Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Suggestion

Zeke, my suggestion is to check out "Trailersailor.com," you will find most of the people there are a bit more open minded (a bit more polite) and not quite as judgmental. It seems that there is a certain amount of snobbery found at certain sailing sites. I suppose they enjoy looking down their noses at mere trailer sailors. Of course it may be more of a regional thing, instead of what they are sailing. Not sure why some people feel a need to be that way. I suppose it makes them feel superior, maybe it was something in their childhood or maybe something traumatic in their life.

Yes I have a Mac 26s model, not the motor sailer. For what I use it for, it works great. To be honest, the Mac26m or x doesn't really excite me for my use but they have sold a bunch of them over the years. I have also never seen a structural defect in one, something you can't say about many of the other companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla View Post
I feel I am obligated to choose a trailer sailboat due to my income, allotted time boating and for the possibilities of sailing two areas. One being The Sound and the other being the Westchester County region of The Hudson.I feel more comfortable on a trailer on the land somewhere being that I cannot afford any slip at a marina. And the mast rasing system on the 26M was one feature of the boat that appealed to me because I have already heard horror stories of mast raising on other sailboats. My work schedule can sometimes keep me occupied for months on end or sometimes have me completely free all the time, and I am afraid to leave a boat on a mooring for up to 4 months on end with out anyone checking on it.

Though off the topic of Macgregor. . . .or should I say Ma******r. It seems in the sailing world saying M** is just like cursing. I am really here not because of the 26M, but I am here because I am new to sailing and looking for pointers where to start. My main concern would be to find a trailerable sailboat under 28 feet which is easily handled by inexperienced boaters. I have been around power boats as a child but the lady has never set foot off the land. So, come on guys and gals. . . .help me out. Tell me about some other boats. I'd like to purchase a boat by fall so I can do any prep work over the winter to go sailing next summer. Thanks,
"Zeke"

-Saying MA******R on sailnet is like saying F**K everywhere else.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
Zeke, my suggestion is to check out "Trailersailor.com," you will find most of the people there are a bit more open minded (a bit more polite) and not quite as judgmental. It seems that there is a certain amount of snobbery found at certain sailing sites. I suppose they enjoy looking down their noses at mere trailer sailors. Of course it may be more of a regional thing, instead of what they are sailing. Not sure why some people feel a need to be that way. I suppose it makes them feel superior, maybe it was something in their childhood or maybe something traumatic in their life.

Yes I have a Mac 26s model, not the motor sailer. For what I use it for, it works great. To be honest, the Mac26m or x doesn't really excite me for my use but they have sold a bunch of them over the years. I have also never seen a structural defect in one, something you can't say about many of the other companies.

If you were addressing my comments you are way off base. It has nothing to do trailer sailer's. Lots of J24's and Beneteau 235's out there on trailers and they are good boats. It has every to do with M26.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2009

freddyray is on a distinguished road
their is nothing wrong with the Macgregor's that I know of. Many people around here sail them, but not that model. It tries to be all things to all people and it turns out to be nothing to any. Get a Venture or another Macgregor like the 25.
Old 07-20-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
To me there are two kinds of trailerable sailboats.

1) Any sailboat you can put on a trailer and tow down the road.

2) A sailboat you can LAUNCH from a trailer on a normal ramps. No slings, no extensions, no special ramps.

Some boat are only trailered to the marina and back once a season. I don't believe these boats are used as trailer sailors and owners will see short commings compaired to docked boats near them. They share the same costs as the bigger and heavier boats, bottom cleaning, dock fees, and problems with humidity, etc. but don't have the ammenties.

On the other hand, you won't see the docked "real boats" heading out to that lake you neighbor told you about 25 miles away for the day or weekend.

You might want to watch this video

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 07-20-2009

why do we want to watch a video of someone riding a motorcycle?
Old 07-20-2009

I put trailerable boats you can launch from a normal ramp there are many around here for sale in the 2000 dollar range in the 22-25ft category. Once you get bigger you start getting boats that are harder to rig and harder to launch. With the smaller boats you give up cabin space as well, but it's a trade off.
Old 07-20-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
oops
Try this vid

Mac26S_PromoCD.wmv

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 07-20-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Lots to choose from

Based on your needs I would suggest something under 20 feet. Since you already have a big boat to stay overnight. You will probably want something easily trailered, setup and launched. Most boats in the 17-19 foot range should fit this need. All boats in this size should have a small cuddy cabin with Porta-potty as well and room to camp out if need be.

I had a Chrysler 22 with a mast raising system and could do it solo but it took a while and scared me when doing it. As long as it is not too windy the mast on a 17-19 footer should be easy enough to manhandle up which has the advantage of low prep time.

I would also suggest something with a drop keel, centerboard, stub keel or wing keel, nothing more than a 3' draft. Ease of launching at any ramp would open up a lot more options.

There are quite a number of trailerable boats in this range.
Already mentioned
West Wright Potter 15 don't forget the WWP 19 also
The Siren
Montgomery 15 and 19s
Compac and Precision make boats in the 16 foot range and up that would fit your needs. Although the newer ones can be very expensive, there are some used ones out there.
Venture/Macgregor, Oday and Catalina also have boats in this size.
If you have some money to spend 20k+ and would like to go fast, look at an Ultimate 20.

As mentioned check out the trailersailor.com to get some suggestions from a broad range of trailersailors. Since it is your second boat for just daysailing, I would just find something locally or nearby at the right price, in sailable condition, so you can get out more often this summer. There are lot of boat going for cheap right now.

Good luck in your search.
Old 07-20-2009

Fordzilla is on a distinguished road
Ok guys, so far I'm loving the website and support from the fellow boaters. Thanks for everything so far and I've learned alot in just a few days of poking around here. Im in the market for something to do extended day trips and overnights, so an enclosed head is one concern of mine. A porta-toilet between the V-berth seems alittle crude especially with the significant other sleeping a few feet away. And as anal as I can be with the supposed "buying someone elses headache," I'm hoping to buy something almost new if not all out new. Why?. . . not a clue, just a compulsive personal preference. But, completely new is nearly out of the question, so I will settle for something no more than a few years old. I guess I'm not much of a sailor being that I am looking towards more accommodations rather than sailing performance. Thank you for telling me about trailer sailor, it has become helpful though I prefer to keep my forum chat here. I think people speak more freely here though however harsh they may sound. A little harshness helps in getting your message out sometimes so, all apologies if I may sound rude or crude at times. Also, no hard feelings towards anyone else voicing their opinion. More opinions wanted. . . . . Any thoughts on the Hunter 25? (it goes on a trailer. . .??. . . ) Thanks, "Zeke"

"You're the one who orders a new yacht with a generator and A/C, then ties your bed sheets to the antennas and goes around calling him self a sailor." - Anonymous
Old 07-20-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Ford, take a look! A real trailer "sailor"
Welcome On Board General Boats, The Rhodes 22 Sailboat.

Never Forgotten