Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Nav Aid Networks

I'm going to upgrade the nav aid and I'm thinking of using Garmin, will start with the 3210 as the base and expand as I can. ( Radar,WX and such )

One problem I may have though is Radar, I have a wood mast and I'm very leary of mounting any kind of hdwr to it ( it's such a pretty spar )

Where can I go to veiw other mounting opitions and what would you guys & gals suggest as far as equip ( if not Garmin )

Tanks

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 07-17-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You can always shell out the money for a backstay radome mount or add a radar mast to the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-17-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
The consensus on the best backstay mounts appears to be with Waltz's products. Expensive, but the scuttlebutt claims they are worth it.

Radar leveling system
Old 07-18-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Radar leveling system
Now that's slick, Thanks for the link Valiente

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 07-18-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Pappy,
Notice also their mast mounting system. Picture apparently shows it with the sail guard. Does not look as if it would be too traumatic to your mast. I'd be trying to get the radome as high as possible.
Old 07-18-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
PoopDeck, Garmin is good IMHO, Furuno is excellent. I've had Furuno in boats for years and have never had a problem (well, a radar set wore out after almost 3000 hrs on it). Probably more expensive than Garmin, I'd go play with both and see which you like the most.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 07-18-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21

Notice also their mast mounting system. Picture apparently shows it with the sail guard. Does not look as if it would be too traumatic to your mast. I'd be trying to get the radome as high as possible.

Yeah, I saw that, I just can't bring myself to mount something that could eventually deteriorate the surrounding area.

There was a random thermal image scan on the spars and after 30 yrs there was no sign of rot and I would sure like to keep this rig another 30

Old 07-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21
Pappy,
Actually, you really don't want it as high as possible. There was one study that showed the most effective height for a small boat radar is about 16-20' above the waterline. If you go much higher than that, you increase range, but may create a blind zone up close to the boat. This is especially true on monohulls which may be heeled a fair amount unless a self-leveling mount is used.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-18-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I would discount that study, Dog. The only negative about a higher mounting is the effect of vessel motion. In the case of the mounts concerned, they are gimballed.

If you are relying on radar at the short distances a blind spot might cover you are operating in a scary manner. The whole point of the unit in the first place is to be able to reach out, over the horizon, and detect objects before they are upon you. If you depending on radar for close in detection it is similar to the driver who is only looking down his hood to the road in front of him. By the time he see's it, he's hit it.