Looking to help crew a long ocean trip. Need Advice. - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
There are safe easy ports along the west coast every 100-150 miles, no need for dozens of jerry cans either. People have been trolling salmon this time of year for the last 100 yease in 26 foot wooden trollers. Y'all are trying to make this into an epic voyage, it's a frikkin lake sail. The books back up everything I have said. Me and the books or a bunch of people that have never cruzed the lost coast, your call. Im done here.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, Alex's boat is a wee bit bigger than a Catalina 30... and probably much better equipped....

Wildcard-

You might want to do the math... at six knots... it will take at close to 10 hours to reach a port if you're between the two ports and they're only 100 nm apart. That's an awfully long time if a bad storm system pops up... and many of the ports on the west coast are very treacherous if you try entering them in heavy weather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-16-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-16-2007

I FRIKKIN MADE MY LIVING THERE! Storms dont come up much in the summer and when they do they are from the NW. Only West wells present a problem and they pass in a day or two in the worst of conditions.
Im starting to wonder if anyone here ever leaves the dock or just sits at the puter worring about what might happen if they go out?
The only real concern is dying of boordom sitting in fog with no wind.
I dont know a whole lot about sail boats, yet, but I know the Pacific inside and out.
Old 07-16-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
http://www.boatoregon.com/Library/ColumbiaMouth.pdf

Makes a big deal out of exiting the Columbia River and references strong currents in several places:
C. Jetty A, which is southeast of Cape
Disappointment, presents a particularly strong
danger when the current is ebbing. Water
flowing out of the river is deflected by the
jetty, and frequently the current reaches eight
knots.

A. Chinook Spur and upper, lower, and
middle Sand Island spurs are built on two
rows of staggered pilings. Currents flowing
through these pilings attain a velocity of five
knots or more.

So it appears that currents DO exceed 2.5 knots fairly regularly. I've never been there...but I would tend to believe the Oregon State Marine Board.
Old 07-16-2007

NoDoubt is an unknown quantity at this point
11 Die off Oregon Coast

3 Die off Oregon coast

California Boat wrecks off Oregon coast

Looks safe to me......

Old 07-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Rather curious as to what your boating experience is along this section of the western coast of the United States.

If it is in powerboats or large commercial ships, then the situation isn't at all the same. Most powerboats and commercial ships can make it back to a port, given the 100-150 nm distance between ports, in half the time of a small sailboat, like the Catalina 30.

Also, curious to how you respond to Cam's post. If the currents are above two or three knots consistently, then a small sailboat is going to have even tougher a time making it into a safe harbor when a storm comes up.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-16-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
My C30 has a great big cockpit and companionway just waiting to swallow up a bunch of ocean. I've sailed it long and hard for the last eight months -- why, the sails are just a couple of rags now and the hull is paper thin. There is no way in hell I would take it out on the open ocean with two strangers on a multi-day passage. Wildcard, you's WILD...
Old 07-16-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard
Im starting to wonder if anyone here ever leaves the dock.....I know the Pacific inside and out.
Well then you're the only one. No one knows the real power and unexpected fury of the ocean.

Last edited by knotaloud; 07-16-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
http://www.boatoregon.com/Library/ColumbiaMouth.pdf

Makes a big deal out of exiting the Columbia River and references strong currents in several places:
C. Jetty A, which is southeast of Cape
Disappointment, presents a particularly strong
danger when the current is ebbing. Water
flowing out of the river is deflected by the
jetty, and frequently the current reaches eight
knots.

A. Chinook Spur and upper, lower, and
middle Sand Island spurs are built on two
rows of staggered pilings. Currents flowing
through these pilings attain a velocity of five
knots or more.

So it appears that currents DO exceed 2.5 knots fairly regularly. I've never been there...but I would tend to believe the Oregon State Marine Board.
Thats the river bar currents not the ocean current.Like any nasty bar, you go with the tides and dont be stupid. All y'all candyasses just stay in your ponds then and leave the Pacific to me. GezusHfrikkinnchrist. Look at the summer conditions in the west pacific and not pull random clips of idiots sailing in the winter and getting killed. He wants to sail in the summer, THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM!
Old 07-17-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Can he go with you, then? You sound more experienced than his prospective skipper, and probably have a better boat for this passage.