Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008
capt'n

sandsailor is on a distinguished road
i tried the a-frame thing. too cumbersome i switched to cross tying the boom and running the rear stay over that . mast crutch is mounted on an extend able tongue for sliding the mast forward and launching the boat without a snorkel
Old 01-04-2008

starboardyacht is on a distinguished road
Skimmer 25, Great little boat........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosemiester View Post
Greetings
I have a "big boat" (36 ft) on Lake Erie, but live near smaller lakes and am thinking of a trailerable sailboat for those spur of the moment trips as the big boat is 90 miles away. There are plenty of smaller lakes with public ramps literally minutes away from my house.

I'm thinking of a Cal 22 or similar. My question for those of you that own one of these is whether or not one person can put the mast up, and how long it generally takes from "on the trailer" to "in the water". I'd like something big enough to have room for a porti-potty and an ice chest, but small enough that I could take a non boater to the lake and set it all up myself.

Thanks!!

I have a Skimmer 25 that I keep on a trailer at a friends house in Key West as a second boat. I fly down couple times a year, lived aboard last year for a month went out to ft. jefferson. Its one of the coolest boats i've ever seen or sailed: modified sharpie design, gaff rig, bowsprit, cb up sails in 16" of water, tabernackle on mast lets me raise and lower mast solo in about 30 seconds.... oh and best part, it is not slow, blown by j24's reaching. check out web site www.creativemarine.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2008

starboardyacht is on a distinguished road
Skimmer 25, Great little boat........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosemiester View Post
Greetings
I have a "big boat" (36 ft) on Lake Erie, but live near smaller lakes and am thinking of a trailerable sailboat for those spur of the moment trips as the big boat is 90 miles away. There are plenty of smaller lakes with public ramps literally minutes away from my house.

I'm thinking of a Cal 22 or similar. My question for those of you that own one of these is whether or not one person can put the mast up, and how long it generally takes from "on the trailer" to "in the water". I'd like something big enough to have room for a porti-potty and an ice chest, but small enough that I could take a non boater to the lake and set it all up myself.

Thanks!!

I have a Skimmer 25 that I keep on a trailer at a friends house in Key West as a second boat. I fly down couple times a year, lived aboard last year for a month went out to ft. jefferson. Its one of the coolest boats i've ever seen or sailed: modified sharpie design, gaff rig, bowsprit, cb up sails in 16" of water, tabernackle on mast lets me raise and lower mast solo in about 30 seconds.... oh and best part, it is not slow, blown by j24's reaching. check out web site www.creativemarine.com
Old 07-19-2009

Fordzilla is on a distinguished road
I'm new to sailing and looking to purchase and trailerable sailboat. I have read a lot about the Macgregor 26M but have yet to see one in real life action. I feel this would be a good boat for me since some of my boating will be on the hudson river motoring against the current. I like the Idea of this boat and the supposed easy sailing. Any Ideas? What other trailerables are out there at a reasonable cost?
Old 07-19-2009
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla View Post
I'm new to sailing and looking to purchase and trailerable sailboat. I have read a lot about the Macgregor 26M but have yet to see one in real life action. I feel this would be a good boat for me since some of my boating will be on the hudson river motoring against the current. I like the Idea of this boat and the supposed easy sailing. Any Ideas? What other trailerables are out there at a reasonable cost?

Egads, Fordzilla, you've uttered the "M" word. Be prepared to encounter the wrath of some anti-Mac people!! Some of their snobery is justified, some is not. While I have no experience with the 26M, I do have a 26S (an older, more traditional style sailboat) that does just fine for what we use it for. What you want to do is try to figure out what you'll be doing with the boat and then research which boat best matches that use. It may well be that a 26M is perfect for you. Or not. But make your decision on sound research and facts. MacGregorSailors.com is the Macgregor owners website. The Trailer Sailor - Home has some trailer sailor information.

Good luck,

Doug

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Old 07-19-2009

Mr. Doug, thank you for your advice. Aside from the trailerability of this boat, the 26m, I like seeing a giant motor hanging off the back of a sailboat. I live in New York between Long Island Sound and the Hudson River. That rather large outboard on the back that everyone seems to bash on this website actually has its benefits to me when boating in the river. After seeing many small trailer sailboats struggle against the current with those 5hp and smaller outboards, I feel the large 50hp motor can open up the river as another spot to cruise. Though everyone says these are better motor than sail boats, can anyone give me an honest non biased opinion on how well they do under sail? And Doug, thank you for the heads up on MacGregors. Poking around on this site, I am starting to realize that they are violently not liked around here. Is the new Mac hated for any reason or is it just the typical "Ford vs. Chevy" competition, where everyone else is Chevy?
Old 07-19-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
So you live on the East River. I can understand your thinking, but the M26 is just a bad boat. It does not sail or motor well and is ugly! I keep a real sailboat on the Hudson, Lots of people at our marina take the train up from Manhattan on Friday night and spend the weekend on their boats. With in a hour they are on their boats.

I do realize that you are thinking of trailer sailor, but have thought about the stepping and unstepping the mast every time you wish to go sailing?

Get a real boat and put on a mooring in long island sound, drive back forth to your boat and just use the trailer for winter storage. You would be a happier person and you will go boating more often than if you are launching from a trailer every time you want to go boating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bubb2; 07-19-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2009

freddyray is on a distinguished road
I have also heard the 26M does not sail or motor well. If you want a motor boat get one or a sail boat get one, but both would not imo work well.
Old 07-19-2009

I feel I am obligated to choose a trailer sailboat due to my income, allotted time boating and for the possibilities of sailing two areas. One being The Sound and the other being the Westchester County region of The Hudson.I feel more comfortable on a trailer on the land somewhere being that I cannot afford any slip at a marina. And the mast rasing system on the 26M was one feature of the boat that appealed to me because I have already heard horror stories of mast raising on other sailboats. My work schedule can sometimes keep me occupied for months on end or sometimes have me completely free all the time, and I am afraid to leave a boat on a mooring for up to 4 months on end with out anyone checking on it.

Though off the topic of Macgregor. . . .or should I say Ma******r. It seems in the sailing world saying M** is just like cursing. I am really here not because of the 26M, but I am here because I am new to sailing and looking for pointers where to start. My main concern would be to find a trailerable sailboat under 28 feet which is easily handled by inexperienced boaters. I have been around power boats as a child but the lady has never set foot off the land. So, come on guys and gals. . . .help me out. Tell me about some other boats. I'd like to purchase a boat by fall so I can do any prep work over the winter to go sailing next summer. Thanks,
"Zeke"

-Saying MA******R on sailnet is like saying F**K everywhere else.
Old 07-19-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Ford, We had 2 M26 in our marina. Both were purchased new. One was just across the floater from me and I got know the owner fairly well. Both boats were sold at substantial losses with in 3 years because the more the owners got into boating the more they learned the M26 was not the boat for them. Both owners got real sailboats.

Thats why you find them cheep and lots of them on the used boat market.

Never Forgotten

Last edited by bubb2; 07-19-2009 at 11:22 PM.