...

MY ANCHOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

somehow it was attached to a chain!!!!!!!!!!!! and the chain was attached to that rope....I am really lucky!!!

What is funny it happen many times.....after
Old 07-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Giu-

Who keeps an anchor on a racing boat??? You must have been on the wrong boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
I once dropped an anchor in one place. I never saw it after.

But 3 days later, as we were getting ready to leave, I saw a rope attached to my bow....I pulled it...

MY ANCHOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

somehow it was attached to a chain!!!!!!!!!!!! and the chain was attached to that rope....I am really lucky!!!

What is funny it happen many times.....after

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-17-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Giu-

Who keeps an anchor on a racing boat??? You must have been on the wrong boat...
Why do you think I keep throwing it into the water???

But the damn thing looks like its made in Australia...somehow it "boomerangs" its way back into my bow, (only 4 months a year thank God)

Last time it was TommyT who installed it on my boat...damn you Tom.....
Old 07-17-2007

twogrins is on a distinguished road
does falliing overboard myself count? I like to never got myself back up. Got a good view of the spot I missed painting though....and a new appreciation for the tanglesomness ( is that a word?) of kelp.
Old 07-17-2007

WuWei is on a distinguished road
On our old Holder Vagabond 17'er, we had the primative port-a-pottie. But unlike any port-a-pottie, the inside was a 5-gallon bucket. When you had to go, you just filled the bucket with some water, put it back in the port-a-pottie case, did your deed, dumped it overboard, and rinsed the bucket in the saltwater (TP went in zip-lock bags in the garbage, so it wasn't totally illegal.) Well, one day, the hubby gets sick to his tummy. After a half an hour on the ghetto toilet (on a boat this small, they are prcatically sitting next to you while you are in the cockpit with the tiller), the hubby comes out, with said bucket, and loses the whole thing overboard! I laughed hysterically, as this was the funniest thing I had ever seen. He goes into panic mode- "What are we going to do? We lost our port-a-pottie insert!" I said, "Well, you can hang your ass overboard until we get home and buy another 5-gallon bucket!" Fortunately, we have since moved up to a 30' boat with a holding tank, but that was still the funniest thing to see someone lose on a sailboat!

Chris
US 30' Wu-Wei
DIY Sailor, US Yachts owners group