Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007

HeadbangerSmurf is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to HeadbangerSmurf
Free sailboat!

I'm so excited! Last Friday someone in my area posted a free AMF Flying Fish sailboat on our local Freecycle mailing list and I was the first to reply! We picked it up tonight and it's in really good shape! It even came with a beach trailer! My boys started cleaning it when we got it home but they still have work to do. My wife is going to figure out what we need to do to get it registered and if we can get the stickers I think we'll hit the lake tomorrow! The sails need a tiny bit of love (a few small rips but nothing major), there are a few small cracks in the fiberglass but nothing flimsy or through the hull, and everything looks pretty darn good! I've got to find a drain plug for the back of it and tomorrow I'll take a better look at the cracks. From what I saw tonight it's solid as a rock. My boys are freaking out because they've been in Optis and Sunfish so far and this thing is huge compared to both those boats. I'll let you know if we sink once we get it registered.

Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cool... you lucked out... most free boats are generally very expensive things to get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-17-2007

capttb is on a distinguished road
Don't know about Michigan but here you don't need to register a boat that doesn't have a motor, might wanta check.
Old 07-17-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
Florida is also that way. No motor, no need to register.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
Old 07-18-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Hope it turns out to be in as good a shape as it sounds, have a great time tomorrow. We have to register anything over 16' and/or anything with 10hp or more.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 07-18-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
Free! I like free. Those Flying Fish boats are actually pretty good little sailboats. You'll need hiking straps for sure though. The first thing I would do is practice righting, as they like to tip over. They're easy to right, but I'd still try it once or twice before you go out. And if it's the model with the little round cuddy cabin/storage area, you might want a cover for the hole, or it will fill up with water, every time you're knocked over. Also, make sure your boys don't get stuck in the hole, because they WILL try to fit in there.
Old 07-18-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Cool... you lucked out... most free boats are generally very expensive things to get.
Tell me about it! I still can't believe how lucky we are!

Tom
Old 07-18-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22
Hope it turns out to be in as good a shape as it sounds, have a great time tomorrow. We have to register anything over 16' and/or anything with 10hp or more.
From what I can tell this thing is 16' long. It's got a watercraft sticker from 1995 on it but no numbers. I'm going to call the secretary of state and find out what we need to do to get a new sticker.

Tom
Old 07-18-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotaloud
Free! I like free. Those Flying Fish boats are actually pretty good little sailboats. You'll need hiking straps for sure though. The first thing I would do is practice righting, as they like to tip over. They're easy to right, but I'd still try it once or twice before you go out. And if it's the model with the little round cuddy cabin/storage area, you might want a cover for the hole, or it will fill up with water, every time you're knocked over. Also, make sure your boys don't get stuck in the hole, because they WILL try to fit in there.
I love free when it's in shape like this boat! It came with hiking straps so we should be all set. Heck, it even came with an oar!

Tom
Old 07-18-2007
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
Take a picture of it and show us?