Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007

eclipse785 is on a distinguished road
Looking to help crew a long ocean trip. Need Advice.

OK,.. here's the deal. I responded to a Craigslist ad that was for someone who is looking to sail their 30' Catalina up from Moss Landing, CA to Astoria, OR. I don't know much about sailing, but I know the genral stuff (I can sail a Sunfish fairly well), and I want to learn. Anyways,.. I spoke to the owner today and he told me that he wants a crew of three; him, myself, and another experienced sailor. If I agree to this, we'd be leaving on the 25th of July and be out for God knows how long. He's also supplying all the food and transportation back home.

So here's what I need:
  • General advice
  • How long should this trip take? (roughly)
  • What should I ask or do before the trip?
  • How dangerous is this really?
  • Am I stupid for even considering this?

I think this would be a fun adventure. Ok, well maybe more of an adventure than fun, but you get the point.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Who's the owner? Check him out. If you have his name, post it here. Let;s see if anyone knows him here. You can also post in: cruisersforum.com, ssca, and latts & atts. Make sure you get on the boat with a competent captain. They lost a cat up there not too long ago with a whole crew of VERY experienced trans-pacific delivery team. You don't want to crew with someone incompetent.

Also, I assume you are a male?

I don't think you are stupid for this... just be sensible and cautious. You interview him as much as he interview you.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-16-2007

SallyH is on a distinguished road
Also read INFORMATION TO ASSIST CREW (halfway down the page).

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2007

eclipse785 is on a distinguished road
That's the thing, I don't know the owner aside from his first name "Mickey". When I spoke to him, he mentioned that he wasn't all that experienced either. The "Captain" I guess will be this other guy he's recruited who has 'some' experience doing this. And that's the other thing,.. aside from supposed history a particular person has, who am I to tell if he's competent?

And yes, I'm a 30 year old male - and my wife's a little nervous about me contemplating doing this.

As far as I can tell, it will be about a 720 mile trip. Any guesses to how long it would take?
Old 07-16-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Eclipse,

Regarding how long this would take: Are you sailing straight through? How many times are you stopping? How will the weather participate, or are you sailing out no matter what??

First, I have NOT made that sail. I have sailed the S CA area, not there. But that has nothing to do with the info I have given you.

I will give you my perspective. THis is just mine. But I would not crew on that run without a very expereinced captain and a very sea worthy boat. If you are unable to ascertain either because of your inexperience, you are trusting to a man's good word, his luck, or both.

I wouldn't... not unless I could really interview the captain and get a really good feel for the boat. But that is just me and I tend to be a bit cautious with my life. As I strongly undersatand it, if a nice storm kicks up, you WILL weather it at sea. You wil not make a port.

How are you going to deal with that? THe boat? THe captain? What is everyones sea sick threshold??

Lot's to contemplate and take on faith for someone you do not know. And if he is such a great guy, why doesn't he have friends or family going with him instead? Or someone from the marina that knows him???

Basically: WHat does your gut tell you?

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-16-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
Dude, that sounds like a script to a disaster movie. Don't do it. that's not an easy sail; difficult winds, big water and major grounding potential along the coast. Are they planning to go off shore or follow the coastline?
Old 07-16-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
First red flag--Craig's List. Or as we say in So Cal, the last exit before toll. Second flag is going north, even in the summer in a 30 footer.
Third flag is your experience, plus the unknown of the owner. Trust me, there are a hundred different much better ways to get the dog **** scared out of you. This trip would be #101 on that list.

Short answer, no. Come down to So Cal where it's warmer and the weather is more benign and get some offshore miles under your ass first...........

Rick
Old 07-16-2007

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Okay, I'm an ex-East coaster and Gulf-coaster who knows Jack s*%t about the west coast, except that it's rocky, except for a couple of inlets which are hair-raising to enter in good conditions, and suicidal in heavy conditions.

One more thing.. a Catalina 30 is not really a "blue water" boat, it's more of a coast -crawler. If, in summer, you get fair weather, this may not be a factor, but be forewarned just in case.

That considered, some general advice:

He wants a 3rd crewmember so you all can sleep (maybe) 8 hours, "work" 8 hours, and have another 8 hours to respond to whatever. That's a wise move, fatigue is your biggest enemy.

Be conservative and figure on no better than a 4-knot average speed, to account for calm conditions or head seas. You can then do the math as to how long it'll take, because I have absolutely no idea where Moss Landing, or anything else in Cali, is... I just know, from hearing from others, that it's an unforgiving coast. So maybe it'll take you 4 days if you get decent breeze, or 5 if you don't.

I'm basically unqualified to advise you. But if you view it as "more adventure than fun", you just might like it.

So I don't think it's "stupid", but more of a calculated risk. You ought to make sure there's at least one experienced and sober offshore sailor in the group, and you have a good set of charts, and a reliable GPS. If so, the adventure will be more than worth the risk.

Please bear in mind, once again, that this advice comes from someone who doesn't know the west coast except for a racing regatta in SF bay...

That said, if your gut tells you that neither of the other 2 sailors are actively trying to kill you, then do it, you might like it, and learn a lot...
Old 07-16-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
Man you people have no sense of adventure! Go meet the guy and check out the boat, if then you are in a comfort zone, go for it. The hidie holes along the coast can be few and far between but it is summer and the weather is not so bad.Just make sure the boat has radar and a decent chart plotter. I fished the west coat from Ft Bragg to Canada for several years. It CAN get ugly but big storms this time of the year are scarce. Id also expect to be motoring, a lot.
PS, make sure you have a good survival suit too, not some old left over POS from a fishing boat.
Old 07-16-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Tommyt and Valiente crossed the Atlantic to Portugal, to sail with a guy they never met, in a boat they only saw photos of, in waters they have never heard of, not knowing the owners experience and came back with great memories....I believe the sense of unknown and aventure give it some spice. That would not be the reason I wouldn't go.

I'd do a small reality check, and check them out. Then decide.

HOWEVER....I wouldn't do it not because the sea is rough or the winds are tough.

I wouldn't do it because that boat will at best do 7 knots per hour, and that may be pushing its speed....meaning you will do (assuming you don't stop) around 70 miles per day, meaning that if all goes well you will be sailing for 11 days if one leg or more if you stop, just add the stopped days. And you my freind, only sailed Sunfishes, how do you know you go "green" and puke your life out on day 2??? sailing at sea is not sailing a sunfish along the beach..that is the only reason I wouldn't do it...get some coastal time, see how your body reacts, then go for a major trip...

I know many a good sailors with many "rounds" under the belt, that on day 2 vomit their brains out, and got very very sick...sea sickness can kill you, because you WILL NOT be able to eat, and all liquids will leave your body, you will die of de-hidration...not a joke...

(by the way, knotaloud, if I were you I wouldn't be talking about horror movies, since the "script" of yours seems pretty big)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.