Pan Pan - I am in a situation and could use some advice. - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
'Christy Leigh' I only contacted Tow Boat because they must have a record of the owner because they were the ones that brought it here. I am hoping to get name and phone number so the owner can be made aware of his problem.. Another neighbor has told me they were able to contact the other boats watch person and he said he would come right over. Apparently that call was made at 8 am this morning. Love how he is jumping on that. This is the guy who is suppose to be watching and working on the boat that was hit. It has lost all portholes on the starboard side, and there is a bunch of big scrapes, not to mention I believe he has also dragged a bit to the north.

Hello Sailor says; Stick an alarm clock and some highway flares in their cockpit, wrapped up with duct tape. Call Homeland Security and sell the video the Evening Nooze, those boats will be GONE FAST.< G >
__________________________________________________ __________
I'll bet you that would be affective. When I called DPR, EPA, Marine Patrol, Sherriff office, when the power boat was going down last month with 150 gallons of old fuel on board, NOT A DAMN PERSON SHOWED UP. We have so many turtles, dolphins, manatees and other marine life here, it makes me sick.

Wind Magic, Let me ask you this question. Is it not true the last one who sets the anchor is responsible for what ever happens next? If I could find a workboat to tow it back where it was, about 1/4 of a mile south of me, and reset the anchor; assuming it has bad gear and it breaks loose again in a day or a week, am I responsible for any damage it causes? I have heard that I would be, and therefore I have concerns about this. Not to mention all I have is an inflatable with a 2 and a half hp/ 4 stroke. Not exactly what is needed to move this boat and reanchor it.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SchoonerMistress-

Your primary responsibility IMHO is to your boat...and keeping it safe... so unless you have some really important reason for staying in that particular anchorage... I would recommend you move on for the duration. Once these two disasters in waiting are dealt with, go back.

Calling the USCG and the local media are probably both good ideas, especially in that order, since if the USCG decides to do nothing, you can tell the media about it.

Just because the boats are engineless, doesn't really mean that they wouldn't be a pollution hazard if they sank, as HS has pointed out. You don't know what else they have aboard... if they have a single can of WD40, that would still be capable of creating a very large slick. Also, if they sink, they will be a hazard to navigation. If they break free, they will be a hazard to navigation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-18-2007
Operating life w/o a net

SchoonerMISTRESS is on a distinguished road
Cruising Dad, Thanks I really appreciate it. I, by myself will not be able to do it, and as I look around there is really no one else about. However, Skip called to check on things and tells me that if no one does the right thing by the time he gets home, something will be done to remedy the situation. Funny you should mention pics, I just took a few. As for what Skip has plans, I thought better than to ask. Time will tell.
I really appreciate all of you jumping to my aid the way you have and you have all given me good ideas. Thank you very much. I will let you know how it all turns out. Though if I use Hello Sailors idea, I may be quite ambiguous about the whole thing.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
Old 07-18-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoonerMISTRESS
Wind Magic, Let me ask you this question. Is it not true the last one who sets the anchor is responsible for what ever happens next? If I could find a workboat to tow it back where it was, about 1/4 of a mile south of me, and reset the anchor; assuming it has bad gear and it breaks loose again in a day or a week, am I responsible for any damage it causes? I have heard that I would be, and therefore I have concerns about this. Not to mention all I have is an inflatable with a 2 and a half hp/ 4 stroke. Not exactly what is needed to move this boat and reanchor it.
Kathleen
aboard
Schooner MISTRESS
I reccomended that actually. I do not know all the rules, honestly. I am sure there is some BS rule about how you reset an anchor trying to save a boat(s) and it ends up sinking anyways and it is your fault. Kinda like helping the guy who has a heart attack and he dies anyways and you are the reason he ate all those french fries all those years. THis is the USA, after all. I am not telling you what you need to do... I am telling you what I would do.

I would do it because it is the RIGHT thing to do, not because it is the best legalistic thing to do. But I have been burnt by people many times for trying to do the right thing and treading down a road eveyone else was scared to walk. THat is just me, and always will be.

What road you choose is up to you. See if there are any others around you that care enough to walk that road with you (and with bigger outboards). Safety in numbers, respect in individuality, righteouness in compassion.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-18-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
YouTube - RBS - Heimlich Maneuver

YouTube - Royal Bank of Scotland Gondola Commercial

Old 07-18-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Windmagic,

WHERE DO YOU GUYS FIND THIS STUFF???!!??? HAHAHHAHA! (probably aimed at me, but still quite funny).

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-18-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Kathleen, in this litigious society, even if there was a "good samaritan" law in Florida that ensured you were not responsible, anyone can still sue you and then you have to show up in court and pay a lawyer and...does the phrase "tar baby" mean anything?

Same thing or worse if you hire someone else to move the boat, they will claim they were your agent and now the suit goes three ways.

One particularly astute US Supreme Court justice named Learned Hand (honest) once remarked that if you give a man no recourse within the law, you can't be surprised when he goes outside of it.

Or, as Hardy told Laurel so many times, "Well, that's another fine mess you've gotten us into, Stanley."
Old 07-18-2007

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
If you're going to move/re-anchor the boats get plenty of pix and get plenty of hands to participate so that blame goes around to plenty of people. And get documentation that none of the gov't agencies would help.
Old 07-18-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Move your boat out of harm's way. That's your only responsibility. And, if you don't, YOU are the only one to blame. "Medical" stuff or not, move your boat!

Bill
Old 07-18-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

I thought you would jump in on this one, Bill (smile).

- CD

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: