Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007

Moosemiester is on a distinguished road
Question for you trailer-sailors out there

Greetings
I have a "big boat" (36 ft) on Lake Erie, but live near smaller lakes and am thinking of a trailerable sailboat for those spur of the moment trips as the big boat is 90 miles away. There are plenty of smaller lakes with public ramps literally minutes away from my house.

I'm thinking of a Cal 22 or similar. My question for those of you that own one of these is whether or not one person can put the mast up, and how long it generally takes from "on the trailer" to "in the water". I'd like something big enough to have room for a porti-potty and an ice chest, but small enough that I could take a non boater to the lake and set it all up myself.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Just this past Friday I helped someone put up there mast on a cal 22. If he were alone, he may be still trying to get it up. I think you need a second person, just to keep you from banging and maybe damaging things on the boat. It wasn't very heavy but it was awkward. The wakes from boats passing by also didn't help matters.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I've got a 21' Cal. Stepping the mast is best done with two, but do-able solo. Check out Goose's recent thread on the subject of stepping the mast alone.
First time rigging time-1 hour. After that, it's no problem getting it down to 30-45 minutes. All you need the second hand for is to pull the line attached to the forestay, no sailing skills required. My wife does that while I lift the mast and guide everything. It's not a strength issue but one of leverage.
Cals are well built boats with a turn of speed, great in light air.

p.s. put the mast up while the boat's on the trailer!
Old 07-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Moose-

It depends on the boat and how it is rigged. Most trailerable boats can be rigged with a gin pole or A-frame mast raising system easily enough, and then it is pretty simple for a single person to raise or lower the mast. The A-frame systems are easier than the gin poles...and a bit safer IMHO.

Once you get a system of rigging and launching the boat, you can probably go from on the trailer to ready to sail in about 30-40 minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-17-2007

WuWei is on a distinguished road
Moose,

Having previously owned a Holder Vagabond 17'er, it took the two of us and a lot of cursing to raise the mast. We ended up paying for dry storage at our marina so we would no longer have to incur this nightmare. So, realistically, I am horrified to think of one person masting a 20'er. It can be done, I guess, but screw that noise! Either take a couple friends with you each time you sail, or leave her in dry storage with mast up close to where you launch.

Chris
US 30' Wu-Wei
DIY Sailor, US Yachts owners group
Old 07-17-2007

Moosemiester is on a distinguished road
Wow I'm glad I asked. A very long time ago I had a 14' Chrylser Lonestar that I could rig myself in 15 minutes with practice.

As I already own a 45' slip and a 36' boat 90 miles away having another boat stored is not an option!! Need something I can trailer to the ramp five minutes away, but not so small/tippy that the wife will never do it :-)

Reccomendations on a smaller trailer sailor, day sailing only, smaller in size but big enough to hold a porti-potti in the cabin and a mast short enough I can set her up myself?

This is a size of boat I'm just not familiar with.

Thx
Old 07-17-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Some boats, such as the Compac, have a tabernacle, that makes raising the mast easier for one person. Trust me, once you've done it a few times you'll have it down to a science. Practise in the driveway with a buddy so that you know exactly how things should go. Then you'll have enough experience to tell a rookie, 'here, pull on this'. You rig everything but the forestay ahead of time, so you step the mast, and you lift it from aft while your compatriot pulls on a mooring line bent onto the forestay. Once the strain is off you and they're pulling all you're doing is steadying the mast. Get it vertical and attach the forestay. This mast is A LOT lighter than what you are used to on your "big" boat. Probably best to visit the owner of the Cal and raise and lower it together. As I mentioned, do this on the trailer. Doing it on the water can be a receipe for disaster, but doable if absolutely necessary.

Last edited by sailaway21; 07-17-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
WuWei-

I can raise or lower the mast on my boat, which is a 35' 6" mast, in about 10 minutes by myself. I've helped setup A-frame based rigs on several dozen boats, and once they're setup, it is pretty easy to raise the mast single-handed.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-17-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

My first boat was a Catalina 22. We trailer sailed it for the first year, but not the second year. Even after practice, it took two people an hour to go from arriving at the marina, until we were on the boat and motoring away from the dock. It took two people to raise (and lower) the mast.

If you want a trailerable boat I would look for something smaller like a Catalina 18, or maybe an O'day Daysailer.

Good luck,
Barry

Old 07-18-2007

dodgeboatguy is on a distinguished road
I have a 22' macgregor and trailer it to the lake every weekend and have no problem stepping the mast solo I do it on the trailer. I slide the mast to the step plate bolt it in with it still resting on the support used for towing make shure all stays shrouds and halyards are where they will fall into the right place the hook one end of my boom vang to the ring on the mast for cliping unused halyards and the other end to the bow cleat so once I stand it up I can hold it in place while I hook up the forstay.

total time pullingup to the boat dock to in the water a best of about 15 min and a worst of about an hour and a half last week 95 degrees and no wind had to grab a cupple of beer so setting the boat up for a day of motoring around and bsing would sound like a better idea.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.